Squirrel hunting and eating squirrels

I have hunted and ate squirrels most of my life up until my Dad died a few years ago. I started up again this year and shot a few. They just don't seem to taste as good as they used to. Anyone else have their taste buds do this to them? I usually cook them in the crock pot. Do I need a new recipe? I like to shoot them but cannot in good conscience not eat them. Maybe I'm just getting old... LOL

My grandmother always pan fried squirrel after rolling the pieces in an egg batter and then in flour with her secret seasoning.聽I think when my grandfather stopped hunting about 50 years ago was last time I had squirrel. I do shoot the occasional squirrel that is being a pest but some creature cleans it up by the next morning sp it doesn't go to waste.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Whisper said:

My mother used to make squirrel salad, using the same recipe as her chicken salad recipe, but substituting squirrel meat.聽 Did the same with rabbit.

Cheers,

Whisper

Now that's interesting!聽 Not sure I've ever heard of that!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Braise or make Brunswick Stew鈥otta break down those tough little muscles. 24 hours in the fridge wouldn鈥檛 hurt either. Don鈥檛 freeze right away. You want them to go through rigermortis and then come back out of it, that is the muscle starting to break down (in a good way).聽

acorn time of year is good.聽

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.聽 Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.