AR Hype

gregintenn

Last week, my father purchased a Colt HBAR Match Target. Today, he brought it over to my house. We went out back to my rifle range to try it out. It shot well enough. It fired the varied assortment of ammo we put through it without a hitch. I have to admit this was the first AR I've ever fired.

I don't see what all the hype is about. I couldn't get past the ugly factor, the spring rattling inside the stock, or the nutcracker trigger. Further more, the vast assortment of switches, buttons, and levers were complicated and backward for me since I'm left handed.There's no wat I'd trade one of my M1 carbines for one of these. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HCRoadie
Further more, the vast assortment of switches, buttons, and levers were complicated...

Really? You're kidding, right? If you find an AR to be too complicated, I do not know how I feel about you with any kind of firearm. Your other grips are marginally acceptable. And, no one is asking you to trade your M1 for anything.

I understand what you are saying. I think part of the wow factor is the vast assortment of toys and accessories you can add/change about the gun. When you get tired of one thing you can switch to something else. This is probably why the big guys market the crap out of these. There is a huge aftermarket for these things. I look at them like i look at 1911's and Glocks. There are better weapons out there, but marketing, aftermarket support, and nostalgia keeps them going. If you want souped up .22 magnum rifle that is ammo sensitive, maintenance intensive, not terribly reliable depending on the previous points, delicate, and cost way more than most other platforms - then the AR is for you.;)

If we were true to our utilitarian roots we'd all have AK's, but evidently looking cool has no price limit. :)

There is a little hype associated with it, but I like 'em. There is only so much that you can customize on a lot of guns, but an AR can be unique. One person's AR can look and feel dramatically different than the next guy's AR, but they can both use the same parts/mags. The availability of parts and accessories to customize the AR is cool... almost like Lego's for grown ups!

I also have some guns that I would pick up before an AR when hunting or shooting. I don't think the AR is the smoothest or most comfortable rifle out there, but I certainly have a place for it in my collection. I'm hoping to put mine to use as a coyote slayer soon.:)

Edited by Batman

I don't see what all the hype is about.

Perhaps the 1/2" groups that all three of my 16" rifles shoot on a regular basis, and the simplicity of takedown and cleaning. Not to mention that they are more well-balanced than any of my bolt guns will ever be.

I couldn't get past the ugly factor, the spring rattling inside the stock, or the nutcracker trigger.

Ugly? Well , that's debatable. The spring rattle is an easy fix with a Tubb buffer spring. And there's no excuse for a bad trigger on any AR. Rock River makes a wonderful 2-stage trigger.

Further more, the vast assortment of switches, buttons, and levers were complicated and backward for me since I'm left handed.

Once again ... easy fix. Ambidextrious safeties are cheap and easily installed. And I don't know what assortment of "switches, etc" you are referring to? There's a safety (which all rifles have) a magazine release (all rifles have this if they have removable mags) and the charging lever (once again, simply a bolt handle which all rifles have). As for it being backwards for a lefty, they DO make LH versions. Just like bolt guns.

Like has been said, these rifles aren't for everyone. But just because you don't prefer this type of action, that doesn't mean that everyone else is wrong (your "hype" comment).

Not sure where you're trying to go with this, but the AR-15 platform is just good. I could carry mine 10mi on rugged terrain without any problem and quickly put 30 shots into the vital regions of a silhouette at 100yds standing without any appreciable fatigue (or reloading :tinfoil:). If you can do that with your m1, then all the talk about AR's is hype. Until then, I like to believe that the AR has gained popularity for a reason. If woes of easily replaceable parts is the worst you can say about the platform, then I recommend you get a couple for yourself.

I understand that they are time proven firearms, and are a variation of our military's standard issue weapon. I assume they are adequate for this purpose. However, you can't turn two pages in any gun magazine without seeing one, or reading about the latest manufucturer's copy of the AR. That's what I meant by "hype". There ARE other types of guns out there. It seems that the 1911 has recieved the same treatment lately.

I dont get it either.I bought one today and I dont even shoot the 4 I already have.Whats more is I wouldnt buy an AR without buying a case of rounds so my .223 stock just grew again.

1911's,I'm workin on a 12 step program now.If the P238 counts as a 1911 then Im back at step 1 cause I bought my 3rd P238 today.

HI,MY NAME IS CHRIS AND IM A GUNAHOLIC!!!!

The 5.56 round is what makes the AR. It is accurate, has little recoil, light(you can carry for more ammunition than say 7.62x39) and is very effective.

The AR is the most proven method of getting as many of those projectiles going in the direction of the enemy in the shortest length of time, period. Also factor in the lightness of the rifle, itself (greatly reduces fatigue if one needs to carry it for a long period of time).

So, are there more effective loads? Yes, .308 and 7.62x39 come to mind. Are there lighter rifles? Yes, most 22LRs will do. Are there simpler rifles? One again, the answer is yes, get out your granddad's single shot bolt action. Is there a more accurate load? Get some .308. Is there a more reliable weapon? Try a bolt action or an AK. Is there a round that has lower recoil? Get yourself some 22LR. And lastly, is there a weapon system that combines all these criteria together in a better way? HELL NO!!!!

I like bolt action rifles. I don't have to search for my brass, they consisit of a bolt, safety, and trigger. I enjoy simplicity.

Then why did you compare the AR to a M1 carbine (both of which have a bolt, a safety, and a trigger along with a magazine release which is also found on a bolt action).

I'm really stumped about simplicity - AR: flip safety pull trigger pull trigger for next shot, pull trigger for the next shot. Bolt: flip safety pull trigger, lift bolt, pull bolt back, push bolt fwd, regrip rifle, then pull trigger. Looks a little more complex.

If you want souped up .22 magnum rifle that is ammo sensitive, maintenance intensive, not terribly reliable depending on the previous points, delicate, and cost way more than most other platforms - then the AR is for you.B)

Do you realize nothing in this quote is overly accurate?

If we were true to our utilitarian roots we'd all have AK's, but evidently looking cool has no price limit. :P

No, if we were utilitarian we'd all have a NEF single shot with a 12ga, 223, and 308 barrels.

Of course the AR with a .223, 6.8spc, and 22lr uppers would cover about the same things.

About the AKs.....I've found the lowly SKS more accurate, more reliable, and easier to shoot well. I guess I;m just weird.

The SKS has a longer sight radius. The guns are equally accurate otherwise. The SKS is almost as reliable and not nearly as user friendly. The AK is about the most left hand friendly autoloader on the market.

The 5.56 round is what makes the AR. It is accurate, has little recoil, light(you can carry for more ammunition than say 7.62x39) and is very effective.

The AR is the most proven method of getting as many of those projectiles going in the direction of the enemy in the shortest length of time, period.

Other than the HK91, Galil, and AK-74 maybe.

Is there a more accurate load? Get some .308.

I guess the folks setting the records at Camp Perry with AR's are morons.

And lastly, is there a weapon system that combines all these criteria together in a better way? HELL NO!!!!

AK-74, HK91, and Galil.

Other than the HK91, Galil, and AK-74 maybe.

I guess the folks setting the records at Camp Perry with AR's are morons.

AK-74, HK91, and Galil.

I'm not sure I understand your posts. First you tell the OP that he's a moron for not liking the AR format. Then you tell me I'm a moron for liking it. Maybe you'll clarify.

Now to your assertions about my post. The HK you speak of is chambered in .308 carry a few 30 round mags for a little while and shoot the SOB and tell me how it's better than the AR and combine all the criteria I described. Shoot at an enemy at 400+yrds with a Galil or a AK 74 and tell me how they meet the criteria. They all exceed some criteria but fall far short on some. That was the whole purpose of the post. The AR is just well rounded.

Now as far as accuracy, sure there are some great AR shooters with tricked out rifles out there, but the vast majority would not do as well with a military issue AR. Just tell a few of our military snipers that you're gonna take away their .308's and make them shoot an AR from now on and see what kind of response you get. Hell, you really want to get accurate, get some .30-378 Weatherby but watch your shoulder.

I'm not sure I understand your posts. First you tell the OP that he's a moron for not liking the AR format. Then you tell me I'm a moron for liking it. Maybe you'll clarify.

He is pontificating without engaging his brain. The AR is far from my favorite rifle, but, that doesn't change the reality of it's function and capability.

You are just confused.

Now to your assertions about my post. The HK you speak of is chambered in .308 carry a few 30 round mags for a little while and shoot the SOB and tell me how it's better than the AR and combine all the criteria I described.

Then it's the 93 that is the 223. Don't really buy into the lighter ammo thing. If I have to shoot someone 2-3 times with ammo that allows me to carry 2-3 times the ammo I don't see the advantage.

Shoot at an enemy at 400+yrds with a Galil or a AK 74 and tell me how they meet the criteria.

They will meet it as well as a rack grade AR.

Now as far as accuracy, sure there are some great AR shooters with tricked out rifles out there, but the vast majority would not do as well with a military issue AR. Just tell a few of our military snipers that you're gonna take away their .308's and make them shoot an AR from now on and see what kind of response you get. Hell, you really want to get accurate, get some .30-378 Weatherby but watch your shoulder.

Now you are trying to swap criteria and trying to blur lines. You said the 308 is a more accurate round. It isn't; service rifle matches prove that. The snipers aren't going to swap 308 for 223 not due to a lack of accuracy, but, for a lack of down range performance. Again, stepping up to a 30-378 doesn't ensure accuracy, it gets more power. Last I checked, the 6.5-284 was the darling of the long range bug eye group.

You are mistaking power for accuracy. AR's are an accurate platform, more so than the M14 (308). The lower recoil just makes shooting it easier.

He is pontificating without engaging his brain. The AR is far from my favorite rifle, but, that doesn't change the reality of it's function and capability.

I never questioned the AR's function or capability. I said I shot one and didn't care for it. Even if someone's opinion differs from yours, it doesn't make them ignorant. My main complaint is that I'm tired of seeing little else other than articles about the almighty AR in all the gun mags I read. Again, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. For my use, I'll take a model 70 Winchester anyday over an AR. However, I don't fight wars, I shoot paper, deer, etc. I like fine walnut and steel. I like simplicity.