Police Handling of Mentally Ill

pop pop

• Administrator

The guy in the I-65 incident wanted someone to kill him.  He tried walking into traffic first. Then he tried to get the police to do it. He tried that for 5 hours until they finally did, in a very obvious case of self defense.

Like it or not, he got what he wanted. Suicide by cop. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Police handling of mentally ill.

Bottom line: 9 officers against 1 man with a box cutter. Take away 1 officer for the off duty Mt. Juliet officer because he didn't have his vest nor his duty belt (I'm assuming). So we're down to 6 MNPD and 2 THP against 1 man with a box cutter. Watching the incident video, I truly believed they tried. However, I need to know why no one stopped and said "Hey, we have rubber bullets and tasers, we should try non-lethal force". It blows my mind that was not an option. If you know he is suffering from a mental break, cut the man some slack and try non lethal first. The majority of the officers had 5+ years and I cannot find a reason why it came down to all 9 officers firing their guns.

I worked at Home Depot for 6 years and constantly used a box cutter. As an accident prone person, I can honestly say even with a sharp one fully extended, they would have been fine. Nothing super glue can't fix. Trust me, I've done it several times to avoid filing workers comp. MNPD has an issue with their response to calls like this. 

The decommissioned officer, well he deserves jail time. 2 rifle rounds after the mans body was on the ground? Yeah. Jail.

Accidentally slicing your finger with it is nothing, I agree, well, unless you get into the nerves or tendons, but still.  But you have to remember, men with boxcutters took 4 aircraft and killed thousands, the difference is determination and the willingness to do damage.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:33 PM, Capbyrd said:

I don’t think there is a single cop in this city that makes only 45k a year.  They are paid better than that. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, Omega said:

Yea, that invalidates the whole statement. 🙄

On 2/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, Capbyrd said:

Cops always complain about how much they make but they are never honest about it.  Most of the cops around here that I know have routinely received w2s for six figures.   They make better money than the majority of the city does. 

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of hearing how underpaid they are.  They aren't.  They volunteered themselves to do that exact job usually for less money than they currently make.   They aren't victims when it comes to money. 

If you want to have an honest conversation about what they are tasked with daily, lets do that.  But money doesn't need to be involved in that conversation. 

https://www.indeed.com/career/police-officer/salaries/TN

so Omega and Cap.....no further comment?  Stats got your tongue?  Double my figure, is your risk of life, family, financial ruin worth it in this crazy world.  YOu can be sick of any stat you want, but the reality of today's world of crime and idiots make policing one of the most risky and undesirable professions IMO.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, chances R said:

so Omega and Cap.....no further comment?  Stats got your tongue?  Double my figure, is your risk of life, family, financial ruin worth it in this crazy world.  YOu can be sick of any stat you want, but the reality of today's world of crime and idiots make policing one of the most risky and undesirable professions IMO.

show me a W2.  I admitted that is the advertised base salary in my area.  I also said that there isn’t a single officer in that department with that number on his w2.  Keep ignoring me all you want.  You won’t change my mind until you show me a w2.  Then I’ll eat my words.  Every last one. 

12 minutes ago, chances R said:

Oh, I know that.  You misunderstood my posts.  While some may make decent salaries, it doesn't equal the BS they have to put up with.  LEO, hell, most first responders and military don't make enough IMO, their service is way underappreciated by the public.  We (not me, the public at large) value spoiled rich sport figures and other entertainers more than the ones we call upon in rough times.

BTW, I couldn't edit my post to add the links I forgot to include, but those figures I posted were from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, and it shows the median US and Memphis salaries.  Which shows some of the career fields making more there.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333051.htm

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

show me a W2.  I admitted that is the advertised base salary in my area.  I also said that there isn’t a single officer in that department with that number on his w2.  Keep ignoring me all you want.  You won’t change my mind until you show me a w2.  Then I’ll eat my words.  Every last one. 

You really think I would ask someone for a W-2 .  Why don’t you just ask a county deputy, or your average street cop.  Or ask how many hrs they work, or extra side jobs?  Or how many divorces in their dept because of the time away while trying to make ends meet or the stress they bring home.

• Thanks 1

My opinion I fully support police military EMS and anyone that goes into harms way to protect us. They deserve our respect and gratitude what. Ever they make it is not enough but then most don’t do it just for a paycheck. They want to help their community. Even the ungrateful ones  no their not perfect. But I sleep better at night knowing they. are watching out for us   Maybe get involved in your city and see for your self how much of a difference all these people make 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, chances R said:

You really think I would ask someone for a W-2 .  Why don’t you just ask a county deputy, or your average street cop.  Or ask how many hrs they work, or extra side jobs?  Or how many divorces in their dept because of the time away while trying to make ends meet or the stress they bring home.

I don’t have to ask.  They volunteer it the information. They are proud of it. Sure, they work a lot of hours.  They also have a ton of time off.  More than I do.