Anybody have any experience with Norinco 1911 a1?

I've got a chance at one seems to be in nice shape what little information I could find has to do with tool marks on the inside mainly which doesn't really bother me but supposedly the frame and slide are made out of some good stuff and I've read theyre reliable

Anybody here have one?

• Like 1

I had one several years ago.  It was an awesome 1911, it was as reliable as my Colt Combat Commander.  I was talked into trading it in for a Glock 20 and I regretted it from the get go. I would buy it back if I could. Interesting 2nd hand story about them:  back when Lakewood was a city, the Chief of Police supposedly carried one that he had tricked out for competition and was very accurate and successful with it. May not be true, I don’t know, but I do know the one I had was both reliable and as accurate as my Commander.

• Like 1

Ive always heard that the Chinese made them from old railroad steel and such and they were darn near indestrucitable. I remember in the 90's seeing them in cardboard boxes for $200 still packed in cosmoline. Stupid me should have bought 2 LOL . 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, tercel89 said:

Ive always heard that the Chinese made them from old railroad steel and such and they were darn near indestrucitable. I remember in the 90's seeing them in cardboard boxes for $200 still packed in cosmoline. Stupid me should have bought 2 LOL . 

No doubt it's amazing how much some of this stuff used to go for even recently

I’ve owned 2 over the years.Both were reliable and accurate.I’ve heard the story of how hard the steel is but never gave much credence to it until I wanted John Harrison to mill the slide on one and install his sights and he declined but at the same time both Wilson and Clark were working on them and doing packages.I suspect it’s urban/internet myth.

• Like 1

I have one. Not much to look at, but completely reliable and combat accurate. Good gun. 

Norincos were used as a base for many very nice custom guns because they were so cheap. Yeah, the steel is very hard. I've also heard the old railroad track rumors. I've also heard that if the custom job included any mill work that the gunsmith would add the cost of a new cutter bit as the steel would ruin the one he used. 

I originally bought mine with the idea of customizing it. But then it occurred to me that there aren't many box stock Norinco 1911s  left out there. So I left it alone. 😉

Buy it and be sure to post pictures. 👍

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2

I had one for a number of years, until some asshole broke into my house and stole it, along with a Browning HP. It outshot every factory 1911 I put it up against.  Notice I said factory, not custom. The only thing I did was change the grips out and add a two piece, full length guide rod. I still have the box, in the hopes that one day someone will pawn it or trade it in and it'll show up in a search and I will get it back.

Back to the outshooting part, I put it up against a friend's SA with Novak sights. We each took turns shooting both pistols and the Norinco shot better for both of us.  I did this with a Colt Series 70 and a Taurus 1911 with the same results with each of those pistols owners. For the $250 I paid for it, it was outstanding pistol!!! I'd love to have it back!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Just wondering, did Norinco ever make a bad gun? 

I had a Norinco JW22 (clone of a Browning SA22.) It was hopeless getting it to run right

Edited by 10-Ring
12 hours ago, Gurn said:

Just wondering, did Norinco ever make a bad gun? 

I heard some of the 1911s had barrel fit  problems.I never shot the two I owned enough to see any issues.

Edited by et45