In our permit class the instructor informed us that banks are off limits (posted or not) because they are protected by the FDIC (which is also why the FBI handles bank robberies).

I have looked every where for legal info and yet to find any. Any one out there lawyerly enough to give an answer with reference?

Sometimes I wonder about some of the instructors, other times I'm pretty sure. :tinfoil:

What do you think / know?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what I thought, just being careful. Like I said, other times I was pretty sure.

He was a very knowledgable instructor but I thought I smelled a little BS once in a while. I guess that is pretty common.

Thanks for the welcome!

Guest goomba

thats BS.

I work as an armed guard at a bank. if the bank does not have it posted, its all legal. now granted they may/can ask you to leave.

I would NOT open carry into a bank, they are very skittish... but most permit holders I have encountered have had their piece concealed. and the ones that I spotted were b/c the shirt got cought on the butt of the grip, or the shirt got wedged inbetween the body and pistol/holster, and the one guy that carried crossdraw whose shirt rode up just enough for me to see the blackhawk holster.....

I do have one request, since I am an armed guard at a bank, please please do not try to help me if I do not know you. all I'm going to think, aw **** another one?!?!

probably, but please think about it, and use common sense. and if your bank does have a guard, it may be a good idea to get to know him, and get a feel for how he would react. you may be surprised that that lazy guard may actually be on top of everything in that bank....

posted by Septicsam

In our permit class the instructor informed us that banks are off limits (posted or not) because they are protected by the FDIC

He was a very knowledgable instructor

can't have it both ways. Sounds like he needs a refresher course on teaching the class.

Do the board a favor and tell us who it was. save somebody else from making the mistake of going there.

Guest JHatmaker

I continue to hear stories of HCP instructors either making stuff up, or not knowing what the heck they are doing. There should be some sort of standard, with the amount of people going through HCP classes to get their permits, only a handful will actually follow up on what they were told to see if it's a fact or not. The majority will take whatever they were told as the truth, and then we'll have all kinds of handgun owners out there who aren't fully educated.

You should let us know, not so we can hammer the instructor, but to keep others from taking the class there and being mis-informed (or acting like Roger Clemens and misremembering...)

Guest db99wj
thats BS.

I work as an armed guard at a bank. if the bank does not have it posted, its all legal. now granted they may/can ask you to leave.

I would NOT open carry into a bank, they are very skittish... but most permit holders I have encountered have had their piece concealed. and the ones that I spotted were b/c the shirt got cought on the butt of the grip, or the shirt got wedged inbetween the body and pistol/holster, and the one guy that carried crossdraw whose shirt rode up just enough for me to see the blackhawk holster.....

I do have one request, since I am an armed guard at a bank, please please do not try to help me if I do not know you. all I'm going to think, aw **** another one?!?!

probably, but please think about it, and use common sense. and if your bank does have a guard, it may be a good idea to get to know him, and get a feel for how he would react. you may be surprised that that lazy guard may actually be on top of everything in that bank....

:P:P:snore::death:

:x::bow::rofl: JUST KIDDING

Yep it is ok to carry in banks, there are some around, been some threads on them that are posted for no carry. I am a former bank manager and it was always fun to be sitting there and have one of my customers, good customers come pull out his new gun!

For the most part, the bank employees are completely clueless about people and guns. They look for the person that fits the "bad guy" description and the ones that are acting strange, which you can tell. But that is about it. They know you are there, but details...they just don't notice.

Regarding to the security guards that I was poking fun of above, they are usually good guys and know what they doing. I had the pleasure with working with 3 full time armed guards and 2 of them, I would have trusted with my life, the 3rd, I would have covered him, (He was a heart attach waiting to happen and it did one night while off duty, not a bad guy, a little tacticool). One of them, an older black man, he left, he got promoted to a supervisor, carried a 357 and wasn't afraid to use it. We, I mean everyone, called him Pops. The second one was a former Sheriff's deputy. He carried a SIG I think...., anyway, he gave me a box of Winchester Ranger personal defense ammo that he had from his sheriff days. The third one carried a Ruger. I thought he was going to shoot someone one day at the ATM. Guy parked right in front while his GF went inside, he asked him to move his car, guy got pissed and security guard thought he was going to get run over, he pulled his gun on the guy, situation then descalated at that point.

Anyway, the security guards usually know every normal customer and the ones that are just passing through, they pick up on people that might be up to no good. The ones I had would usually be outside the front doors and if someone that was not normal, or just not right, they would come inside.

• Administrator

No offense, but I don't rely on others for my protection. If the :P hits the fan in your bank and I'm a customer in line, I'm probably going to have my sidearm out as fast as you do.

If you're worried about hitting a friendly because they have a gun, you need to do some more training and get to the point where your finger isn't twitching as soon as you have a sight picture. Unless someone is pointing their gun straight at you, yours should be in a low ready position while you're sorting it out and giving verbal commands.

:rofl:

Your instructor is an idiot. They have to be posted just like any other building.

+10,000 I have always carried in Banks, a couple of occasions the manager noticed and I confirmed it with them in Florida, they had no problem with it whatsoever

Guest crotalus01

I have OCed in banks here in Memphis with no problems. A security guard followed me out and asked me questions about it once, he thought it was illegal to carry in banks and liquor stores - I educated him to the law and that was that.

Guest clownsdd

come on!!!! Tell us the instructor and where it was. He's an idiot and shouldn't be instructing. We promise not to tell anyone!! LOL!

Just be sure to take off your sun glasses and hat when you go in the bank....:popcorn:

the motorcycle helmet for sure... :rofl:

Btw, I 2nd that the instructor that told you this is indeed and IDIOT!

I hate to call people out, but its wanna-be fly by night like this guy that gets people in trouble. It makes me wonder what else he said that was just... WRONG!

The ones I had would usually be outside the front doors and if someone that was not normal, or just not right, they would come inside.

The branch I have been using as of late has two different armed guards. Either of them are usually outside when I get there but when I go to leave they are inside giving me the hairy eyeball. hmmmm

No offense, but I don't rely on others for my protection. If the :rofl: hits the fan in your bank and I'm a customer in line, I'm probably going to have my sidearm out as fast as you do.

If you're worried about hitting a friendly because they have a gun, you need to do some more training and get to the point where your finger isn't twitching as soon as you have a sight picture. Unless someone is pointing their gun straight at you, yours should be in a low ready position while you're sorting it out and giving verbal commands.

:popcorn:

+1.I've done a lot of shooting over the years and I've only seen a hand full of LEOs and no armed guards(unless they were a retired LEO that could shoot) I would trust to save my ass in a hold up.

Edited by et45
The branch I have been using as of late has two different armed guards. Either of them are usually outside when I get there but when I go to leave they are inside giving me the hairy eyeball. hmmmm

(static on radio) Hey Burt......that fellow with the WWII soldiers helmet is back....let's put the hairy eyeballs on him (static) big 10-4 Fred, I'm on him!

myhero.jpg

Wonder what could be making them anxious Mike?:(

My instructors at the Williamson County Sheriff dept also told us banks were off limits.

:(:shake:;)

What is it with these instructors.....

TN only has a handful of off-limits places..at least compared to some other states. How hard can it be to keep up with them?

If/when the restaurant and park carry bills pass wonder how long (or if) they will change information given in class about those places?

Edited by Fallguy
Guest CPA22
My instructors at the Williamson County Sheriff dept also told us banks were off limits.

Guess I must have been sleeping during that part. :( Of course, I had already done some reading before taking the class so I would have known better anyway.

Guess I must have been sleeping during that part. :( Of course, I had already done some reading before taking the class so I would have known better anyway.
That's where I took my HCP class, and they never mentioned any suck law.

On the other hand, they did try to push those damn badges.

Do they have more than one instructor or set of instructors?