Lever Guns

JKGlock17

2 hours ago, JKGlock17 said:

this is what i wanted to hear. i wanted to hear the pros and cons. With it being my first one i thought maybe i should try out a pistol cartridge first, but i am so "all in" with everything that i needed to hear this. Thank you and i think i am gonna go with maybe a 357 for my first one, but i saw that 500 s&w magnum and i got the twitch again LOL i think 357 would be a good place to start, do you know which brand would be my best bang for the buck and do you know if a 357 lever gun shoots 38 like a revolver or is that only in revolvers?

I shoot both 38 specials and 357 in my Rossi Puma. Some folks claim wadcutters won’t feed well in some lever rifles.

I have the Rossi in 357 and an 1894 Marlin chambered in 44 Magnum. I’ve been happy with both. They are both older models and not recent production. I also have an 1894 Marlin in 38-40. It’s over a hundred years old. It’s fun to shoot, but you’d want to handload for it as well.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from the 45-70. I’d just suggest you price ammo for it, and maybe shoot someone else’s. They are easy to sell if you get one and decide you don’t like it though.

A 39 Marlin 22lr is sure a fun little rifle!

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I shoot both 38 specials and 357 in my Rossi Puma. Some folks claim wadcutters won’t feed well in some lever rifles.

I have the Rossi in 357 and an 1894 Marlin chambered in 44 Magnum. I’ve been happy with both. They are both older models and not recent production. I also have an 1894 Marlin in 38-40. It’s over a hundred years old. It’s fun to shoot, but you’d want to handload for it as well.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from the 45-70. I’d just suggest you price ammo for it, and maybe shoot someone else’s. They are easy to sell if you get one and decide you don’t like it though.

A 39 Marlin 22lr is sure a fun little rifle!

you have given me some things to research and read about. i appreciate the details with your equipment as well and i am reading some things about all them. 

• Like 1

The Henry 22 (no offense HiPoint) just did not feel as well put together as I hoped. The Rossi was a sweet shooting rife. I just have a thing for older and vintage rifles. My oldest is a 1922 Winchester SRC, my newest is from 1980 (Marlin 375 Winchester).   I started of slowly and quickly went all in. It did help that  circumstances in life compelled me to divest of all my ARs and related supplies which were quickly turned into lever guns. 

• Like 1
On 11/21/2023 at 8:15 PM, Snaveba said:

A savage 99 is on the list. I will probably try to stay in a caliber I already have (most likely 35 rem).  

i started with one Henry 22 and now have  7 Marlins, three Winchesters, plus a few other cool old rifles. I have sold the Henry as well as a Rossi, a Marlin and a Winchester. I guess since late 2021, I have bought 14 lever guns. 

8 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I started of slowly and quickly went all in. It did help that  circumstances in life compelled me to divest of all my ARs and related supplies which were quickly turned into lever guns. 

Slowly??? you should just delete those underline words. Makes the statement more accurate! 😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, JKGlock17 said:

this is what i wanted to hear. i wanted to hear the pros and cons. With it being my first one i thought maybe i should try out a pistol cartridge first, but i am so "all in" with everything that i needed to hear this. Thank you and i think i am gonna go with maybe a 357 for my first one, but i saw that 500 s&w magnum and i got the twitch again LOL i think 357 would be a good place to start, do you know which brand would be my best bang for the buck and do you know if a 357 lever gun shoots 38 like a revolver or is that only in revolvers?

I had a couple of 3030 early on, a Marlin 336 and a Winchester 94. sold them both. but that was when LRs were cheap and plentiful and could be had for a couple of hundred bucks. Boy do I wish I still had both of them now!

Fast forward to 2020, my wife bought me a Rossi 92 Trapper in .357. This has become one of my favorite rifles to woods bum with! it's a joy to carry around (lighter than either the Remlin or the Henry that I looked at the same time), accurate and the 16" barrel is the perfect length to get the most out of factory .357 magnum ammunition.

Since, I've added a Henry Classic .22 and have a 1953 3030 Winchester 94 in lay-a-way at my LGS.  I'll be looking for another Marlin next, then a Savage.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moped said:

Slowly??? you should just delete those underline words. Makes the statement more accurate! 😂🤣😂

Truth. I had the Henry for a bit before I bought the Rossi. I had the Rossi for a month or so then I bought 3 more in a month. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My youngest daughter and her family are here, and we were shooting yesterday, and she asked if I would get the Henry Lever out so she could shoot it. She loves that rifle. Hope to get it out on Friday and bust some caps. It is 38/357 Mag caliber. She asked me to give the rifle to her when I get finished with it. I am.

We have shot up some expensive ammo this month. We have fired around 2,000 all totaled, rounds this past 2 weeks. With the 3 newbies I trained last week and my grandkids this week. They look forward to this week every year. My 13 Y O granddaughter took my Model 60 22 w/scope and was dinging the 22 steel tree target with 2" swing out targets at 50" feet like crazy. That thing is a "hoot to shoot". She out shot her brother, mom and dad with that rifle. That thing is a tack driver. Shoots 1" groups at 50 yards off sandbags.  

Edited to add; They all want to shoot the Henry lever. Guess another 100/200 or so rounds of 38 Spl and 357 Mag are going to get burned, L/w. I will say the Henry is one of my favorite rifles also. Just something about swinging that lever. When I was a kid my dad had a 243-lever gun. I shot it all the time. He also had a pre-model 10 38 Spl revolver and I fired it whenever he got it out. Guess my love for them followed me from kiddom into adulthood.

Truly thankful today for family, and epically for Jesus Christ, and what he has done for us all. I praise Him.  

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 9:47 PM, TripleGGG said:

My problem is I've never met a lever gun I didn't like and it shows. Ha

I hear ya! My first gun 40 years ago was an Ithaca Model 66 20 gauge. I guess it wasn’t technically a “lever action”, it was more “lever-activated break-open” for the single shot. Later on, I was able to pick up a 12 gauge as well. Now I need to find the 410 😀. While obviously not in the same category as the rifles, it started my love of the levers. 

image.jpg

• Like 2