how much ammo

Guest duckdog38

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I used to think that the idea of keeping 1000 rounds of my primary shooting calibers was maybe a little over the top, but now......?

I don't "hoard" ammo at the expense of keeping others from buying, but I do have a minimum round count per caliber that I try to maintain and try to use oldest ammo first when range time comes around.

Some of my friends called me crazy/fanatic/even panic-driven; but during the last few months of 'shortages' I could go shooting without scrounging the stores or having to pay extravagant prices. And I will continue to buy a few extra boxes as prices and availability comes back to a more normal level.

i think "normal" is probably a single box of ammo for each different caliber.

i personally keep a 30 caliber ammo can full of .45 and another full of .308 and a 50 caliber ammo can full of various 12ga shells. mostly 00 buck or #4 turkey loads but some slugs and birdshot as well. this is my minimum. i wont get less than this or i quit shooting until necessary.

i dont even own a gun that shoots it but i have 1K of 22lr as well.

Guest canebreaker

We don't buy ammo for our guns, all reloads. Maintain a thousand rounds for each. When a case cracks, we'll replace it. Problem is keeping a good stock of primers.

Guest Revelator

I used to not be too concerned with how much ammunition I had but that has changed dramatically in the last year. Not just the shortage (which really wasn't much of a shortage; it lasted like two months?) but more my thoughts about the world and this country in general. I think there will be a day when ammunition is a valuable commodity, much more valuable than it is now (my signature below says it all), so I'm stocking up as much as I can. And if I'm wrong, well I'll just shoot it or sell it for likely more than what I paid.

I used to not be too concerned with how much ammunition I had but that has changed dramatically in the last year. Not just the shortage (which really wasn't much of a shortage; it lasted like two months?) but more my thoughts about the world and this country in general. I think there will be a day when ammunition is a valuable commodity, much more valuable than it is now (my signature below says it all), so I'm stocking up as much as I can. And if I'm wrong, well I'll just shoot it or sell it for likely more than what I paid.

Yep.

- OS

i know i need more but 1K of pistol ammo and 250 rounds of .308 is a decent start. i do admit the rifle limit was set back when i had a bolt gun only. now i have the M14 i need a few more cans. im currently buying battle packs to keep stored. gonna hit the 1K mark with that as well.

i reload for my pistol and rifle but have recently run out of extra bullets. got plenty of powder and primers but no bullets, i know i know. but that why i have a reserve stock