Looking for a mid-TN good machinist/gunsmith that can do metric threads

Not having much luck. I need to thread a barrel for M14x1 LH for a suppressor on my PSL. I am up the Clarksville area but willing to drive especially if I can coordinate a same-day service. Any suggestions a really good Machinist/gunsmith that can do the job?

• 2 weeks later...

Threading is something that can be tricky but can also be done well if well trained. 

We indicate in off of 2 different points in the bore of the barrel by adjusting front and rear spiders on the lathe.

Short barrels (shorter than the head stock length) have to use the Viper jig after indicating that in.

All that said to say be careful that anyone says "I can thread that easy" actually knows how to thread and then knows what is important about threading a barrel.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:30 PM, slickrick0999 said:

Threading is something that can be tricky but can also be done well if well trained. 

We indicate in off of 2 different points in the bore of the barrel by adjusting front and rear spiders on the lathe.

Short barrels (shorter than the head stock length) have to use the Viper jig after indicating that in.

All that said to say be careful that anyone says "I can thread that easy" actually knows how to thread and then knows what is important about threading a barrel.

Can you do it without removing the barrel from the receiver?

Absolutely.    Mostly depends on how big the headstock of the lathe is as mentioned above.   There are a lot of ways to do it, some better than others but anyone who has done many should have the tools to do it.    There are various types of jigs to hold the action and be able to adjust runout.  

I agree with SlickRick that you want someone who knows what they are doing, but it isn’t hard to get a barrel dialed in to thread it.   It just takes a little patience.  

• Like 1

Left hand is just the change of a lever.   Not any harder to do than right hand.  Even metric isn’t any harder, it’s more about what kind of lathe they have and if it has a universal gear box or the right change gears for the metric thread.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DO-TN said:

Its a PSL, Long AK action, 24 inch barrel. The biggest hang up is the left-hand threads I need. Plenty of people threading barrels, not many in metric, even less in left hand.

So, like the AK variant PSL?

Does it have front sight post on barrel?

I'm betting that is your biggest hangup getting someone to do it.

I think on our lathe we need approximately 24" of unobstructed barrel no bigger than around 1"ish to go through the headstock. 

I just sent a barrel off to Class 3 Machining in Texas. $150 to thread and re-crown the cut down barrel of a Marlin 336 Trapper I’m making. He can thread a lever gun with the barrel still on a stripped receiver. Email him at morgan@class3machining.com and ask if he can cut the threads you want.  I’ll post pics once I get the rifle back. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have Rich at Echo Three Armory in Chapel Hill do all my work.  Been using him since he opened up and he's always done a fantastic job.  Most recently he cut down a Bartlein barrel in 6CM for my Terminus Zeus action, threaded the muzzle, and chambered it. It is a legit 1/3rd MOA tack driver. 

Edited by Paulie771

If you cant find a fit at any of the excellent craftsmen mentioned above, I can thread your AK/M in M14x1LH with the front sight post using a bore-centric Thread Alignment Tool. My first choice is always a lathe, but sometimes pressed and populated barrel assemblies don't give you that luxury. I've done a couple hundred; lots of AKM's were muzzle-neutered in the CA market, even requiring removal of welded thread caps or worse.

David in Chattanooga 

• Like 2