E. TN TGO shoot 12/19?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hammerdown

=Kenstaroni;410588]I might try to make it if I'm in town. Still debating on the Gun and Gear Expo :koolaid:. I joined a couple weeks ago. I got so tired of the TWRA range in Knoxville...all the rude range guys, more than one shot per minute was "too fast"...lol Plus they just close whenever they feel like it, and that always seemed to coincide with when I wanted to go..lol

Hi

More than One shot Per second is considered Rapid fire which is not allowed there. :screwy:Get your Information correct, or Perhaps you were NOT Listening to the Range Instructions ?:tough:. I work the range as an RSO and close at Dusk..;) We see all walk's of Life on the range so Rules must be followed and adhered to. Want some shooter Mistakes ? How about the guy that THOUGHT The Up-Side down Tri-Bottom Bench seat was a Tri-Pod ? He simply Placed his High Powered rifle in the crotch of it while it was Upside down on the shooting bench and began Blazing away. Must be he did not hear the Rule about how everyone must REMAIN Seated when shooting ? Beauties like him are what caused that RULE...:rolleyes: How about the Ones that Run down Range right after we call a Cease Fire ? We check and make certain all Guns are clear and safe before letting anyone down Range during a cease fire...and believe me, I have had to call Back Plenty that tried to Dart down Range..:rolleyes: Thses rules are to Just keep it safe and to avoid shooter's of being hurt or Killed...Don't Blame the RSO's we don't write the book on Range safety but we are expected to adhere to it and enforce it...;) slopppy Gun Handling or Not knowing or wanting to follow the Range rules leads to accidents or Death and we sure Don't want any on our Range..:(

Hi

More than One shot Per second is considered Rapid fire which is not allowed there. :koolaid:Get your Information correct, or Perhaps you were NOT Listening to the Range Instructions ?:rolleyes:. I work the range as an RSO and close at Dusk..:( We see all walk's of Life on the range so Rules must be followed and adhered to. Want some shooter Mistakes ? How about the guy that THOUGHT The Up-Side down Tri-Bottom Bench seat was a Tri-Pod ? He simply Placed his High Powered rifle in the crotch of it while it was Upside down on the shooting bench and began Blazing away. Must be he did not hear the Rule about how everyone must REMAIN Seated when shooting ? Beauties like him are what caused that RULE...:screwy: How about the Ones that Run down Range right after we call a Cease Fire ? We check and make certain all Guns are clear and safe before letting anyone down Range during a cease fire...and believe me, I have had to call Back Plenty that tried to Dart down Range..:rolleyes: Thses rules are to Just keep it safe and to avoid shooter's of being hurt or Killed...Don't Blame the RSO's we don't write the book on Range safety but we are expected to adhere to it and enforce it...;) slopppy Gun Handling or Not knowing or wanting to follow the Range rules leads to accidents or Death and we sure Don't want any on our Range..:tough:

I feel like a just read an advertisement for a new proprietary blend of herbs that will make me live fifty years longer and cure cancer. So we get to get yelled at online as well? That's ****ing great. By the way, you capitalize strange words. Good on you for being an RSO, even if some of the rules at that range Are reTardEd.

Guest Hammerdown
I feel like a just read an advertisement for a new proprietary blend of herbs that will make me live fifty years longer and cure cancer. So we get to get yelled at online as well? That's ****ing great. By the way, you capitalize strange words. Good on you for being an RSO, even if some of the rules at that range Are reTardEd.

HMMM

Let's see here, I have always been told the "Most Noise comes out of the emptiest Drum", so I would say with well over 4000 Post's it is pretty apparent you have More Wind than Common sense.. and you Proved that in your response :screwy: How was that and I Never raised my voice..:koolaid:

Edited by Hammerdown

I have been to Sevier several times. I only go there when there is NO other option.

You want to know the most unsafe thing I ever saw happen there? I will tell you anyway. A RSO, after checking to see that all guns were cleared, and people were allowed downrange physically, attempted and succeeded in wrestling a rifle away from a guy who was trying to pack up and leave. Now keep in mind this same RSO had just verified that the rifle was clear. So I surmised that one can only pack up and leave when the line is hot and rifles are possibly loaded. So smart guy you tell me which way is safer.

How about the RSO that got on the PA and verbally tore into a guy who was simply picking up his brass under his bench so he could leave. This happened during a cease fire where that mans rifle was also verifed as clear.

How about the numerous times I have seen shooters treated rudely? Guys doing nothing unsafe but some RSO getting his jollies acting like the boss.

How about OS being scolded for talking while shooting was going on? If one cannot handle weapons ( after they are verified clear during cease fires) how is someone supposed to communicate with another shooter in regard to technique or assist in a sight adjustment?

How about the RSO who heckled me for bringing 4 rifles to the range, making the smirking comment about "do I need to bring every gun I own". Is there a limit on how many rifles one can bring? Or the time I was corrected for having the muzzle of a revolver pointed up, keep in mind the cylinder was hanging open so as to eject cartridges. I guess the gun will go bang in that fashion too.

To me it is not so much being corrected for whatever offense an RSO dreams up, but the condescending tone used every time.

Some of you guys act human, seem like nice people who know about firearms. But more often than not the RSO's there act like overbearing jerks with a Napolean complex.

Yeah I have a few posts here too.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest 70below

Personally, i liked the time that the guy next to me pointed his .22 pistol at the concrete floor and pulled the trigger while attempting to put away his "Checked & Unloaded" pistol away after the range had been called hot after a cease fire and sprayed me down with bullet fragments. Not an RSO nearby, they were too busy on the other end of the range BS'ing with someone.......I told the guy to get out.....and he complied.

That said, I like having RSO's there generally speaking, and its the best place on short notice to sight in a rifle. I just think not all of the RSO's have common sense much like not all of the shooters do. I wish they would open the longer range to more experienced shooters. Individuals newer to shooting or newer to the range on the bench rest.

HMMM

Let's see here, I have always been told the "Most Noise comes out of the emptiest Drum", so I would say with well over 4000 Post's it is pretty apparent you have More Wind than Common sense.. and you Proved that in your response ;) How was that and I Never raised my voice..:)

Keep on talking....you are making it very clear who the EMPTY DRUM really is.

And I agree with SUNTZU on the capitalization thing.....makes NO sense to me. ReTaRdEd.

I have been to Sevier several times. I only go there when there is NO other option.

You want to know the most unsafe thing I ever saw happen there? I will tell you anyway. A RSO, after checking to see that all guns were cleared, and people were allowed downrange physically, attempted and succeeded in wrestling a rifle away from a guy who was trying to pack up and leave. Now keep in mind this same RSO had just verified that the rifle was clear. So I surmised that one can only pack up and leave when the line is hot and rifles are possibly loaded. So smart guy you tell me which way is safer.

How about the RSO that got on the PA and verbally tore into a guy who was simply picking up his brass under his bench so he could leave. This happened during a cease fire where that mans rifle was also verifed as clear.

How about the numerous times I have seen shooters treated rudely? Guys doing nothing unsafe but some RSO getting his jollies acting like the boss.

How about OS being scolded for talking while shooting was going on? If one cannot handle weapons ( after they are verified clear during cease fires) how is someone supposed to communicate with another shooter in regard to technique or assist in a sight adjustment?

How about the RSO who heckled me for bringing 4 rifles to the range, making the smirking comment about "do I need to bring every gun I own". Is there a limit on how many rifles one can bring? Or the time I was corrected for having the muzzle of a revolver pointed up, keep in mind the cylinder was hanging open so as to eject cartridges. I guess the gun will go bang in that fashion too.

To me it is not so much being corrected for whatever offense an RSO dreams up, but the condescending tone used every time.

Some of you guys act human, seem like nice people who know about firearms. But more often than not the RSO's there act like overbearing jerks with a Napolean complex.

Yeah I have a few posts here too.

Maybe he was jealous, cause his wife won't let him have any guns of his own.

HMMM

Let's see here, I have always been told the "Most Noise comes out of the emptiest Drum", so I would say with well over 4000 Post's it is pretty apparent you have More Wind than Common sense.. and you Proved that in your response ;) How was that and I Never raised my voice..:D

I think you'll find that most of the regular posters here have had similar experiences and harbor the same biases against the John Sevier Range--myself included. So, either there are a lot of "empty drums" among our most experienced shooters, or we might just be onto something...

With all due respect, the punctuation, grammar, and bizarre bolding and capitalization within your posts make you appear to be a fool. The content therein confirms it... :tough:

I'll give Hammerdown the benefit of the doubt as he came on strong when joining and seems to be a fellow who appreciates fine S&W revolvers. My understanding ends there.

While I personally have never had any problems at the John Sevier range, many others hereabouts have. For whatever reason is really inconsequential. The fact of the matter is the "rules" and attitude at the range depend on the RSO's on duty.

New shooters are given no orientation, the "rules" are posted on a shack out of sight that no one is going to look at, and every RSO runs the range as they see fit. Every RSO calls hot and cold differently...some announce the rules regarding going downrange, some don't. If you have a gun they are interested in they will talk to you and leave you alone.

There is no written rule I have ever seen about "rapid-fire" being more than one round per minute (and I am a VRPC member, for now). That one is completely at the discretion of the RSO's.

I fully understand it is a public range and any retard is allowed to shoot there, but many of them do not understand the rules. It is up to the RSO's to help, not scold or bark orders, to those who do not behave the way they like. I always thought playing the part meant helping and educating people on properly enyoing the sport in a safe manner.

Edited by Garufa
Guest Hammerdown

While I personally have never had any problems at the John Sevier range, many others hereabouts have. For whatever reason is really inconsequential. The fact of the matter is the "rules" and attitude at the range depend on the RSO's on duty.

New shooters are given no orientation, the "rules" are posted on a shack out of sight that no one is going to look at, and every RSO runs the range as they see fit. Every RSO calls hot and cold differently...some announce the rules regarding going downrange, some don't. If you have a gun they are interested in they will talk to you and leave you alone.

There is no written rule I have ever seen about "rapid-fire" being more than one round per minute (and I am a VRPC member, for now). That one is completely at the discretion of the RSO's.

I fully understand it is a public range and any retard is allowed to shoot there, but many of them do not understand the rules. It is up to the RSO's to help, not scold or bark orders, to those who do not behave the way they like. I always thought playing the part meant helping and educating people on properly enyoing the sport in a safe manner.

Hello

In response to your comments, It does depend on who the Range safety officer is to how one is treated or how the rules are played. I can't help that as some are harder to get along with than others, perhaps years of people not following rules or doing off the wall stuff has hardened some of the Range officers and made them that way. I go by the R.S.O. Manuel rule Book that is set forth by the T.W.R.A. agency and have not had any problems with anyone that has come there when I work. There has been some Tense situations but I don't use a Loud speaker to intimidate a Person, I approach the shooter and ask for them to comply that's all its my Job to do that, no matter who Likes it.

I have helped many shooters sight in their Guns and or showed them how to shoot them and good target results have come from it and all have thanked me for it before they left that I did help or that did ask me to, as they wasted much less ammo or got shown an easier way to get their weapons sighted in. I Greet & Brief every Red Card Holder {New shooters} that comes to the range when I am working, Regardless of who they are, I feel a New shooter needs to hear the Briefing. I go over every rule with them, then ask if they have any questions when I am done, to make sure they are fully aware of the Range rules. I also have had white card holders{Those that have been there more than once} break safety rules and it makes me wonder if the range officer that was on duty during their first visit when they had a red card did his job of Briefing them on the range rules ?

I don't play Favorites nor do I gee-gaw over anyone's guns as I don't have time for that to watch the entire range takes ones eyes moving all the time and there just is not much time for chit chat or diverted attention, while trying to run a safe range. we are responsible for everyone's actions on the range so how would some of you handle it if you were responsible for every shooter ? it is easy to criticize but much harder to find a happy medium and that is what I try to Insert while on duty to all my Patrons

There certainly is a no rapid fire range rule in our R.S.O Manuel and the Range master want's it enforced. They suggest one second between shots is fast enough shooting as faster shooting has shown in the past to not be accurate and it often leads to destroying the target frames which can hardly be covered with the $5.00 range fee.

When a Cease fire is called we inspect all Guns before letting anyone down range to make sure they are clear. During a cease fire we require all shooters to return from the Target stands and to stand behind the yellow safety line behind the shooting bench's. We don't allow anyone back to the Bench's until the range is called hot again, due to ammo Lying out on bench's we can not make sure someone is not going to Put a round in a chamber,{It has Happened in the past and one discharged} during a cease fire this has Proven to be fool proof.

That is the same reason we do not allow anyone to clean up their brass during a cease fire as at time's a Hot round is mixed in with the spent cases on the ground, again a safety issue of handling ammo with people down range, and again a shooter Picked up a hot round during a cease fire and chambered it, That is what Placed that rule. Once the range is called hot again, it is fine to Pick up spent Brass cases and we supply Broom's and dust pans for doing so to get the cases safely that are ahead of shooters next to you, In front of the red taped off line that no one can be in front of while the range is hot.

In conclusion, when you sign into the range, the range master up front is supposed to ask everyone of they have read the rules and understand them all ? I don't know if that is being done, as I see rules broken all the time, and have to correct it. We are responsible to run a safe range and I do my Best to get it done without making waves or enemies.

I can't control how other officers run their range time, or how they act towards others while on duty but I want to see shooters return when I am on duty so I always try to be Pleasant and help rather than Holler or ridicule. I am an avid rifle and Pistol shooter myself, so I want to help others to improve their safety and skill at the same time.

The John Sevier rifle range is one of the Oldest in The United States and we are proud of that fact that we have not and any serious accidents or fatalities on our range, So, if that offends some for us enforcing these rules that make our range safe, Too bad as we will continue to run it safe and if I have offended anyone sorry. A suggestion would be next time you come to shoot there if it is not offered ask for a copy of the range safety rules and you will see what I have mentioned is in black and white and we as range safety officers are expected to follow it to the letter, no matter what the shooters or Club members think safety and range rules must be followed

^^^ See that is a sane coherent post unlike your earlier one or the one where you tried to run SUNTZU down.

you will find here that you catch more flies with honey.

I apologize if I cut you down in any of my comments.

There absolutely are a few RSO's there that probably ought not be in that position and I am guessing you know that as well as we do.

Guest Hammerdown
^^^ See that is a sane coherent post unlike your earlier one or the one where you tried to run SUNTZU down.

you will find here that you catch more flies with honey.

I apologize if I cut you down in any of my comments.

There absolutely are a few RSO's there that probably ought not be in that position and I am guessing you know that as well as we do.

Hi

I was simply responding to Bad information Posted about Range officers in general, I was not trying to start a War. Range safety officers are not paid so we get what we get out there and it is heard to attract any new help when it does not pay anything.

As I said, after many, many years of rule breaking and dangerous mistakes from shooters I would say that is what has turned some of them caustic in their manners and approach. It is not an easy job to do as sadly I have seen many that have no business holding a gun in their hands let alone shooting on a range with others around them

In response to you statement of Catching more flies with honey, perhaps if shooters Listened or admitted they did not know the rules to begin with, the range officers may not have to get side ways with them. It is a double edged sword here. I have learned the Hard way to Not judge an indian until I have walked a mile in his Moccasins...:tough:

In response to you statement of Catching more flies with honey, perhaps if shooters Listened or admitted they did not know the rules to begin with, the range officers may not have to get side ways with them. It is a double edged sword here. I have learned the Hard way to Not judge an indian until I have walked a mile in his Moccasins...:tough:

the flies with honey comment was about catching them here on TGO rather than Sevier.:D

The first time I shot there I was given a page full of rules by the TWRA agent at the gate. They make you read it. But honestly who can remember all that while reading it standing at a counter? Was given no coaching upon entry at the range itself, other than being cracked on for having four rifles.

My big problem with the RSO's is the inconsistency in manner of enforcement of rules, and what rules are enforced.

I do not touch anything during a cease fire, mostly walk over near the restroom and catch a smoke or change targets. I am still very unsure of when it is proper to pack up my stuff when I want to leave. Seems to depend on the RSO. And I have given up on pistol's there. Akward to shoot them seated anyway. I also only take two rifles now. Sorry if I leave brass unswept as I am unsure of how to get it up from the ground. Not gonna pick it when guys are shooting around me.

I do sweep up what I can.

Glad you came back and posted more

Guest Hammerdown
the flies with honey comment was about catching them here on TGO rather than Sevier.:P

The first time I shot there I was given a page full of rules by the TWRA agent at the gate. They make you read it. But honestly who can remember all that while reading it standing at a counter? Was given no coaching upon entry at the range itself, other than being cracked on for having four rifles.

My big problem with the RSO's is the inconsistency in manner of enforcement of rules, and what rules are enforced.

I do not touch anything during a cease fire, mostly walk over near the restroom and catch a smoke or change targets. I am still very unsure of when it is proper to pack up my stuff when I want to leave. Seems to depend on the RSO. And I have given up on pistol's there. Akward to shoot them seated anyway. I also only take two rifles now. Sorry if I leave brass unswept as I am unsure of how to get it up from the ground. Not gonna pick it when guys are shooting around me.

I do sweep up what I can.

Glad you came back and posted more

Hello Mike

I work the Third Tuesday and Thursday of every Month. My Name is Kurt and I Look forward to seeing you and others at the range. If you come ask for me but I usually meet & Greet as I said all my Patrons unless we are very busy, then the Other range officer takes up the slack. As far aass cleaning up Brass, it Can't be done during a cease fire as they want all people behind the yellow line till others return from down range. It can be done safely when the rnage is hot with the Long handle brooms we supply and dust Pans. If it is a caliber I shoot, you won't have to wory about it as I will Notice that and scarf it up before it hits the Concrete. :P

That and the Option to use the range on closed days being Monday, Wed. & Fri is the Only Perk's a Range safety officer gets there as we are not paid to work the range. We work it to help others not familiar with shooting, the workings of weapons or for the ones that want to be shown ways to use and enjoy their weapons accuratly and safely. Yes, there are some that work there that Ought to go to the house, as their long term working there has made them Misserable, but as I said it is hard to get good people when there is no Pay.

Frankly, we Need more Range safety officers, so if you don't like what you see, Take the NRA approved course and join our team. That is the only way to see to it that future change will come. We have to follow the TWRA rules it is that simple and sadly most are in Place because of close call's or sloppy gun handling.

I have found a certain level of self pride working there, and that makes one want to return for more work and to be more helpful when you feel appreciated. I have gotten regular's that stop the Two times I work each month as they tell me they like the way I operate the range

I have been there about Two & a Half Years now, and had trouble with Just Three shooters of which I tried to avoid with a three wanring system I use. One guy would Not cease rapid firing and I asked him to do it twice. He then allowed his 12 Year old son to shoot his .40 Cal Pistol and the son shot rapid fire like his father did so I asked him a Third and final time to Please stop the rapid fire.

He told me to Not worry about it, as he was a club member and could do what ever he wanted to do. I had the Other range safety officer watch the range and I Then went up front to get the head range master, and told him what had been going on with this shooter

He came back down to the range and asked the shooter if I had asked him to stop rapid firing ? The Guy was not the sharpest knife in the drawer as he Proceeded to tell the head range Master that he had and he could do what he wanted as he was a club member.:D

He was then given the option of Packing up and leaving for not wanting to comply or if he had anything more to say about it, to be Banned forever on any TWRA range. He chose to leave and I have not seen him since and with the way he acted it did not bother me in the least. I am Far too busy to Play games on the range and shooters need to realize that our say is the final Say.

Another guy was there Just Prior to Deer season last year. He had brought a smoke pole and it was a High dollar one being a Thompson center with a Leupold scope hung on it. he was having a terrible time sighting it in, and I saw this so offered to help. He about Bit my Head off telling me he was fine and could sight his own Gun in, so I just left him alone.

We went Hot again and I saw him standing next to his Gun making scope adjustments, when I heard the Loud Boom. It went off, and the recoil sent it back under the shooting bench behind him where the Nylon catch fence is and it ended up out in the parking lot. I Instantly called a Cease fire and asked him what he had done. He hesitated in his answer, then told me evidently he had a cap in place with it charged while standing next to it making scope adjustments and it began to fall from his sand bag, so he grabbed for it, and Touched the trigger, then it went off. I all ready knew all this as it was the only way it could have happened unless he had a hang fire, but most that get those get them while seated with the gun in their hands. I was so glad the barrel was headed down range and no one got hit or killed by it.

I asked him what ever Possessed him to have a cap in Place while he was not seated with it in his arms ready to fire ? He told me he was in a Hurry to finish up sighting it. I told him that he was all done for the day. He complained that the fall of the Gun had whacked the scope and he felt it was not now Zeroed in. I told him that he would have to come back another day and he needed to go home and think about the dangerous action he had just done as it could have turned out Tragic. He did not like leaving before he felt his gun was sighted in, but that was My choice to get him off the range at that moment. We were super busy with all the bench's full, so that was super dangerous and I Just did not have the time to Baby sit him anymore.

The Third shooter approached the range with his Kids. No one had on their Eye protection nor hearing protection. The range was hot and guys were shooting right along, so if asked if they had eye & ear protetion ? The Father said they did but it was in their range bag. I asked them nicely to Please put it on and keep it on when the range was hot.

The Father seemed like he was bothered by my instruction, But placed his range bag on the ready table and put it on along with making his Kids comply. We do have a sign on the corner of the Parking lot that says that everyone has to have eye and ear protection past that Point, but again some shooter refuse to comply. some of these Magnum rifles and Pistols can and will forever damage your ears and flying brass can take your eye out.

His wife showed about ten minutes later and she too was without eye & ear protection. I asked her to please put it on while the rnage is hot, and the Husband snarrled at me telling me not to worry about it, as he would get it out for her. I left it alone but watched as he handed her glass's and ear plugs. Within Ten Minutes while his daughter was shooting his Pistol it Jammed. I approached him and asked if he had a Jam, and again he was fumbling with the Pistol and told me not to worry about it. I watched silently as he began to wave the barrel towards the shoter next to him trying to clear it, and that is when I called a cease fire, not knowing if the stuck round was hot or not, which does not matter to me as you don't point a barrel anywhere but down range to begin with.

I approached him and asked him to keep the barrel pointed down range while he cleared it.We as Range safety officers like to help clear weapons to avoid this uncontrollable Barrel waving but I could see this guy had a real attitude, so I let him clear his own weapon. I called the range hot again and he failed to Place his hearing protection or glass's. I asked him again to comply with hearing protection and glass's while the range was hot, and he Blew up at me for it. I promptly told him to pack his stuff and head out.

I called the range master on my radio and explained how I had to ask him to leave as he did not comply with hearing or eye protection. He evidently thought this would float up front as he argued with the range master about this safety issue as well. I was told he cussed him as he had me and he was then told to leave and never come back. That makes me feel sad, but rules are made to be followed and I give everyone Three chances so I Guess he was not willing to follow Instructions.

I enjoy helping shooters but there is always' someone that either does not want the help or feels they have paid their $5.00 to do as they please, and it just does not happen that way at the range. I try to be fair, but if I see a dangerous action I am going to call you out on it, that is my Job to insure safety and make sure the others that are doing things right will be safe while they are there.. Come and see me, I really look forward to it and to making your visit a safe enjoyable experience...:P

HMMM

Let's see here, I have always been told the "Most Noise comes out of the emptiest Drum", so I would say with well over 4000 Post's it is pretty apparent you have More Wind than Common sense.. and you Proved that in your response :popcorn: How was that and I Never raised my voice..:koolaid:

But you haven't walked a Thousand Miles in mY Moccassins, Billy Mays. One of your later posts was much more affable than the first in this thread. I would think communication skills would be an important aspect of your job rather than looking for that next story to tell your co-workers. Your "war" stories don't do much for me, as all of us have seen idiot behavior at different ranges. I told you good on you for being an RSO, because I understand the difficulties you undertake and the responsibility of the position, but there is no need to act like a dick about it while you're working or online. I haven't seen you at work that I know of, so I can't judge you on that, but you came out swinging in this thread.

I think that some of the RSO's LOOK for confrontation so they can talk about how hard they came down on the person when drinking coffee with their peers and swapping stories. Now I'll sit back and wait for another diatribe from you about myself and other shooters (which is probably most of them, based on the opinions I've seen written by you in this thread). There is no need for you to come across as a range nazi on the internet. Lighten up, Francis.

Guest TnRebel
Hello Mike

I work the Third Tuesday and Thursday of every Month. My Name is Kurt and I Look forward to seeing you and others at the range. If you come ask for me but I usually meet & Greet as I said all my Patrons unless we are very busy, then the Other range officer takes up the slack. As far aass cleaning up Brass, it Can't be done during a cease fire as they want all people behind the yellow line till others return from down range. It can be done safely when the rnage is hot with the Long handle brooms we supply and dust Pans. If it is a caliber I shoot, you won't have to wory about it as I will Notice that and scarf it up before it hits the Concrete. :popcorn:

That and the Option to use the range on closed days being Monday, Wed. & Fri is the Only Perk's a Range safety officer gets there as we are not paid to work the range. We work it to help others not familiar with shooting, the workings of weapons or for the ones that want to be shown ways to use and enjoy their weapons accuratly and safely. Yes, there are some that work there that Ought to go to the house, as their long term working there has made them Misserable, but as I said it is hard to get good people when there is no Pay.

Frankly, we Need more Range safety officers, so if you don't like what you see, Take the NRA approved course and join our team. That is the only way to see to it that future change will come. We have to follow the TWRA rules it is that simple and sadly most are in Place because of close call's or sloppy gun handling.

I have found a certain level of self pride working there, and that makes one want to return for more work and to be more helpful when you feel appreciated. I have gotten regular's that stop the Two times I work each month as they tell me they like the way I operate the range

I have been there about Two & a Half Years now, and had trouble with Just Three shooters of which I tried to avoid with a three wanring system I use. One guy would Not cease rapid firing and I asked him to do it twice. He then allowed his 12 Year old son to shoot his .40 Cal Pistol and the son shot rapid fire like his father did so I asked him a Third and final time to Please stop the rapid fire.

He told me to Not worry about it, as he was a club member and could do what ever he wanted to do. I had the Other range safety officer watch the range and I Then went up front to get the head range master, and told him what had been going on with this shooter

He came back down to the range and asked the shooter if I had asked him to stop rapid firing ? The Guy was not the sharpest knife in the drawer as he Proceeded to tell the head range Master that he had and he could do what he wanted as he was a club member.:koolaid:

He was then given the option of Packing up and leaving for not wanting to comply or if he had anything more to say about it, to be Banned forever on any TWRA range. He chose to leave and I have not seen him since and with the way he acted it did not bother me in the least. I am Far too busy to Play games on the range and shooters need to realize that our say is the final Say.

Another guy was there Just Prior to Deer season last year. He had brought a smoke pole and it was a High dollar one being a Thompson center with a Leupold scope hung on it. he was having a terrible time sighting it in, and I saw this so offered to help. He about Bit my Head off telling me he was fine and could sight his own Gun in, so I just left him alone.

We went Hot again and I saw him standing next to his Gun making scope adjustments, when I heard the Loud Boom. It went off, and the recoil sent it back under the shooting bench behind him where the Nylon catch fence is and it ended up out in the parking lot. I Instantly called a Cease fire and asked him what he had done. He hesitated in his answer, then told me evidently he had a cap in place with it charged while standing next to it making scope adjustments and it began to fall from his sand bag, so he grabbed for it, and Touched the trigger, then it went off. I all ready knew all this as it was the only way it could have happened unless he had a hang fire, but most that get those get them while seated with the gun in their hands. I was so glad the barrel was headed down range and no one got hit or killed by it.

I asked him what ever Possessed him to have a cap in Place while he was not seated with it in his arms ready to fire ? He told me he was in a Hurry to finish up sighting it. I told him that he was all done for the day. He complained that the fall of the Gun had whacked the scope and he felt it was not now Zeroed in. I told him that he would have to come back another day and he needed to go home and think about the dangerous action he had just done as it could have turned out Tragic. He did not like leaving before he felt his gun was sighted in, but that was My choice to get him off the range at that moment. We were super busy with all the bench's full, so that was super dangerous and I Just did not have the time to Baby sit him anymore.

The Third shooter approached the range with his Kids. No one had on their Eye protection nor hearing protection. The range was hot and guys were shooting right along, so if asked if they had eye & ear protetion ? The Father said they did but it was in their range bag. I asked them nicely to Please put it on and keep it on when the range was hot.

The Father seemed like he was bothered by my instruction, But placed his range bag on the ready table and put it on along with making his Kids comply. We do have a sign on the corner of the Parking lot that says that everyone has to have eye and ear protection past that Point, but again some shooter refuse to comply. some of these Magnum rifles and Pistols can and will forever damage your ears and flying brass can take your eye out.

His wife showed about ten minutes later and she too was without eye & ear protection. I asked her to please put it on while the rnage is hot, and the Husband snarrled at me telling me not to worry about it, as he would get it out for her. I left it alone but watched as he handed her glass's and ear plugs. Within Ten Minutes while his daughter was shooting his Pistol it Jammed. I approached him and asked if he had a Jam, and again he was fumbling with the Pistol and told me not to worry about it. I watched silently as he began to wave the barrel towards the shoter next to him trying to clear it, and that is when I called a cease fire, not knowing if the stuck round was hot or not, which does not matter to me as you don't point a barrel anywhere but down range to begin with.

I approached him and asked him to keep the barrel pointed down range while he cleared it.We as Range safety officers like to help clear weapons to avoid this uncontrollable Barrel waving but I could see this guy had a real attitude, so I let him clear his own weapon. I called the range hot again and he failed to Place his hearing protection or glass's. I asked him again to comply with hearing protection and glass's while the range was hot, and he Blew up at me for it. I promptly told him to pack his stuff and head out.

I called the range master on my radio and explained how I had to ask him to leave as he did not comply with hearing or eye protection. He evidently thought this would float up front as he argued with the range master about this safety issue as well. I was told he cussed him as he had me and he was then told to leave and never come back. That makes me feel sad, but rules are made to be followed and I give everyone Three chances so I Guess he was not willing to follow Instructions.

I enjoy helping shooters but there is always' someone that either does not want the help or feels they have paid their $5.00 to do as they please, and it just does not happen that way at the range. I try to be fair, but if I see a dangerous action I am going to call you out on it, that is my Job to insure safety and make sure the others that are doing things right will be safe while they are there.. Come and see me, I really look forward to it and to making your visit a safe enjoyable experience...:poop:

Me thinks me wants to shoot on your range days , Thank You for looking out for us.

hammerdown seems to be one of the good guys at JS...he did offer to open up the range so I could bring my disabled dad down to shoot his never before shot .38 special/Old Chief. My only complaint about getting yelled at is that it was done so that everyone around could hear it. I have found that if you correct/confront me in private I am much more likely to show you respect and courtesy than should you scould me in public. Yelling at me in public not only is embarrassing but humiliating as well. I tend to drop the gloves MUCH quicker that way. So having said all that, "Can't we all just get along?"....