AR Hype

gregintenn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go to a Soft Point design then we throw out the Geneva Convention. No thanks.

Just one question. When did any enemy of the United States follow the Geneva Convention, Hague Convention etc.? Wasn't it supposed to be a reciprical agreement? Of course that leads to the last question: Why are we a part of an agreement that seems to be only binding on us?

Just one question. When did any enemy of the United States follow the Geneva Convention, Hague Convention etc.? Wasn't it supposed to be a reciprical agreement? Of course that leads to the last question: Why are we a part of an agreement that seems to be only binding on us?

To give the heathen countries a fighting chance :popcorn:

Guest GunTroll
If we go to a Soft Point design then we throw out the Geneva Convention. No thanks.

What the other guy said. We obey ( for the most part) but none of our current enemies do. Time to get out from under these rules if we are the only ones following them. There aren't suppose to be rules in war. Only death/life, victory/defeat.

And to keep it on topic........AR's are tools. Not show pieces. Some think they are. For all their short comings they get the job done with minimal down time when one fails to the point of being pulled from the battlefield.

Wood Furniture

That is a bad camparison, old corvette's are turds. They didn't get good till '99.

2 things wrong with that statement. one is that the old corvettes were not turds. some came from the factory with a 435hp 427 V8- that made them good for a high-10sec. 1/4 mile, not slow by any means.

2 is that the 97 corvette is the same as a 99 corvette, they both have LS1s, same power and everything. no difference

One lesson I've learned is that AR lovers can be just as fanatical - and hard on 'heresy', as any other form of "true believer".

That said, my wife, with NO experience with long guns, traded an m4gery for an m1 carbine, because the carbine felt better, fit better, and was easier for her to shoot. I was happy with her choice, at the range she's liable to need it the .30 carbine packs a heck of a wallop.

Personally, I wouldn't trade an AR for a carbine, but would trade it in a minute for a Garand or M14.

It's a rifle. It lends itself to lego-like modularity. The caliber isn't the best ever, nor is it the worst. I'd prefer .223 over 7.62x39, and 30-40 Krag. Maybe 45-70, depending. It isn't a deathray, nor the ne-plus-ultra of long gun design.

Go with what works for you; I like the Garand, and am perfectly happy that others like the AR. I've owned and shot both, the Garand stayed, the AR moved on. Them that want to get into a p***ing contest over how much better their rifle is are either uneducated me-toos, or haven't seen how the old gal can shoot.

Quick examination of the often noted differences between the two, and my take on 'em...

Magazine capacity - Yep, yours holds 30 rounds. OTOH, I don't have to shoot something 5 or 6 times. Call it a draw.

Ammunition weight - You can carry 2 or 3 times the ammo I can. True, but 1) I don't plan on hiking 20 miles a day, and 2) see my first point.

Modularity - You can hang everything up to and maybe including a food processor onto the AR. Of course, after you do this, it weighs more than the M1, balances worse, and with the iron sights on my rifle, if I can see it, I can hit it. A nightscope would be a good thing, but other than that, I don't see much advantage.

Ergonomics - The combinations of grips, handguards, stocks, sights, scopes, triggers, etc. etc. ad nauseum are nearly limitless for the AR. My take? You've got 1 chance in a thousand to find the 'perfect' combination. You'll spend half (or more) of your range time evaluating or adjusting or fiddling with something or another. I spend my range time improving my skills, not playing with my hardware. (not that playing with your hardware isn't fun, but... :D )

Hey, if the AR is your cup of tea, wonderful! I'll stick with coffee, thanks.

The AR-15:

- one of a very few firearms where an average person can modify, maintain and/or assemble with a few special tools.

- one of few semi automatic rifles that has controllable recoil by design. (Very little muzzle climb)

- the only rifle I know where you can change caliber in 1 step. (3 if you count bolt and magazines)

I find it funny how people who hate the AR15 forget that thier beloved hunting rifles all started out as military issue firearms by design or adopted and used by militaries around the world. (Lever actions, Mauser based bolt actions, the .30-06, etc.)

Sometime in the future I'm sure I'm going to hate on those newfangled photon lazers.:pleased:

My opinion: Bolt rifles with nice Walnut furniture are beautiful. Given my choice hunting, I carry a nice bolt gun. I prefer them. Now, on the other hand, if the SHTF, I want an AR platform rifle. They may not be pretty (I agree) but there's something to be said for an autoloader when ya gotta lay down some lead.

I like 'em both. Is that so wrong? :pleased:

We have several military members among us. They have a legit use for the ar15/m16 platform. Thank God it is available to them. To the rest of you, how often do you go around mowing down humans? The attitude of some of the people I talk to on gun forums scares me. I don't disagree that we have the right to own these, and I'm hope that everyone who wants one owns one. Wanting one is a plenty good reason for having one. All this SHTF talk is just that, however, TALK! I imagine most of you are like me; when the SHTF, it'll also hit your drawers. Do you really think you are going to outgun the U.S military? How many Rambo movies have you watched?

We have several ex-military members among us. They have a legit use for the ar15/m16 platform. (training, familiarity, muscle reflex, etc.) ...[snip]... All this SHTF talk is just that, however, TALK! I imagine most of you are like me (sucks to be you); when the SHTF, it'll also hit your drawers. Do you really think you are going to outgun the U.S military? No. but I will not willfully accept oppression while I have the means to defend myself. How many Rambo movies have you watched? Rambo sucks. Wolverines FTW :bowrofl:

Sometimes you never really stop being a soldier no matter what your DD214 says.

I will never surrender of my on free will. If in command I will never surrender the members of my

command while they still have the means to resist.

Edited by LA_357SIG
COC