Bug out vehicles

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old, but she's fast.... :stare:

hangarbay.jpg

Honestly, I just try to keep one of my cars with a full tank of gas. I also try to keep a couple of 5 gal. lawn equipment tanks full in the garage. This way, I figure I can relocate if necessary.

I don't have anything for a super-quick getaway, though. Cool looking bike....

Old, but she's fast.... :stare:

Honestly, I just try to keep one of my cars with a full tank of gas. I also try to keep a couple of 5 gal. lawn equipment tanks full in the garage. This way, I figure I can relocate if necessary.

I don't have anything for a super-quick getaway, though. Cool looking bike....

Agreed, Im all over the gas on-site storage.. that's in the works. But Katrina-like disasters made me think twice about using my daily driver to get out of dodge. Still havent made my mind up though. Maybe a big truck or buggy would be good..

Thousands of people flee Rita's path;

gas shortages reported in Texas

050922_houston_traffic_vmed.widec.jpg

Bike would certainly be nice for weaving through backed up traffic... but if conditions were inclemental, or you had to carry much with you, it'd be a trade-off.

I'd personally prefer a 4x4 UTV or large ATV, if not just the truck I normally drive.

Yes. The bike shines with maneuverability, increased situation awareness, easy maintenance, low EMP risk (older bikes) and great fuel economy. But its not so good in bad weather, carrying lots of gear, and presents a greater risk of injury.

Guest JoeNashville

The major challenge would be just moving with everyone else going in the same direction. Then you got the issue gas. Then you got the issue of infrastructure conditions.

A bike would be the best bet for being able to navigate the certain traffic problems. I would want to be moving, not sitting! I used to have a Honda XR650l. It was a blast to ride, but I only got about 100 miles on a tank of gas. Even with the enduro 5 gal tank they only get a couple hundred miles on tank. Could have been the way I was riding it! :D

Diesel vehicle is the way to go IMO. No EMP issues. And the simplicity will be a key component. A diesel dual sport bike with a large fuel tank and 3 huge paniers is the ticket! Oh yea, and a bullet proof vest and helmet!! :) So much for the perfect vehicle.

I would definitely want a diesel for many reasons. Something with all wheel drive. In middle Tennessee with so many rivers and streams to cross, I'm thinking the gyrocopter is the perfect vehicle, reminds me of the Road Warrior!

Edited by JoeNashville

If you have a family to move, a bike is in no way practical. Your best option is to already be gone. Be ahead of the crowd. I understand that option is not always going to be available. However if your prepared, you can still be one of the first moving.

Magic, I never had the idea that there were a lot of sheeple in Sevier County. It might be better to get the vehicle off your car lot.

BOV? here's mine... ;)

IMG_9546.jpg

the bike is a good idea...until you run out of gas. as for anything that has to stay on-road, well...let's look at this again:

HurricaneRitaTrafficjpj.jpg

as someone who personally sat in this traffic (headed out of Houston ahead of Rita...), I can tell you, if the SHTF, major roadways will be a waste of time. people literally ran out of gas sitting still... luckily I knew the backroads. :D

BTW, the stations ran out of gas as well, so that's a no-go....also, hardware stores, etc were sold out of gas cans almost to New Mexico...(that's where we went to wait it out)

the horse may be humorous, but in reality, me & my palomino will be makin' way better time than the folks in this pic...and he can off-road better than a jeep/bike/truck. oh yeah, and he doesn't run out of gas... ;)

I dont think the horse is humorous. I think it is probably one of the best BOVs out there. I wonder what my HOA would think?

buy some really dark shades, pretend you're blind, and tell them he leads you around... :D

Ok I'm figuring this out. I never heard of a BOV until 10 minutes ago. Now if I gotta bug out I'm callin Obama. Wasn't that one of his campaign promises to supply BOV's to us poor folk? I'll take a chopper.

No really in TN what do they evacuate for?

Ok I'm figuring this out. I never heard of a BOV until 10 minutes ago. Now if I gotta bug out I'm callin Obama. Wasn't that one of his campaign promises to supply BOV's to us poor folk? I'll take a chopper.

No really in TN what do they evacuate for?

TN? Dont evacuate often here, but preppers are ready for anything. Flood is the most likely localized evacuation, especially if Wolf Creek Dam goes.. Severe Flu Epidemic could cause an evacuation (or more likely a lockdown/curfew). Chemical incident could cause an evacuation, Oak Ridge is nearby.. if there is a nuclear accident, you can pretty much garuntee an evacuation. And then there is the catchall, Civil Unrest - when sheeple become unpredictable.

Don't forget the the largest earthquake recorded in modern history was over around the Reel Foot Lake area. I believe that was in 1812. It was a 8+ and actually caused the Mississippi River to run backwards. It created Reel Foot Lake and rang church bells as far away as Phillidephia, PA.

For those of us in East Tennessee, Oak Ridge is probably the biggest cause of concern.

Don't forget the the largest earthquake recorded in modern history was over around the Reel Foot Lake area. I believe that was in 1812. It was a 8+ and actually caused the Mississippi River to run backwards. It created Reel Foot Lake and rang church bells as far away as Phillidephia, PA.

good point... let's hope that doesn't happen again any time soon.