FL Sheriff Encourages Homeowners To "Shoot To Kill" Intruders

You gotta love the quotes:

"If somebody's breaking into your house, you're more than welcome to shoot them in Santa Rosa County. We prefer that you do, actually."

"Come see us. We have a gun safety class we put on every other Saturday. And if you take that, you'll shoot a lot better and hopefully you'll save the taxpayers money."

You'd think that someone is over all the BS they have to deal with everyday.

• Like 2

He could have worded it better. But, fact is that if somebody kicks in your front door, you better fear for your life. And, shooting for center mass IS shooting to kill. But, slap a little lawyer slime on it, and you can go to prison for letting the wrong word slip. 

The local sheriff used the same wording with my girl here after somebody broke into her house... "shoot to kill". Shocked me when she told me that.

5 hours ago, papa61 said:

His advice might be unnecessary in TN.

2 suspects still on the loose in deadly Harrison home invasion (msn.com)

But as I have been trained, shoot to stop the anti-social behavior. Center of mass.

That ex-cop is full of s#$t. 

Only place you can use deadly force is inside your house .🙄

Good to know if someone is killing me in my front yard, I can't defend myself. 

The Florida Sheriff may not have been tactful but he was factual according to Florida law (as I understand it). Tennessee's Castle Doctrine and stand your ground laws are more ambiguous than Florida's from what I can tell. But there is no question that in Tennessee you can use deadly force outside your home in self defense if you have a reasonable fear of death or sever bodily harm. And whether it is or isn't legal, if a person is truly in fear of their life they should fight to survive by whatever means necessary.  In my opinion anyway. 

On 3/27/2024 at 1:55 PM, Alleycat72 said:

That ex-cop is full of s#$t. 

Only place you can use deadly force is inside your house .🙄

Good to know if someone is killing me in my front yard, I can't defend myself. 

I think he was probably meaning the presumption of you being in fear of death or serious bodily injury in your home from someone who unlawfully or forcibly enters. Probably not the best speaker or editing. 

41 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

I think he was probably meaning the presumption of you being in fear of death or serious bodily injury in your home from someone who unlawfully or forcibly enters. Probably not the best speaker or editing. 

Maybe, but what if I'm I'm fear of my life at Walmart? 

1 hour ago, Alleycat72 said:

Maybe, but what if I'm I'm fear of my life at Walmart? 

You make that decision. Plenty of people have been justified in a shooting away from their house due to being in fear of death or serious bodily injury. All I said was there is a presumption when in the residence. 

• Like 1

When I was stationed in the UK, the GLCM missile thing with Russia was going on.   There were many ‘protestors’ rushing bases, and the word was that they had been infiltrated.  Of course, US policy is neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons on a base, but we had areas that were deadly force authorized to prevent entry.  In order for us to carry weapons in the jk, even on our bases, the status of forces agreement (SOFA) stipulated that in order to protect U.S. citizens, we had to verbally deliver the UK Challenge prior to opening fire.  That  challenge consisted of a few sentences that started with Halt and were to be repeated 3 times.  Also we couldn’t shoot to kill, only to wound.  So our play was if we got into a deadly force situation, we;d yell, halt, then start shooting, then finished the up challenge so we could say we did.  Also we were trained to shoot tomstopenthe threat by aiming center mass.