40 vs the 9mm?

Guest Baddawg865

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they're on the other side of the slide (southpaw)

I’m just messing with you man.

You are too far from me, but I would like to watch.

I would like to find an expert pistol shooter that would shoot several different guns and put some of this to rest. The problem would be finding someone impartial.

I would like to see them shoot some mid range 1911’s (S&W, Kimber, etc) against some high dollar 1911’s ($2500-$3500) and then against any Tupperware guns (Glock, M&P, etc)

Guest mustangdave

lots of GLOCK love here...I'll throw my :D out here...I have a FN P-40...nice feel in my hand(s)...recoil is manageable...its SA/DA...solid reliable weapon...right up there with the other POLY guns...like Glock, SIG, S&W.

I would like to see them shoot some mid range 1911’s (S&W, Kimber, etc) against some high dollar 1911’s ($2500-$3500) and then against any Tupperware guns (Glock, M&P, etc)

I'd put my money on them shooting near the same or at least way closer in group size than their differences stated on their pricetags.

It's almost always the Indian and not the arrow as they say...

In my own experience Austrian 9mm's are just about as accurate as expensive boutique 1911's, they just require a little more effort as a nice SA trigger tends to make minor flaws in ones technique sure seem a lot more insignificant.

Funny though, but not as fun, put a $500 plastic up against a $3500 1911 shooting unlimited rounds... Think most of us know which one to bet jams/malfs first...

Edited by CK1

Follow up rounds are extremely important. Learning the double tap has gotten people killed. Putting someone down may take fewer shots with a 40 over a 9mm, but if you cant incapacitate quickly your screwed. I carry a .40, but, my vote is the 9mm if your .40 choice recoils wildly.

Guest nashvegas
I have narrowed some guns down to the one i am wanting to buy. I have always wanted a glock, and from what i have read on the forums glock is a really good choice. So here is my question. What are your takes on the 40 verses the 9? I'm not that keen on caring a compact gun. The reason is i have large hands and can't grip it that well. I could use the mag extension, but wouldn't it be just as good to get a standard and get use to carrying it? I would like to know what you all think about that as well.

My choices are the G19(9mm) or the G23(40) in compact size. And in standard i would go with the the G17(9mm) or the G22(40).

If there are any other guns that you guys carry that you think i should check out first please post. I could read reviews all day online, but i would much rather hear from actual owners of the gun.:cool: Thanks!

Well, back to the OP....

Sounds like your first foray into pistols. Don't buy a Glock (or any particular brand) because of what you read. There are a lot of great choices out there and you'll get a lot of opinions based on other people's preferences. Try 'em out for yourself. Hold 'em. What fits your hand best? Shoot them first if you can. I happen to prefer Sigs.

As for .40SW verses 9mm, you'll find endless debate on calibers as well. I like both, carry both, but carry a P229 .40 90% of the time. More punch, and not that much more recoil. 9mm is slightly cheaper to shoot.

Just pick the caliber you feel good about, pick the weapon that feels good in your hand, then shoot it a lot. You'll end up getting another, then another, then.... well you get the idea.

Guest TXRoadhouse

^^^ I am suprized the p229 hadn't been mentioned earlier, since you said you have large hands. the frame was designed for a high pressure 40 cal round, so it is a widder. a 226 would also be a good choice and can be found used as police trade ins fairly cheap. just though id through these choices out there.

Guest UTVOL87

I have a M&P 9 Compact and carry it with the flat floorplate magazine to get the smallest package. I have grown accustomed to having the pinky finger underneath this magazine and shoot with this mag the most. The M&P Compact also comes with a magazine with the pinky extension. A few days ago I purchased an X-Grip magazine adapter that slides over the M&P full size magazine and basically converts the compact to a full size grip. The fit in the hand is very good. I have not shot with it this way yet but will use it for target practice other than my personal defense practice with the compact magazine. Lots of options this way.

NOTHING beats the 1911 in SPEED, ACCURCITY, or SAFETY !!! A PARA-ORDNANCE 9MM 19 shot pistol is what I want next !!!

Really??? :cool::D Prove that to all the folks on TGO who don't have a 1911 nor think they should own one.

Any 1911 you own or will own will be as fast and as accurate as you are. There will always be someone out there who doesn't own a 1911 that will be better, faster and more accurate than you will ever dream of being. Deal with it!! You aren't a god with a 1911, no one is. As for saftey, it isn't an issue. All modern day pistols are safe, it's usually the user that comprimises the saftey of the pistol. ;)

What you need to remember is it's not the accuracy of the pistol....as they are usually more accurate then the person shooting.

Guest mikedwood

I like the G19 and love the 9mm, yes I drink the :cool: every morning.

I like the 9mm mainly because of the cost and it's a decent round.

If you have an issue with the grip diameter being to small Houge makes a slip on grip deal that makes the grip wider. Also you can get a G17 mag to work in a G19 giving you about another 1" of length on the bottom of the mag and (I think it's Houge) makes an addition to flush it up on the difference between the (shorter) 19 and the (longer) 17 gap.

Plus with the G26, 19 or 17 you can get a 30 round Glock mag. I have a couple and they work flawlessly.

As others have said the Glocks seem to be made perfectly for 9mm.

^^^ I am suprized the p229 hadn't been mentioned earlier, since you said you have large hands. the frame was designed for a high pressure 40 cal round, so it is a widder. a 226 would also be a good choice and can be found used as police trade ins fairly cheap. just though id through these choices out there.

My main carry gun is a P226 .40 it comes back on target quick. I don't notice the recoil, IMHO that's a grip thing, but then I don't think .45s kick bad either. 40s will have more knock down power, and disperse energy quickly, 9mm are fast very accurate, but close to a target you may get over penetration. Shot placement is the most important thing. With me the .40 is the best of both worlds, you get close too the accuracy of a 9mm and close to the knock down of a .45.

Guest 10mm4me

.40s&w is an ego round. It is not as powerful as it's the daddy,the 10mm auto, and not as big as the .45ACP.What it is however, is more expensive than the 9mm.A quality 9mm hollowpoint, fired at an assailant center mass will drop anyone.If you still don't get a warm and fuzzy use a +P JHP. The 9mm is cheaper, it is lighter, most guns chambered for it usually have +2 or more mag cap than their .40 equivalents, muzzle flip is less severe allowing for quicker follow up shots or more accurate double taps.So far the 9mm is tops in every category.

Guest TnRebel
From my experience, the harsh recoil of the .40 has always been a bit exaggerated.

If it wasn't for the arthritis in my hands I would prefer the 40mm but I have to settle for the 9mm,

Guest 10mm4me
rollfloor.gif

A little bit of tea blew out my nose when I saw that statement made by someone with the screen name 10mm4me.

leaving.gif

AHAHAH.What can I say, I have a big ego.But in all seriousness, I hunt whitetails with the 10mm, I rarely if ever carry it. I carry a G19 w/trijicon NS

If it wasn't for the arthritis in my hands I would prefer the 40mm but I have to settle for the 9mm,

ditto.....that sob arthur keeps lots of us from shooting bigger rounds. personally, i like the 9mm it is very easy to shoot. Have shoot 40, sweet, have shot 45, ouch. just call me francis

.40s&w is an ego round. It is not as powerful as it's the daddy,the 10mm auto, and not as big as the .45ACP.What it is however, is more expensive than the 9mm.A quality 9mm hollowpoint, fired at an assailant center mass will drop anyone.If you still don't get a warm and fuzzy use a +P JHP. The 9mm is cheaper, it is lighter, most guns chambered for it usually have +2 or more mag cap than their .40 equivalents, muzzle flip is less severe allowing for quicker follow up shots or more accurate double taps.So far the 9mm is tops in every category.

While I don't agree 100% that .40 is just an "ego round", there's a lot of truth in what you said there...

Every single good reason I've ever been given as to why to carry a .40 over a 9mm can be delivered on far better with a .45acp or what the .40 was meant to be, the 10mm... Personally, I feel the .40cal is an answer without a question, if I want to cope with any recoil management that may affect follow up shots I'll take the full test 10mm, pretty sure 9mm doesn't bounce off and don't think my HCP really is for me to be able to shoot through car doors and such, in an SD scenerio think I'll be ok with a 9. JMHO.

.40 is a watered down 10mm developed for those LEOs who couldn't handle what the 10 brought to the fight, but IMO LEOs should be able to carry whatever they want that they feel is best for them as an individual, for some that may mean 9, for some it may be the 10, rarely does one size fit all with most things.

Edited by CK1
I like the 40 S&W round and have a G22 and G23.

Like both guns but I also want night sights on my guns and had them put on both, much easier on my old eyes.

+1, just make mine XS Big Dots !!!:drama:

I still consider myself a newbie but my limited experience confirms the above and my vote would be for 9mm. I bough a G19 to use for EDC and I can shoot it better than anything I've tried so far. I've not tried all the offerings from Sig, M&P, and HK etc... (some of them look really nice) but I intend to stay with 9mm for any more guns I may acquire.

I still consider myself a newbie but my limited experience confirms the above and my vote would be for 9mm. I bough a G19 to use for EDC and I can shoot it better than anything I've tried so far. I've not tried all the offerings from Sig, M&P, and HK etc... (some of them look really nice) but I intend to stay with 9mm for any more guns I may acquire.

Sorry but I don't buy the argument at all, especially as relates to the first sentence of his statement. 40 is no ego trip. If you want to make some ego trip claim why not 50 cal? It is an especially superfluous argument coming from someone who has the screen name for the 10mm, a 40 mag essentially.

A 9mm is cheaper to shoot, that's for certain.

The argument that it will stop someone in their tracks if fired at center mass is definitely not a certain statement, it is a general statement. It has proven to be untrue many times. The same can be said of every handgun caliber. The odds are good a center mass shot will put down an assailant with any of the major popular defense loads would also be correct and any would be better than no gun.

Is the 9 easier to shoot and shoot accurately, especially quickly and accurately? I guess that would in general be a true statement. However, I can shoot my Ruger 22 pistol better than anything else I won w/o question. IT doesn't make it a good defense load, just because I am accurate with it.

I would say most any new shooter would find the 9 to be a good round to gain shooting competency with. Is that the only thing they could shoot well, probably not. But many don't know that until they use other calibers and types of pistols.

The pistol used often has a lot to do with it as well. I can shoot better quicker with any low bore axis gun, than I can with a higher bore axis gun. It took a long time to become proficient with my Sigs which have a high bore axis. Less time with a 1911.

In the end a lot of it depends on what you are used to, what your breadth of experience is and what you trained on initially. Many people on here had their first experiences on 40's and they are very comfortable with them. They can accurately unload a mag with their 40 faster than I can with a 9 all day long. The same can be said of the 9 or the 45.

I was trained on 9 and 45 25-30 years ago. At one time I shot probably 1000-1200 rounds a week of 9. Now I am lucky to fire that a year. I have probably shot a few thousand rounds of 40 in my lifetime. For me pistol proficiency has always been harder to attain and keep and I am no longer the shooter I once was. I prefer the 9 and 45 to this day and still carry a 9 often. I do trust it as much as a I trust any defense caliber and load. None of them are going to pick a man up and toss him to the ground. It is always about compromise.

Outside of range rats who always have these ridiculous claims and love to argue every conceivable firearm topic, and is no shortage of those, I have rarely found anyone who shoots a caliber for any other reason than that is what they are comfortable with and they usually have several reasons why that is their personal preference. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes not, but it is their decision. Even the 45 guys who pontificate on the 1911 or the 45 round usually are just poking fun and they do not think the other calibers beneath them. In the end usually you dig a bit and that is where they started and that is where they are comfortable.

Guest 10mm4me

Hey meow, I don't carry the 10mm, I hunt with it. I carry a 9mm.I am simply saying that when it comes to the argument of 9mm vs .40, 9mm is superior. It isn't the best defensive handgun round, that belongs to the 10mm.A JHP 9mm is plenty of gun to put someone down.The only time you have problems is with FMJ, but who here carries a 9 loaded w/FMJ's?And it is so much cheaper, lighter, higher mag cap, less recoil, muzzle flip. These are just the facts. I like big guns, but as far as carrying a handgun for defense goes, There are alot of factors more important than the size of your bullet that matter.No, not every person ever shot w/a 9mm has died instantly, but the same is true of the .40.I guarantee that if you were to hit someone center mass, 50 yds or closer, w/a quality 9mm JHP that they just are not going to be around too long fighting back.It just is not going to happen.