Everybody cool with the P320 these days?

Rainsford

Lots of noise going on out there, but I was curious if everybody seems to have settled down regarding accidental discharges and drop safety of the P320. My friend is selling me one at a very good deal, but before I take it I wanted to check. I’ve never owned a Sig before.

• Like 1

There are two camps on the Sig P320.

The first is that all the unintended discharges are human error.

The second camp is that the pistol can fire without human interaction.

Do be aware that if someone has a Sig P320 that does go off without human interaction and property damage is the result or a person is harmed, you will be sued if you 'knew' of the potential of the possibility of a discharge without human interaction. If someone is injured or dies, a prosecutor could seek an indictment for reckless endangerment or if death results, reckless homicide. Is that a chance you're willing to take? 

As the situation has not been resolved for certain in either case, I personally wouldn't own one.

There are plenty of pistols available without the cloud hanging over the P320 at this time. 

As an aside, do you want to buy a gun without complete confidence in that firearm?

Sig makes good guns. This one may be the exception so why take a chance?

Edited by crc4
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, crc4 said:

There are two camps on the Sig P320.

The first is that all the unintended discharges are human error.

The second camp is that the pistol can fire without human interaction.

Do be aware that if someone has a Sig P320 that does go off without human interaction and property damage is the result or a person is harmed, you will be sued if you 'knew' of the potential of the possibility of a discharge without human interaction. If someone is injured or dies, a prosecutor could seek an indictment for reckless endangerment or if death results, reckless homicide. Is that a chance you're willing to take? 

As the situation has not been resolved for certain in either case, I personally wouldn't own one.

There are plenty of pistols available without the cloud hanging over the P320 at this time. 

As an aside, do you want to buy a gun without complete confidence in that firearm?

Sig makes good guns. This one may be the exception so why take a chance?

It’s purely a range toy. And he just told me he had the voluntary program done. So my assumption is it’s safe at this point! I’ve always wanted to try one out.

Edited by 62caster
  • Administrator

The post-recall P320s are fine.  That video shown above is clearly the result of something that didn't belong in the holster with the gun.  You can see the gun get fully pushed into the holster as the cop bent over, and then BOOM.

Here's the deal:  Anytime a cop has a negligent discharge, FOP protocol (whether formalized or not) is to blame the gun.  That's just how it works.

I've got several friends whom I trust who have been through the P320 armorer's course and they all say that there is no way that the P320, post-recall, can fire without the trigger being depressed.  Period.

My own P320 is carried often and I have close to 3,000 rounds through it at last count.  It has never discharged out of battery or unintentionally.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, TGO David said:

The post-recall P320s are fine.  That video shown above is clearly the result of something that didn't belong in the holster with the gun.  You can see the gun get fully pushed into the holster as the cop bent over, and then BOOM.

Here's the deal:  Anytime a cop has a negligent discharge, FOP protocol (whether formalized or not) is to blame the gun.  That's just how it works.

I've got several friends whom I trust who have been through the P320 armorer's course and they all say that there is no way that the P320, post-recall, can fire without the trigger being depressed.  Period.

My own P320 is carried often and I have close to 3,000 rounds through it at last count.  It has never discharged out of battery or unintentionally.

So you're saying that there was something wrong with the pre-recall Sig P320s? That they could and did fire without human interference? 

That's interesting.

If it has been through the recall is should be fine.

Mine has accompanied me to the range many times.  Has been drawn, shot, re-holstered and never blew my leg off.

With that said, I don't drop my guns.  Don't put my finger on the trigger unless planning to discharge it. 

Honestly, I feel less safe with a cocked and locked 1911 even in a good holster. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, crc4 said:

So you're saying that there was something wrong with the pre-recall Sig P320s? That they could and did fire without human interference? 

That's interesting.

This is news to you?  I'm not saying it; Sig Sauer is saying it.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TGO David said:

This is news to you?  I'm not saying it; Sig Sauer is saying it.

It is news to me as I don't shoot Sig Sauer firearms, but have read and seen of the problems with the Sig Sauer P320.

Just because Sig Sauer says they fixed it doesn't inspire any more confidence that when Takada said they fixed the exploding air bags in vehicles.

46 minutes ago, crc4 said:

It is news to me as I don't shoot Sig Sauer firearms, but have read and seen of the problems with the Sig Sauer P320.

Just because Sig Sauer says they fixed it doesn't inspire any more confidence that when Takada said they fixed the exploding air bags in vehicles.

If you choose not to believe, then simply "don't". I don't think anybody is trying to force a Sig P320 on you without your consent, right? And I mean that sincerely, in this day and age, with AI creeping into everything, and people with agendas and true motives so well concealed, I don't believe much of anything any group of people claim anymore either!

I just yesterday, on another gun forum, ran into a compelling post from a newer member, about the passing of his family dog, and it turned out to be totally fabricated and posted by an AI robot troll. Exposed by a program that assigns a reliability percentage on whether or not a given passage of text was created by human or artificial intelligence. It accessed the post as 100% AI created, as I recall.

So if you want to believe that Sig Sauer is full of crap when they claim the problem is fixed, just remember this; at one point in time, Sig Sauer Corporate would have staked their reputation on the premise that such a problem didn't even exist, and they would have defended that argument strongly!

Edited by OMCHamlin
3 hours ago, OMCHamlin said:

If you choose not to believe, then simply "don't". I don't think anybody is trying to force a Sig P320 on you without your consent, right? And I mean that sincerely, in this day and age, with AI creeping into everything, and people with agendas and true motives so well concealed, I don't believe much of anything any group of people claim anymore either!

I just yesterday, on another gun forum, ran into a compelling post from a newer member, about the passing of his family dog, and it turned out to be totally fabricated and posted by an AI robot troll. Exposed by a program that assigns a reliability percentage on whether or not a given passage of text was created by human or artificial intelligence. It accessed the post as 100% AI created, as I recall.

So if you want to believe that Sig Sauer is full of crap when they claim the problem is fixed, just remember this; at one point in time, Sig Sauer Corporate would have staked their reputation on the premise that such a problem didn't even exist, and they would have defended that argument strongly!

The problem may be fixed; I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm saying that gun companies, or any company, that first denies a problem, then says the problem is fixed leaves me with a lack of confidence in that product and that company. I also won't buy GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicles as I have no confidence in those products and companies.

I won't buy SIg Sauer products as they don't appeal to me for my purposes. In particular I wouldn't buy a P320. It's just as simple as that.

The OP asked for opinions and comments. I've given mine and I'm done.

Edited by crc4
On 9/28/2023 at 2:43 PM, crc4 said:

The problem may be fixed; I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm saying that gun companies, or any company, that first denies a problem, then says the problem is fixed leaves me with a lack of confidence in that product and that company. I also won't buy GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicles as I have no confidence in those products and companies.

I won't buy SIg Sauer products as they don't appeal to me for my purposes. In particular I wouldn't buy a P320. It's just as simple as that.

The OP asked for opinions and comments. I've given mine and I'm done.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't attacking you or your opinion, I am in a sense agreeing with you. I DO have several Sigs, 365s and a 210 Legend, but note the lack of P320 on that list, I've tried, heck, I've even handled a National Match conditioned Sig P320, built by a USMC armorer at Quantico, it was nice, but no. But if I come to feel a lack of trust in a particular model or a brand, it's a no-go for me either. Confidence is darned important in something like a sidearm.

OP was asking about buying a Sig 320 I would have no problem buying one that has been thru recall or a newer version  I had the original 320 and when it was voluntarily recalled I sent it back     Sig had it back in 3 days. And stayed in contact the entire time Great customer service.  Yes I would buy Sig products  

• Like 3
  • Administrator
14 hours ago, chances R said:

There is at least one well Known trainer that does not allow 320 s in his class unless it has gone through recall.

It is certainly his prerogative and one that I might enact myself were I teaching a firearms course to the general public.

I own over a dozen P320's. I have managed to repeatedly coax several of my pre-fix guns to fire (I loaded them with primer-only brass for testing) just by rapping the beavertail on a rubber mat. Later, Sig announced they had replicated and confirmed the problem.

I have since had all my 1st gens updated, and cannot get them to fire on their own. I trust them and carry them in a variety of configurations, provide them for my family, and recommend them (along with others) to my handgun students.

P320 Collection.jpg

Edited by DocHawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

62caster,

Did you acquire the P320?  How do you like it?

I recently bought one.  I like it OK.  Not the greatest, but probably in my top 10.  If you got it, and it's the 17-round version, you might check out ACT mags as they're about half the price of the Sig mags at $23.  I bought a couple from Greg Cote LLC, and they've functioned perfectly (about 100 rounds through each mag).  Also, Aim Surplus has used Sig 17-round mags for $25.

25 minutes ago, patrick37027 said:

62caster,

Did you acquire the P320?  How do you like it?

I recently bought one.  I like it OK.  Not the greatest, but probably in my top 10.  If you got it, and it's the 17-round version, you might check out ACT mags as they're about half the price of the Sig mags at $23.  I bought a couple from Greg Cote LLC, and they've functioned perfectly (about 100 rounds through each mag).  Also, Aim Surplus has used Sig 17-round mags for $25.

I did! I am a Glock fanboy at heart. But this thing is awesome. It’s the compact version. Feels so good. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 10/23/2023 at 5:16 PM, 62caster said:

I did! I am a Glock fanboy at heart. But this thing is awesome. It’s the compact version. Feels so good. 

Not sure what grip module you're using, but the Wilson Combat module for the compact (15rd) is excellent.

If you run 17rd mags, get the Brouwer Solutions M1811 module.  It completely changed the gun for me.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

love mine.  have tried w/ brass only to replicate a primer hit without a trigger pull.  design seems solid and no strikes after repeated and multiple tests.  

Points great and hits where i aim every time.  

I think the issues are resolved for good.  

just verify it's been updated or is a post update version.

On 11/8/2023 at 7:33 AM, TGO David said:

Not sure what grip module you're using, but the Wilson Combat module for the compact (15rd) is excellent.

If you run 17rd mags, get the Brouwer Solutions M1811 module.  It completely changed the gun for me.

The Brouwer is phenomenal.  

Add the agency arms send slide & trigger and you’ve got a work of art.   Glocks just can’t hang with the modularity of the 320.  

• Like 1