Cheesy offer on a Remington 842

krunchnik

I have a Remington 842 Woodsmaster with a new Nikon Prostaff 3X9X50 at a local gunshop on consignment asking $550.00 what would you fellas tell a person who called you and offered $250.00 for it,I kinda think its like a slap in the face,considering the scope that I have on it I paid $200.00 alone,is this kinda cheesy or am wrong to think so.Why would someone think a person would take less than half of what your asking,anyone have this type of offer come their way,just wondering??Opinions welcome this is not a for sale thread so I posted this in the long gun section.:ignore::screwy:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were asking $250 for it he would have offered $100. People are always looking for a steal. Do like I do and just completely ignore the bs offers. I've been offered $100 guns for trade on guns I'm asking $600 for. Uh, don't think so!!

Guest TurboniumOxide

My father in law taught me that if you don't ask, you rarely get. He gets free stuff like crazy, because he asks. Don't feel insulted. Some people on the selling side ask for twice what they would really sell for.

They might have thought that since it's on consignment through a store, they could get it cheaper directly from you. Maybe they don't know what it's worth, or think you're desperate? Maybe they're just cheap. I know a guy who makes a practice of offering 50% of asking price on used stuff and haggling upwards from there.

If I'm buying something used, from an individual, I expect to haggle a bit. How much depends on how badly I want the item, how long it's been for sale, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Give him your best price and let him decide if it's worth it.

While some people are offended by lowball offers, I welcome them. When I'm selling something, I like to gather all the information I can get. With that offer, you don't yet know if your rifle will bring $550, but you're darned sure it will bring $250. Perhaps somwhere in the middle will be your actual selling price. Don't be offended; simply tell him thanks but no thanks. Then, don't be surprised when he makes you a higher offer. He might even keep this up until he makes an offer you like.

In my opinion, $550 is high for a 742. I assume it is a 742 because I'm unaware of an 842.

While some people are offended by lowball offers, I welcome them. When I'm selling something, I like to gather all the information I can get. With that offer, you don't yet know if your rifle will bring $550, but you're darned sure it will bring $250. Perhaps somwhere in the middle will be your actual selling price. Don't be offended; simply tell him thanks but no thanks. Then, don't be surprised when he makes you a higher offer. He might even keep this up until he makes an offer you like.

In my opinion, $550 is high for a 742. I assume it is a 742 because I'm unaware of an 842.

+1 Definitely good advice...I sell cars for a living so I deal with this everyday. One thing I have learned is that you can 100% guarantee you wont make money off of someone if you tell them what you really think about their offer. Its best to just let the small stuff slide...and remember the guy so next time you price him something you can "knock his head off" :)

Best advice I can give is split them up. You are detracting from the value of both. If the scope is a $200 scope then you should be able to sell it separately from the rifle. I have found it is easier to get $150 out of one person and $350 out of another instead of $500 out of one for a whole package. The guy that likes the scope may not want that rifle and vice versa.

Guest 70below

I'm kind of a no haggle type guy myself, I appreciate a good fair price, and if its not within $50 bucks of what I'm willing to pay, I usually won't even offer.

I know there are a lot of people that are just the opposite. In many countries its almost an insult not to haggle, and it seems to be some of the enjoyment for them.

I get frustrated with people like that too though, I try to be fair in my pricing and usually have a little wiggle room, but not half. But sometimes I miss the mark on my price too, so its nice to see what offers are like.

I believe guns hold most of their value while optics don't. Newer optics could be different but older gentleman have advised me to buy my optics new and my firearms used. I agree that you will get more by selling seperately. Take a professional's advice, don't take it personal... good luck!

Edited by Kevo
oops
Guest canynracer

I wouldnt get too upset about it...bottom line, if you dont ask, you'll never know...seperating the scope may be good advice..a quick search on GB shows the offer for the rifle isnt TOO far off... Have you looked at the value of the rifle? Im just curious...like some have said, if you priced the gun for the scope, you may be not be doing yourself justice.

Just a thought...

Guest 22-rimfire

I tend to get real low ball offers if I'm carrying a gun at a gunshow. Half are dealers and I understand and the other half are just looking for a real bargain. Some just turn around and sell the gun almost immediately to hopefully reap a profit.