Less of a gunsmithing question and more of a story...

So I'm a Mixed-Handedness person, some things feel better right handed, some feel better left handed... and although I shoot long guns right handed, I've always felt more comfortable shooting handguns lefty... which all my fellow lefties understand the struggles of what comes with that... swapping mag releases and what not... 

Anyway, even though most mag release swaps are simple, and anyone with access to YouTube can do most of them on their own, I always take mine to a gunsmith. I'd much rather pay the 10-20$ then risk something going wrong. Just like what happened today. 

As the smith was working on my swap, another employee came up behind him to ask him a question, which I'm assuming startled him a little bit because he flinched, causing one of the springs from the release assembly to launch clear across the room. About 2 hours, a broom, and some magnets later,  the sucker is still nowhere to be found... 

As easy as the "oh I'd be ***** " comes to mind, I try to remind myself as much as possible that we are all human, and the exact reason I brought it in, is because accidents DO happen, even to the experienced gunsmiths. As I watched him trying to explain what happened, sweat dripping down his face, I imagined being in his position.. and to be honest I really felt bad for the poor guy lol . 

To make a long story not any shorter, on top of the countless apologies, they ordered the replacement parts and are doing what is necessary to fix the mishap. 

Maybe I could have done it myself... or maybe I'd be only one burp-sniffle-fart away the same thing happening to me, but I'd be footing the bill for the replacement parts instead of them.... 

*shrug* Only God knows... 

Happy Independence Everyone.

• Like 3

For the service by itself probably nobody... but I can't seem to walk into a gun shop without spending more money than I should... So its usually an add-on type of thing, I've had some done free while spending enough. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

You don’t loose springs. They vaporize. Owning a gun shop with an in-house gunsmith for 6 years. Upon closing the shop, we knew we would find a ton of springs. Nope, maybe one or two. There should have been a hundreds. If your gunsmith doesn’t drink brown water, smoke like crazy and cuss everything he lost a spring, be Leary of their talent. He passed in January and damn we miss him. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Just one question, as a south paw myself, what pistol was the wrong to correct fix done to?

CZ P10s ... a recommendation from my father who also shoots handguns lefty.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RoweUSA said:

causing one of the springs from the release assembly to launch clear across the room

I can not remember where I read it, but if you take things apart things have springs, do it inside a clear bag. that way when, and they will, go flying the spring will not go far.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I can not remember where I read it, but if you take things apart things have springs, do it inside a clear bag. that way when, and they will, go flying the spring will not go far.

You probably read it on the entire internet and heard it from people that speak from experience, lol.

I decided to change the extractor on my Ruger Mark II one time.  Did it in the garage.  Heard the noise tiny spring bounce off something close after it ejected.  Ended up having to order a new one.  Found the original 3 months later after cleaning up my disgrace of a garage. 

• Like 1

Being a southpaw myself, I have tried reversing mag release on pistols, but I have gotten so used to using my trigger finger to release the mag that using my thumb to release a mag seems awkward.  I am sure if I was shooting competition, I might feel different, but I don't so I'm not too worried. 

I also got really good a using my left hand to operate the bolt (over the top) of a 22LR rifle when I did shoot competition in high school.

• Like 1

I was installing a part on a neighbor's AR-15 a few months ago and sent his buffer detent spring flying. I felt like an idiot and replaced it with one out of one of my rifles. I found it later that night stuck to a magnetic strip above my workbench.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Being a southpaw myself, I have tried reversing mag release on pistols, but I have gotten so used to using my trigger finger to release the mag that using my thumb to release a mag seems awkward.  I am sure if I was shooting competition, I might feel different, but I don't so I'm not too worried. 

Same here.

On pistols with reversible mag releases, after switching them, I've switched them back.

7 hours ago, BigK said:

I was installing a part on a neighbor's AR-15 a few months ago and sent his buffer detent spring flying. I felt like an idiot and replaced it with one out of one of my rifles. I found it later that night stuck to a magnetic strip above my workbench.

I’ve done that as well. I was able to temporarily use a spring out of a ball point pen. It wasn’t the best, but I was able to get the rifle back together. 

• Like 2

I my youth, my group worked on an electron microscope among other electronics at UT.  We used e-rings and springs so small you could just see them with normal eyesight.  We called them “Jesus springs and Jesus clips”.  One would fly off and we would say, “Jesus!  Where’d it go!”

• Haha 2

Many years ago I had a small part go flying out of a pistol I was working on. Despite my best efforts, I never did find it and had to order a replacement. Some 8-10 years later we bought another house and I was packing up my shop. I moved and old rolled up target on the top shelf and guess what fell out? 🙄

My current shop has a number of small items hidden in its neither regions. Including a 1911 recoil spring plug that I swear went through the roof and is now in orbit. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes I have sent a few springs into orbit over the years!

The most recent about two years ago, was a Ruger LCP recoil spring, you know it’s consists of and outer and inner spring. I managed to launch one of them and couldn’t find it anywhere. 

Ordered a new set and to this day have never found the missing one. 

BTW I am a lefty and for decades thought how great it would be add an ambidextrous safety to ARs or 1911s.  I never did I just adapted.  

• Like 1