Memphis #1 again.

I'm surprised at some of the responses here. Did y'all actually read the article? The National Hardwood Lumber Summit moved their conference to the Cordova area because they thought it would be safer. Yet 20 cars were broken into in one night. Welcome to Memphis. 🙄

I agree, the person who steals the gun is the criminal.

I also agree that you have the right to leave a gun in your car if you want to. But all you're doing is making the criminal's job easier. Common sense says don't do that. 🙄

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm surprised at some of the responses here. Did y'all actually read the article? The National Hardwood Lumber Summit moved their conference to the Cordova area because they thought it would be safer. Yet 20 cars were broken into in one night. Welcome to Memphis. 🙄

Safer than what?  If they had done five minutes of research, they would have found that Germantown Parkway through Cordova has been a hotbed of car thefts/break-ins.  

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about this.  It is idiotic to ride around with a gun in the glove box or shoved under a seat, but I disagree with “YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER LEAVE A GUN IN THE CAR.”  A group of us usually go eat after an IDPA or USPSA match.  I typically have a pair of tuned up gamer guns and a range bag with $1k+ of gear.  I can’t lock up all this stuff, so I won’t go eat just anywhere and I park where I can watch my vehicle.  I occasionally use a console safe and I do realize it’s not foolproof, but will protect against the typical Shelby County car burglar.  

Like someone mentioned above, the no force of law for posted locations needs to be passed yesterday.  It MUST be passed before long gun carry.  If long gun carry passes first, no force of law is out the window forever.  

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Safer than what?  If they had done five minutes of research, they would have found that Germantown Parkway through Cordova has been a hotbed of car thefts/break-ins.  

I know that and you know that, but Cordova is a nice clean, upper class area. These out of towners thought it would be safer. Lots of people think that. But it is still Memphis. 🙄

2 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I lock my car in my own driveway. Tells you how much I trust people 🙂

Who doesn’t lock their car in their own driveway?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

You'd be shocked at the number of people that are what I call modern day "hippies" around me. And I'm in the sticks. Can't imagine being in a city setting 

• Sad 1
44 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

When we lived up north we locked our car inside a locked garage. That was in the 70's. Our family never locked their cars, hell they left the key in the ignition. People tend to do what those around them do, I was always afraid I'd lock my keys in the car but guessing the thought of it prevented that. If you look back at the discussion of the Memphis police officers being shot by a criminal released on recognizance you'll see what I think of the problem. Our current state of disrespect for the law should not be happening. It is a symptom of lack of respect and responsibility brought about by anti Christian ideals promoted in our schools.
Now I need to use my soapbox to prop up the mower deck while I rebuild it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

I left the keys in my work truck for 30 years. Apparently, Memphis has something we are lacking locally.🤨

• Like 2
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I have not.

19th century thinker/writer/philosopher. You should look him up. He has some excellent ideas on the legitimacy of government. 

2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

19th century thinker/writer/philosopher. You should look him up. He has some excellent ideas on the legitimacy of government. 

I did. Seems like an interesting fellow. I’m not sure how he escaped my radar this long.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I know that and you know that, but Cordova is a nice clean, upper class area. These out of towners thought it would be safer. Lots of people think that. But it is still Memphis. 🙄

Been through Cordova lately?

24 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Been through Cordova lately?

I live in Bartlett. Cordova is common ground for me. I go through there all the time. Its one of the best looking areas in Memphis. 

The problem is its Memphis. The DA believes in catch and release and the police are incompetent and don't give a $#!^.  The bad guys go where the money is. 🤬

• Sad 1

Don't get me wrong...I'm a Libertarian. I think seatbelts laws and helmet laws shouldn't exist. I think you should wear your helmet and seatbelts, I just don't believe the government has the right to mandate it. The victim is never at fault. Did the victim make it easier for the criminal to commit an illegal act? Could very well be the case, but that act is not and shouldn't be illegal. No crime is committed until the bad guy commits the crime. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I live in Bartlett. Cordova is common ground for me. I go through there all the time. Its one of the best looking areas in Memphis. 

The problem is its Memphis. The DA believes in catch and release and the police are incompetent and don't give a $#!^.  The bad guys go where the money is. 🤬

Opinions vary, I guess.  It looks worse every time I go there.  

• Sad 1
  • Moderators
38 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

Don't get me wrong...I'm a Libertarian. I think seatbelts laws and helmet laws shouldn't exist. I think you should wear your helmet and seatbelts, I just don't believe the government has the right to mandate it. The victim is never at fault. Did the victim make it easier for the criminal to commit an illegal act? Could very well be the case, but that act is not and shouldn't be illegal. No crime is committed until the bad guy commits the crime. 

I agree with the overall sentiment here. I was never advocating for criminalizing the victim of property crime, but there are other ways to enforce societal norms and discourage poor behaviors. One of them is shame and public condemnation. Just because an action shouldn’t be illegal doesn’t make it a good choice that shouldn’t be roundly discouraged. 

• Like 1
On 5/10/2024 at 10:28 PM, deerslayer said:

Getting away from punishing lawbreakers and becoming a more coddle-the-felons jurisdiction has made things worse in the USA.

Fixed that for ya!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

886435127816_efe7215f-9dc3-468a--7217c06db8_12585454x102438a44.JPG

Needs some context. Except for California, I’d figure those would be some of the safest states. Maybe they are referring to skin cancer or something similar.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Tennessee is on the list primarily due to Memphis. Consistently in the top 5 of the FBI's most violent cities list. 💩

Nashville and s gaining ground on Memphis.

I’ve also noticed something horrific is being reported in Clarksville on a near daily basis lately.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, AuEagle said:

886435127816_efe7215f-9dc3-468a--7217c06db8_12585454x102438a44.JPG

New Mexico has been getting wiiiild. Increased cartel activity plus low population density results in sky high crime statistics. 

• Angry 1