Old 1911 - refinish, leave alone, or cut my losses?

jeffmem

I bought this 1911 several years ago at a local shop. I thought it might have been original but after learning a little more I found that it had been reblued and maybe had some parts replaced at some time during its life. I am in the pistol about $850.

I am trying to decide if I should have it refinished and if so what type of finish or if I should just cut it loose. The refinish process would run $100-$150. I would guess the pistol is worth $500 or so now and I dont know if the refinish would add much to that value. It might take away from the value.

What would you do?

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give the gun to me! Haha. Thats tough. You are already so into it that it would be hard to recoup money regardless of what you do. If you want to keep it for you, then refinish it for sure. But if you want to get rid of it (let me know), then I wouldn't sink anymore money into it.

If it's mechanically sound, carry it and shoot it as is.

( The best way to get your money out of it is to "drive it 'til the wheels fall off", so to speak. )

J.

If it's mechanically sound, carry it and shoot it as is.

( The best way to get your money out of it is to "drive it 'til the wheels fall off", so to speak. )

J.

Thats what I do to my cars. I have modern 1911s that are a lot more fun to shoot though.

Guest 70below

If it were me, I'd find a smith that could give it a date correct look, and keep it forever. Someday it will be worth what you paid for it, even if its not all original.

It looks like a glove box gun and I wouldn't sink another dime into it. It's been rode hard and put away wet, and you have too much money in it now.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

Refinishing would be up to you and if it were re-blued "again" what would it hurt? If you don't want to spend money reblueing then you might want to try Gun Kote by Brownell's yourself. I did a really beatup 1911 for a guy, had it blasted by a friend then Gun Koted it myself to quite good effect. After it was all said and done it cost about 35.00 and had more Gun Kote left over. Just make sure you bake the gun bare really well to get all the grease and oil out of it even if you degreased it with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner.

Or you could use the lower for a .22 project by getting Bob Marvel's new .22 conversion for the .45: Bob Marvel Custom Pro 1911 22 Conversion

or you could get the non-tweaked version of the Advantage Arms Target .22 LR 1911 conversion that Bob Marvel uses for his accurized conversion: Advantage Arms Secure Online Store: 1911 Target Conversion Kit

I picked up a "beater" 1911 recently and am going to get the conversion within the next few months. Apparently Bob Marvel's new tweaked AA conversion is better or at least as good as Marvel Precision's Unit 1: Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions

Craig in Clarksville

If that were the original finish then there would be no decision to make. I'd leave it exactly as it is beyond cleaning up rust etc..

Since it's already been reblued that pretty much throws that part of its collectability right out the window. If you like it and you want it to be pretty, have it refinished. If you like it and aren't really worried about it, leave it as is. Otherwise, sell it and try to recoup some of your money to spend towards something better.

Guest HexHead
If that were the original finish then there would be no decision to make. I'd leave it exactly as it is beyond cleaning up rust etc..

Since it's already been reblued that pretty much throws that part of its collectability right out the window. If you like it and you want it to be pretty, have it refinished. If you like it and aren't really worried about it, leave it as is. Otherwise, sell it and try to recoup some of your money to spend towards something better.

+1. Since that's a 1911, not an 1911A1 and the refinishing horse already left the barn, if I were to refinish it, I'd send it to Colt and have them either do the "Black Army" finish they're doing on the WWI Reproduction guns, or if it were me, have them put a Royal Blue finish on it and have it look just amazing if not historically correct.

if I were to refinish it, I'd send it to Colt and have them either do the "Black Army" finish they're doing on the WWI Reproduction guns, or if it were me, have them put a Royal Blue finish on it and have it look just amazing if not historically correct.

Any idea of what it would cost to have colt do the refinishing?

Since it's already been reblued that pretty much throws that part of its collectability right out the window.

I agree with this. I have nicer 1911s to shoot so I guess I am going to cut this one loose.

Thanks for all of the opinions guys.

I would take the middle road by removing the bluing, steel wooling everything to be re-blued, and then applying Brownell's Oxpho Blue. The gun will look better, although not perfect, and your total cost will be around $25

Have you used the Oxpho Blue? Just wondering how it turns out. I have it in mind for something.

Guest That Guy

I would get it running nicely. Leave the finish; you can't buy character like that. Who knows, maybe someone out-and-about will make you a handsome offer.

I will probably take it up to range usa here in memphis when I put it up for sale. Wont be cheap (not at first).

I thank you, and my wallet thanks you, for not posting it here first. Dangit.

:up:

If you decide to refinish it, shoot me a PM and I will hook you up with a guy that does very very nice work. Personally, if it were reasonably tight I'd clean it and carry as is, but thats' just me.