Brittany Murphy: Dead at age 32

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 37-year old step-sister died a month or so ago of cardiac arrest. She was not a drug user, and there was no obvious cause for this to happen to her.

There's no call for your assumption. At least wait for the autopsy before you spread those rumors.

This is what I've been telling people all day. It may be the case, but I've seen several people come into the ER under 40 that have gone into cardiac arrest with nothing in their system.

Was not a fan of her work.
Good for you.

Agreed. Daniel, of course, I like you alot so I'm not really dogging on you, but what is it with the negativity lately in these types of threads? I know it's the internet and people are allowed to participate but to me this is like going in a Smith and Wesson FS thread and posting "I hate S&W. They suck!" It doesn't contribute anything but a negative comment.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I just personally think it falls under the old "Don't have something nice to say..." clause.

Right now the coroner is saying that her death appears to be from natural causes, but they won't know for sure until after the autopsy.

Came here specifically to post that.

RIP, I like her, she was a cutie and I liked her work.

Right now the coroner is saying that her death appears to be from natural causes, but they won't know for sure until after the autopsy.

That would be a "nice" change from what has seemed to be the norm lately. Still really sad to be so young.

• Administrator
Was not a fan of her work.

Me either. I don't see how sharing this opinion makes you (or me) a bad person.

Which could also be a polite (read: CYA) measure on the part of the coroner also. They won't say it was drug related until they know it was drug related. Anyone remember Billy Mays? Natural causes got turned to drug-related several days after the fact.

I preferred Billy Mays' work to Brittany's.

Me either. I don't see how sharing this opinion makes you (or me) a bad person.

Guess it doesn't make you bad, does make you seem like a bit of an ass though. It'd kinda be like if you came in here and said an acquaintance of yours died and you were kinda bummed about that and someone said "I just never cared for that guy."

It's just kind of a pointless thing to post in my opinion.

• Moderators

From TMZ:

Brittany Murphy was very ill in the hours before she went into cardiac arrest and died, sources tell TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.

Sources say various prescriptions were found in the home -- written for Brittany Murphy, husband Simon Monjack, and Brittany's mom. One source says, "There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

We're also told authorities did not find illegal drugs in the house, but Murphy was definitely taking various prescription meds.

Sources say her condition and the meds could have triggered a heart attack, but it's too early to know. An autopsy will be performed Monday or Tuesday. We reported earlier Monjack did not want an autopsy but ultimately it's the Coroner's call.

As we first reported, Brittany Murphy's mother told paramedics her daughter suffered from diabetes. We're told it was type 2 diabetes and people involved in the case doubt her condition caused her death.

-----------------------

Looks like the Heath Ledger call was right. Pharmies again. I guess this is the new thing, celebs used to OD on blow or heroin, now it is diladud and oxy.

There is a difference in not caring for their work and not caring for the person. Not caring for their work does not say anything negative about them as a person.

I still just think it's a pointless thing to drop in there. It's not cruel hearted, but it's callous I think. You have time to sit and type out a post and instead of "That sucks. Sorry for the family." or "RIP" it's "I never cared for her work."

Guest HexHead
I still just think it's a pointless thing to drop in there. It's not cruel hearted, but it's callous I think. You have time to sit and type out a post and instead of "That sucks. Sorry for the family." or "RIP" it's "I never cared for her work."

That's a fair criticism.

But why is it whenever a celebrity dies, the circle jerk begins? Does it really impact anyone's lives other than people that knew them personally?

Edited by HexHead
That's a fair criticism.

But why is it whenever a celebrity dies, the circle jerk begins? Does it really impact anyone's lives other than people that knew them personally?

Impact heavily no, but from an entertainment standpoint you lose something. I was a HUGE fan of Sin City and Brittany Murphy's character in it. Liked it ALOT. The sequel is being worked on now and even the small parts that her character would have been in, won't be the same without her.

I think it's a much more fleeting thing than if a loved one dies, but most people get to know and like celebrities in a kinda surreal way and it sucks to lose them. Especially at a young age. Someone dying at 32 is just not the norm and right before Christmas too?

Additional: Jasongar8 is in the hospital. I don't know him personally, but it bothers me that he's sick and that his family and friends are worried about him. It's like that.

Guest HexHead

I think it's a much more fleeting thing than if a loved one dies, but most people get to know and like celebrities in a kinda surreal way and it sucks to lose them. Especially at a young age. Someone dying at 32 is just not the norm and right before Christmas too?

Additional: Jasongar8 is in the hospital. I don't know him personally, but it bothers me that he's sick and that his family and friends are worried about him. It's like that.

I agree with you about Jason. I may or may not have met him at a TGO event, but he's one of us. I hope he gets home in time for Christmas.

Back to Murphy, considering the circumstances of her death, unless there's religious traditions at play, I'm pretty surprised her husband is fighting an autopsy. Unless he knows something and doesn't want it coming out. I know if my seemingly healthy wife just dropped dead in the shower at 32, I'd want to know why.

I agree with you about Jason. I may or may not have met him at a TGO event, but he's one of us. I hope he gets home in time for Christmas.

Back to Murphy, considering the circumstances of her death, unless there's religious traditions at play, I'm pretty surprised her husband is fighting an autopsy. Unless he knows something and doesn't want it coming out. I know if my seemingly healthy wife just dropped dead in the shower at 32, I'd want to know why.

I would believe he may have killed her. I know some people don't like the idea of their loved one being cut up, but I'm with you I'd want to know what the hell happened.

We see this all the time, a prayer request, for example the LEO that was directing traffic in Atlanta that was hit and sent to the Hospital. I feel sorry for him and his family to have to be going through this. Do I know him? Nope, Did he impact my life in anyway? Nope Does that change my views of him and my prayers sent? No. But for me, I'm a compassionate person that cares for others, that I do know, might only know on the interwebz, or have seen in movies or on TV or in sports that might have or might not have impacted my life, at least I try to be and admit I sometimes fail. Just because I haven't physically met someone doesn't make their life less important and I shouldn't show compassion or send prayers or whatever.

So what if perscription drugs or even other drugs that caused her to go into cardiac arrest, so what if it was anorexia ( a disease by the way), so what if it was natural causes, the fact remains, a young girl died an untimely death, a girl who had a bright future, really so what, it's tragic none the less.

If in fact she took drugs, and you judge her for that, I would be willing to bet there are a lot of people on this board, at your work, at your church, at the shooting range, wherever that have tried/does some type of drugs either in the past or currently. Is their life any less important? Do they deserve it? Hellz no.

I'm not arguing for the justification of using drugs, there is usually an issue there, wrong crowd, party scene, social pressures, true addiction, peer pressure, whatever the case it is tragic, in my opinion, when something like this happens.

Call me a naive or overly compassionate, I'm fine with that. If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine, I'm glad I'm not that cynical of person and lack the compassion that I strive to have. Makes me a little sad to see the lack of it here for some of the topics that show up here.

God forbid someone that has had a known issue or drug problem or whatever dies, some of you will be first person to dump a shovel full of dirt on them.

There is a former member of this board that died and those circumstances I don't agree with, at all, but I don't have any less respect (and I have a lot of respect for this member), compassion, or anything else for that member. Never met them, but that doesn't change anything. The knowledge that he had "impacted" my life in some ways.

Edited by db99wj
Guest HexHead
I would believe he may have killed her.

I wouldn't have even suspected that right off. More likely he knew she was doing something like coke or meth and doesn't want it coming out. Hubby not wanting an autopsy under those circumstances just sends up red flags in my view.

From what little I've learned about her in the last day or two, I'd be surprised if there was some orthodox religious reason not to have one, though that would be a legitimate request.

We see all the time, a prayer request, for example the LEO that was directing traffic in Atlanta that was hit and sent to the Hospital. I feel sorry for him and his family to have to be going through this. Do I know him? Nope, Did he impact my life in anyway? Nope Does that change my views of him and my prayers sent? No. But for me, I'm a compassionate person that cares for others, that I do know, might only know on the interwebz, or have seen in movies or on TV or in sports that might have or might not have impacted my life, at least I try to be and admit I sometimes fail. Just because I haven't physically met someone doesn't make their life less important and I shouldn't show compassion or send prayers or whatever.

So what if perscription drugs or even other drugs that caused her to go into cardiac arrest, so what if it was anorexia ( a disease by the way), so what if it was natural causes, the fact remains, a young girl died an untimely death, a girl who had a bright future, really so what, it's tragic none the less.

If in fact she took drugs, and you judge her for that, I would be willing to bet there are a lot of people on this board, at your work, at your church, at the shooting range, wherever that have tried/does some type of drugs either in the past or currently. Is their life any less important? Do they deserve it? Hellz no.

I'm not arguing for the justification of using drugs, there is usually an issue there, wrong crowd, party scene, social pressures, true addiction, peer pressure, whatever the case it is tragic, in my opinion, when something like this happens.

Call me a naive or overly compassionate, I'm fine with that. If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine, I'm glad I'm not that cynical of person and lack the compassion that I strive to have. Makes me a little sad to see the lack of it here for some of the topics that show up here.

God forbid someone that has had a known issue or drug problem or whatever dies, some of you will be first person to dump a shovel full of dirt on them.

There is a former member of this board that died and those circumstances I don't agree with, at all, but I don't have any less respect (and I have a lot of respect for this member), compassion, or anything else for that member. Never met them, but that doesn't change anything. The knowledge that he had "impacted" my life in some ways.

I'm with you 100%! Well stated!

Could also be just personal reasons on the part of either her or the husband. ( Some people just don't like the idea of being carved up, dead or alive. )

For me personally, I don't want an autopsy or to be embalmed, for that matter.

If I'm dead, I'm dead, and the why and how don't much matter; just run me through the crematorium and call it a day. No need in a bunch of other foolishness.

J.

Edited by Jamie