M1 Garand value

I'm looking at an M1 Garand to "possibly" purchase (older fellas friend) and wanted to know what it's basic value might be.

It has a very low round count (supposedly 180 + Greek ball ammo)Garand7.thumb.jpg.e924d54f22703d8e4e09b008cab9d06d.jpgDutch VAR barrel, 40'S Springfield action, Springfield OP rod-trigger housing-bolt. NM front rear sights, installed in a new Boyds stock with new metal. Will get a few 8 round clips. cleaning items, Plus I get some Greek ball ammo. Plus a spare complete stock, it needs refinishing.Garand5.thumb.jpg.2442c64e9b72b8e6947b6675f1c6a74c.jpg

Showed me a couple targets with Greek ball ammo and was impressive. gauges indicated ME 0.5 and TE 1.0.

I know it's not an Expert or Collectors grade.

Pics attached.

Would shooting it first be the best option & what you think a decent offer might be?

You Garand guys would know - what you think?

Garand 2.jpg

Garand 4.jpg

Garand 5.jpg

Garand 12.jpg

Garand 11.jpg

• Like 3

I bought a really nice H&R a few years back for $950. I thought that was a good price. Prices seem to have climbed since then, and a Springfield tends to command a premium over an H&R for whatever reason. I'd agree $1200 sounds about right.

Every gun guy should own a Garand. They are great fun to shoot.

There are currently three Springfield Garands in the classifieds here. Two appear to be in very good condition and are priced at $1600 and $1650. The third does not appear to be in as good a condition as the others, and it is priced at $1000. None has sold yet.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

This is like buying a mis matched 1911 GI Pistol,it will be a bottom of the pile gun and considered a shooter worth about $800 bucks.  If your think $1200   and for a few hundred more you can buy one that will go up in price instead of having a gun that will hardly ever increase.   Example   - In Nashville I ran across  Wally-The M1 Garand Guy  last year and he started selling off his personal collection,he would carry one at a time into the gunshows and sell them.  His low priced mismatch guns he would get no or low offers on and when he got up to his nice all or mostly correct guns  they sold at asking price in hours.    

If you get near Atlanta or Birmingham or just get some gun buddies and drive down to the CMP  Where they have racks full from about $700 to $900 for a decent one then you will have one direct from US Army stock. Staff will help you pick out the best one or more.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Will said:

If you get near Atlanta or Birmingham or just get some gun buddies and drive down to the CMP  Where they have racks full from about $700 to $900 for a decent one then you will have one direct from US Army stock. Staff will help you pick out the best one or more.

Do they still have inventory? Stories were that CMP had mostly dried up, which was the reason why prices jumped 50% or more in the last few years. 

For years they were about half price of open market values,as a lot of gun stores started getting them on trades and ordering them from CMP to resell.    Well then the gun stores complained that CMP was selling under market value and the CMP was forced to raise the price as per CMP.

Yep, every gun guy (or gal) should have one.  Going down to CMP in Anniston is the best bet for picking out what appeals to you.  Make sure that you have all the documents you need before going!

The OPs rifle looks like a good buy at $1200.  The Danish VAR barrels are sought after.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few years back I went to Anniston for the three day armorers course. You build up an M1 from just parts, install and headspace a new barrel. We took a walk through the "warehouse". There were pallets, 5 high and probably 10-15 deep and around a football field long of rifles. They go through a pallet at a time, serviceable rifles are graded and cleaned up a bit. Unserviceable rifles are stripped down for serviceable parts. Photography was not allowed in the warehouse area.

They should still have a rifle or two left. Only about six or so guys working on this, so the product kinda dribbles out about as fast as people buy them up. The shipment from the P.I. is still the last batch. Politics keeps any more being repatriated.

I do have some photos from the shop and the range at Talladega in my phone. Windows does not come with a viable editor though, so I'm having trouble posting those. I may have an editor in my phone, but won't go through the trouble unless y'all are interested.

I dunno about anyone forcing up prices. I've been involved with the CMP for over forty years now. I've seen prices steadily rise over time. There was a time when a few FFL dealers would use sketchy practices to get their hands on large batches and mark them up pretty high and resell them. (I won't use the S-P words) They have tried to put in place controls so that doesn't keep happening, but nothing's perfect.

1200 seems to be a middle of the road shooter price these days on the street. You might find a better deal in Anniston, depends.

YMMV.

Edited by Pilot4prophet
Clarity
  • Like 1