Local gas prices

gregintenn

30 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Is this variance due to local tax differences or what?

Finally someone noticed what I've been saying!! To answer your question, I believe it's capitalism/greed.

I don't think there are local taxes on gas in TN, only state level. I've been noticing the same thing for over a year now. It changed during COVID. If I leave Knoxville and drive to a rural area, gas is sometimes .40 less. When you consider the fuel depot is in Knoxville it makes no sense. They had to pay more to haul the gas to the rural area, so if anything, you'd think it would cost more. 

If anyone has a better explanation I'm willing to listen. 

• Like 2

There's a gas station just outside of Memphis that's always about $0.75 more a gal than anyone else. 

I try to get as much of my gas as I can at Kroger for near free. My Wife gets points. The last time we got it for $0.02 a gal. Usually it's $0.30ish a gal. I use an app to get money back on gas everywhere else. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Finally someone noticed what I've been saying!! To answer your question, I believe it's capitalism/greed.

I don't think there are local taxes on gas in TN, only state level. I've been noticing the same thing for over a year now. It changed during COVID. If I leave Knoxville and drive to a rural area, gas is sometimes .40 less. When you consider the fuel depot is in Knoxville it makes no sense. They had to pay more to haul the gas to the rural area, so if anything, you'd think it would cost more. 

If anyone has a better explanation I'm willing to listen. 

I knew there were state and federal gas taxes. I was unsure about local.

Several years ago, my little hometown had the cheapest gas prices around. They’ve crept up in the last few years to where Gallatin, Lebanon, and Cookeville are all 20-30 cents cheaper.  That sorta makes sense, as you’d be hard pressed to haul a tanker of gasoline here without going through one of these towns.

I’ve never really been able to make sense of it. I suppose they simply charge what the market will bear.

Franklin is always $0.50 or so more than Lebanon. I do my best not to fill up there. But gas prices in general frustrate me as I'm sure it does most others. Jumped a quarter per gallon Sunday night everywhere in town. As we deplete our strategic reserve I expect it's about to get much worse. 

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing gas back around $2.75 which is nice.

My algorithm recommended this article which is worth sharing. It talks about our record oil production and how there is speculation that the Saudis may try to flood the market to bring prices down even more, which would hurt US producers. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/commodities/us-oil-production-outlook-opec-cuts-saudi-arabia-flood-market-2023-12