Anyone own a Ram EcoDiesel

I have had numerous Ram’s, my latest is a 2022 Longhorn 2500. While my 2017 2500 was in the shop for an exhaust temp sensor under warranty I did get a free Eco to drive for 2 days. I enjoyed it, not the power of a 6.7 but enjoyable to drive.

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

I've had my Ram 2500 4x4 since I bought it new in 2007 it now has 278,856mi on it and drive every day. To me the eco diesel would be a descent choise for an every day driver, except for the price of fuel. I can get about 500mi out of a tank of fuel in mine if you drive it right and not horse around with it. Like stated above don't except to hook up a gooseneck trailer and 20,000lb load to it. But for light work and a daily driver it should do what you want, the only downside is the price of fuel even though it's not any higher than Gas.

• Like 1

I had a 2016 ecodiesel for 5 years.  Was a really nice truck and got great mileage.   I had the green diesel tune which made it better, but you can’t get the same thing anymore.  The epa stopped them.  

I am a fan of the small diesels in general if you aren’t pulling anything big.   If I could have found the diesel when I bought my new suburban I would have got it.  

• Like 1

i had a VM motorini 2.8 Diesel in a 05 Jeep Liberty and after a number of upgrades to it, it was running great with solid 28mpg hard High way driving. The problems that started popping up on those engines were blown head gaskets and some breaking valve stems once you get to the 200K miles range. I sold it before any of that happend. Iv read the 3.0L ecodiesel is having mostly emissions problems in the Jeep. Apparently it has a number of emissions sensors in the exhaust flow and like cats, exhaust gas temps MUST be reached and maintained for a specific period of time to keep a CEL light from coming on. If the cel light is not cleared properly, Limp mode will result. So, basically, short trips to a dollar general and back home can find your self in limp mode before you know whats going on. Anyway, that was the gripping I had read about on the Jeep Gladiators. Same engine for the most part but how it translates to the Ram 3.0, Iv not done any reading on them specifically.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

I've had my Ram 2500 4x4 since I bought it new in 2007 it now has 278,856mi on it and drive every day. To me the eco diesel would be a descent choise for an every day driver, except for the price of fuel. I can get about 500mi out of a tank of fuel in mine if you drive it right and not horse around with it. Like stated above don't except to hook up a gooseneck trailer and 20,000lb load to it. But for light work and a daily driver it should do what you want, the only downside is the price of fuel even though it's not any higher than Gas.

Honestly, I may not even put 3000 miles a year on it. Main reason I need it is for pulling my 19' bass boat. My 2004 F 150 blew up last fall.

48 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

i had a VM motorini 2.8 Diesel in a 05 Jeep Liberty and after a number of upgrades to it, it was running great with solid 28mpg hard High way driving. The problems that started popping up on those engines were blown head gaskets and some breaking valve stems once you get to the 200K miles range. I sold it before any of that happend. Iv read the 3.0L ecodiesel is having mostly emissions problems in the Jeep. Apparently it has a number of emissions sensors in the exhaust flow and like cats, exhaust gas temps MUST be reached and maintained for a specific period of time to keep a CEL light from coming on. If the cel light is not cleared properly, Limp mode will result. So, basically, short trips to a dollar general and back home can find your self in limp mode before you know whats going on. Anyway, that was the gripping I had read about on the Jeep Gladiators. Same engine for the most part but how it translates to the Ram 3.0, Iv not done any reading on them specifically.

My use for it will be pulling a bass boat minimum 30 miles to lakes. I have read that you want to make sure you get these things hot every so often to help burn up the soot that can build up when you are only going short distances like you mentioned.

11 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

Honestly, I may not even put 3000 miles a year on it. Main reason I need it is for pulling my 19' bass boat. My 2004 F 150 blew up last fall.

What's your boat and trailer weigh?   Guessing it's probably around 3,500 lbs give or take.    Today most full size SUV's with a tow package are rated 5,000 lbs or more so don't lock yourself into a truck unless you want a truck.    

• Like 1
7 hours ago, felinesNfreedom said:

Then it should do just what you want to do. Let us know if you decide to get one. One other thing I wouldn't let it set for long periods of time if your not going to drive it alot make sure you start it once a month, I've had some buddies let their trucks sit for some time without starting and had a time getting them to run, just a heads up but you should be fine the eco diesel probably doesn't have all the crap on them like the Heavy Duty series has. Good luck and hope you find what you want for a decent deal.

Edited by DJTC45
To add to post
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Trekbike said:

What's your boat and trailer weigh?   Guessing it's probably around 3,500 lbs give or take.    Today most full size SUV's with a tow package are rated 5,000 lbs or more so don't lock yourself into a truck unless you want a truck.    

Yeah, I want a truck. My set up weights less that 2500 lbs I believe.

4 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

Then it should do just what you want to do. Let us know if you decide to get one. One other thing I wouldn't let it set for long periods of time if your not going to drive it alot make sure you start it once a month, I've had some buddies let their trucks sit for some time without starting and had a time getting them to run, just a heads up but you should be fine the eco diesel probably doesn't have all the crap on them like the Heavy Duty series has. Good luck and hope you find what you want for a decent deal.

It will get used at least Twice a month for pulling a boat and then if I need to go pick something up for the house. I've got a company truck that is my daily driver so it allows me to keep miles off my personal. I've looked at the 2500 series and honestly they are to expensive for what I need. I'm not worried about fuel cost just because I don't use it enough to care. The silver lining of rising diesel to me was maybe I could find some trucks for cheaper as people wanted to dump them.

Coworker has a  low miles 2016 ram eco diesel. Pretty nice truck for the most part but I don't love it. We have had several work related road trips in it and it has some weird quirks that bother me. It has a strange transmission shudder on part throttle acceleration from a stop. My coworker seems used to it or unaware but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Overall the transmission seems to be the issue not the engine. There are weird hard shifts or hunts for the right gear with moderate to quick transitions. Also seems to have some throttle response issues but that may just be my picky nature and the fact that I am normally driving a sports car or motorcycle. If I am being fair my f-150 is sluggish on the throttle in comparison to my other vehicles too. 

• Like 1

The items mentioned above can be fixed with a transmission tune update from GDE.  It  does make a big difference in shift points.  I had all of that on mine from basically new so never gave it much thought. 

• Like 2

Go to BANKS DIESEL and get a Pedal Monster if they make one for it, it makes a big difference in the throttle response. I pur one on my 2500 and I also put an AFE Transmission Module on it and it ups the line pressure and produces smoother Transmission shifts. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

Coworker has a  low miles 2016 ram eco diesel. Pretty nice truck for the most part but I don't love it. We have had several work related road trips in it and it has some weird quirks that bother me. It has a strange transmission shudder on part throttle acceleration from a stop. My coworker seems used to it or unaware but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Overall the transmission seems to be the issue not the engine. There are weird hard shifts or hunts for the right gear with moderate to quick transitions. Also seems to have some throttle response issues but that may just be my picky nature and the fact that I am normally driving a sports car or motorcycle. If I am being fair my f-150 is sluggish on the throttle in comparison to my other vehicles too. 

From what I have read in 2016 they had a recall due to emissions requirements not meeting standards, like the VW issue. From what people say after they got the truck back from the dealership they noticed the lack of throttle response. I've not really read much about the transmission issues you mentioned, most people claim them to be really smooth.  The truck I am looking at will have 4 years of warranty so I can't delete the EGR or do any tuning until that runs out. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJTC45 said:

Go to BANKS DIESEL and get a Pedal Monster if they make one for it, it makes a big difference in the throttle response. I pur one on my 2500 and I also put an AFE Transmission Module on it and it ups the line pressure and produces smoother Transmission shifts. 

I wont be able to tune until the warranty runs out. I will definitely tune after I lose my warranty. 

• Like 1

Call Green Diesel Engineering and talk to them.  They have a solution to help with a lot of this that won't affect your warranty.   It isn't as good as mine was from them as I had a completely different ECU and swapped them out when I took it to the dealer, but they have newer EPA approved options that still work better than factory.

https://greendieselengineering.com/product/ram-1500-ecodiesel-hot-tune-performance-fuel-economy/

• Like 2
Just now, Hozzie said:

Call Green Diesel Engineering and talk to them.  They have a solution to help with a lot of this that won't affect your warranty.   It isn't as good as mine was from them as I had a completely different ECU and swapped them out when I took it to the dealer, but they have newer EPA approved options that still work better than factory.

https://greendieselengineering.com/product/ram-1500-ecodiesel-hot-tune-performance-fuel-economy/

Sweet, I will give those guys a shout. Thanks

20 minutes ago, 1fast4by said:

As a mechanic... Go for it, they make me a lot of money breaking down all the time.. 🙃

Hide contents

If you go to a forum and search that seems to be true. That's why I've been trying to get first hand experience. You guys see a bunch? What type of millage on the trucks?

2 hours ago, felinesNfreedom said:

If you go to a forum and search that seems to be true. That's why I've been trying to get first hand experience. You guys see a bunch? What type of millage on the trucks?

Yeah, they tend to break the EVERYTHING all the time lol.

Diesel emissions issues right and left as well.

I had a fleet customer of mine purchase 15 of them... Within the first year they swapped all of them out for F150 5.0s

The regular gas Hemi trucks tend to be trouble free. I would also caution against anything Chrysler with the "3.6 Pentistar" engine