Good cops?!

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

I want to hear your stories about all the GOOD things they've done for you. We never hear "The Bright Side." Only "The Dark Side."

This is NOT a slight at anyone.

Justbo said he was speeding and:

"Well it happened to me this morning on the way to work!!!! 38 in a 30... Pulled over handgun in passenger seat. First time getting pulled over sense the HCP,I Kept hands on steering wheel told the officer I had a Handgun in car and permit, he replied "I don't care as long as you have a Permit" then asked for it. GOOD NEWS!!! he let me Go with a warning, Told me that his partner and him decided this morning they would stop everyone going 36 or faster but not ticket unless going 39 or faster... then we just talked about Nascar!"

That's on the other side of cool!

(translation: beyond cool)

Edited by jackdm3
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the way home from the harley shop with my new stage 1 items installed and fresh dyno job when I decided to crack er wide open for the last few miles. I topped a hill runinng 120mph. to my supprise I was staring directly at one of tennesse's finest as I topped the hill

I was like OH! F!

I pulled over right away got off the bike and waited for the trooper with my license and HCP in hand, and in plain sight. I was sorta half ass open carrying that day.

As the trooper exited his car I told him I was armed and had a carry permit. He asked where it was and I raised my arms to reveal my sidearm.

As he approached I started talking to him. I was making wise cracks about my luck and you SOB's really do have radar.. mental radar cause it seems like every time I do something like this I get nailed..

We talked for about 5 minutes about guns, bikes, the weather, etc.. then he said, have a nice day as he gave me my license and permit back.

What a nice guy and what a relief. I was worried on that stop. If he had wrote me for going 120 in a 55.. OUCH! that would have smarted..

Anyway.. I have had a couple of experiances just like this and the cop either let me go with a warning or wrote me up for 5 miles over the posted limit.

Can't complain about that!

Been my experience that cops target attitude more than anything else.

My story, speeding about 12 over the limit. Cop lights up, I stop and pull to the side as fast as I can. Asks for license and registration. Smells alcohol and asks me how much I drank. Told him it was my birthday and I had one scotch before dinner. He hands back my license and told me it was his birthday also! Wished him happy b-day and took off.

BTW ... I really only had one drink!

Years ago, was headed home with girlfriend and a strawberry pie from Shoney's in the front seat. My last day at home as I was off for Korea the next day. Was also driving my mother's Chrysler Lebaron (ugh). THP got me doing about 70 in a 55 as I was in a hurry to get home and have the final dinner and spend some time with sweetie (beatch dear johned me 5 months into my tour, good riddance).

Trooper see's short haired young man with girlfriend and pie and immediately asks if I'm in the military. Gave him the short version that I was taking pie home for last dinner at home. He chuckles, said something about this being to "American" to deserve a ticket and tells me to scoot.

Guess the moral for you heavy footers is to get that hair cut and get a pie (strawberry or apple please). The girlfriend part may be harder as some of our wife's might get peeved but there's the formula for running the fast lane.

That was 1985 so I guess I'm just lucky since then.

Guest Drewsett

I was going 95 in a 55 on a former toll road in KY (so there were almost no cars ever) at midnight trying to get back to college for class after Xmas break. To this day this is the only trooper that I have never seen before he was behind me with flashing lights. He asked for my license and registration, I gave them to him immediately. He asked me first if I had any alcohol or weapons in the vehicle. I told him no (and remembered to my horror as I pulled away that there was a fifth of Jack in my trunk and I was 18 at the time). He then asked me why I was in such a hurry and I told him the truth...I had 2 hours left to drive and my first class was in 7 hours. I was extremely respectful for the entire exchange. He walked back to his car and ran my license I guess. When he came back he told me that he didn't want to be the one to give me my first speeding ticket, so he handed me a written warning for going less than 5 over the limit.

I had always heard KY State Troopers were real @sses, but this guy...well, he certainly wasn't.

In my short driving history I have been pulled over 11 times but only had 1 ticket... Speeding for the majority of them. I have been very lucky. I was pulled over on I-40 for going 110 in a 55.. (i was actually going closer to 120)... I told the officer I had eaten Japanese food earlier in the evening and needed to....use the bathroom... I was very convincing and he let me go.... But the other times I was very respectful..... There are still good cops out there guys.. Respect goes a long ways..

Guest biggun215

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE GOOD STORIES, AS A LE WE ALL HAVE OUR "RULES" FOR WHO WE TICKET AND WHO WE DONT. DONT DROP NAME, IT WILL GET YOU TICKETED AND IF YOU HAVE A CARRY PERMIT....TELL US!!! MOST LE'S I AM FRIENDS WITH WONT TICKET YOU. YOU HAVE DONE THE BACKGROUND CHECK AND IT TELLS US YOURE A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN. MOST WONT TICKET.

Guest HexHead

This happened about 35 years ago when I was in college. I was in my 240Z doing about 90 in a 45 when I got pulled over. Cop asked me where I was going in such a hurry. I explained to him I was a theatre major at the local Univ. and had to get to the school to get my makeup on before the show. "Theatre major, huh? Tell me the story of Oedipus the King." I did and he said "well, I guess your story checks out" and let me off with a warning and told me to slow down. ;)

Another time was about 27 years ago in L.A. I was on the freeway on my bike, splitting lanes (legal out there) and was pulled over by a CHP motor officer for an expired plate. I had a couple of outstanding parking tickets or so and was worried I wasn't going to make it in front of the judge the next day to get married. We ended up pretty much just talking bikes, he never ran my license or plate and just told me to get my bike registered and let me go. :)

Edited by HexHead
This happened about 35 years ago when I was in college. I was in my 240Z doing about 90 in a 45 when I got pulled over. Cop asked me where I was going in such a hurry. I explained to him I was a theatre major at the local Univ. and had to get to the school to get my makeup on before the show. "Theatre major, huh? Tell me the story of Oedipus the King." I did and he said "well, I guess your story checks out" and let me off with a warning and told me to slow down. :)

Wow,

No offense leos on here but I do not think I have ever run into a cop smart enough to know the story of Oedipus the King. LOL

I have only been stopped maybe 5 times in my driving life.

One time it was near three in the morning, I worked at a bar during college and was on my way home. I came to a four way stop near my house and did not stop all the way. As luck would have it a cop pulled up right when I did not stop completely. He lit me up and pulled me over. He told me I did not stop all the way. I said I sort of stopped, and asked if it would be okay if I stopped twice at the next stop sign to make up for it. He told me to not be a smart ass and to go on home. ( I was about 1/2 mile from home) No ticket.

Got pulled over speeding in Florida on the turnpike. I was going to Daytona. Cop got me with radar as I crested an overpass. He comes up to the car and asks if I know why I was pulled over. I told him I was practicing my qualifying run and was headed to Daytona for race weekend. He saw no humor in my comment and wrote me up.

Guest HexHead
Wow,

No offense leos on here but I do not think I have ever run into a cop smart enough to know the story of Oedipus the King. LOL

I think he said he was taking classes and wasn't clear on it. :):D

I've been pulled over a bunch of times because I was born with a birth defect that causes lead to gather in my right foot. :) Go figure. Most of the time the cops/troopers/deputies are cool, even the ones that gave me tickets. I've never had one I didn't deserve. I don't fault all of them for the few @$$hats that I've run into, just like they generally don't do that to me.

It's a thankless job. They're underpaid (just like our military, fire, etc that put their lives on the line for us daily) and under-appreciated. I try to not inflict any more grief on them than they do on me.

I've been pulled over many times, my wife even makes fun of me, even though she is catching up with me. (I've slowed down since I got the Jeep), anyway, I was in high school, nissan truck, gravel parking lot, on a date. What do young men do when trying to impress a date, do donuts in gravel parking lot. Cop rolls up, give him license, he asks who my dad is, I tell him, he said I thought so. Then went on for a few minutes lecturing me or as I look back, he was probably just messing with me pretty good, and sent me on my way, told me to tell my dad.

Just got my permit, pulled over on Sam Cooper, known speed trap area. Windows down (I had very dark tint on front then), lights on, license and permit in hand on steering wheel. Told him I had a permit, he said ok, wrote the ticket. I asked him, this was my first time with my permit, did I do anything wrong when letting him know. He said, no you did fine. We talked a little more, he said the worse guys to pull over are off duty LEO's, they usually get out before we get up to them and until we know what is going on we get a little nervous when a guy gets out and a gun on their hip!

Most other interactions were me calling stuff in, (when I worked at the bank, we would see something like an aggressive panhandler type, etc) and would have interactions with LEO's. All good experiences, they knew I carried. I also delt with some other LEO's in work related issues at the bank.

I witnessed a hit and run one night near Sycamore View and I-40, and described the truck to a LEO and he took off after them, came back later and said he couldn't find them. We talked for a moment, another LEO was writing it up, they took my statement but said don't worry about it, nothing will ever come of this. The professionalism was very high.

I've only been pulled over twice with my permit, the one mentioned above, I got a ticket, and another time, my brake light was out on my Grand Cherokee (a notorious problem with the light bulb socket), and she gave me a ticket, she was not pleasant at first, not mean or anthing, but all business, I cracked a joke about my POS lights and I have been fighting with them, and she looked at me with this look on her face, I thought she was going to tear into me or something, and said something like, "My tahoe at home is giving me the same type of problems, it is such a pain trying to figure out electrical problems" We talked a minute more, she went back to her car, took off after another car with a tail light out! I got out of that ticket with the repair receipts.

One other time, I was at UT Martin, dating a girl from Jackson, went to Jackson, was going to a party, had a cooler full of beer in my old Jeep Wrangler, girl in the passenger seat. Was on South Highland, near the car dealers south of downtown, went into Cstore for a pack of smokes. Coming out, guy approaches me, asks for some money, I give him a few bucks, and head on out, I hadn't gone 100 feet, blue lights.....in a Iroc Z. I pull over, guy jumps out, jeans, tshirt, long hair, badge hanging around his neck, Drug cop. He questions me, asks if he could search my Jeep, I gave him the keys, informed him that I had a 12 pack on ice in the back, he said "I'm not a beer cop" I laughed...nervously. He searched, saw that I was not from Jackson, and not familiar with the areas and told me that I gave money to a guy at a known drug deal location. Lots of people come here to set up deals. He could have hassled me, the young college kid, but he was cool.

All in all, I have a lot of run ins, and most have been pleasant, other than the whole ticket thing.:)

In my almost 30 years riding/driving I have been lit up twice, both times in the early 2000's in CA. The first time was in 03 and I was coming home from a training evolution up in Fallen, NV. It was after midnight on highway 395 and there isnt ANY traffic on the road. I had just gotten gas in Big Pine in Inyo county and took off. I was driving my brand spanking new 2003 Dodge Ram with the temp tag in the window. Needless to say, state road, speed limit 55, I was just seeing how fast my new Dodge would go and see how high I could set my cruise control.:) Well the CHP lit me up right as I hit 105. Ooops. He was way behind me, so I turned on the hazard lights, pulled over, turned off the engine and turned on all interior lights and just sat there will he got up to me. Well i had my uniforms hanging the hook in the back seat, so he couldnt really see me. In hindsight, not really smart on my part. Anyway, he got up to the window, i hand him my lic. and ins. He askes for registraion and I tell him its in the window on the passenger side. He asked if I knew why he pulled me over, to which I say probably because i was going "a little fast". He asked me how many speeding tickets I have gotten and I tell him this is my first. He then asked why I was going so fast, I explain that i have to pick up my wife at the San Diego airport at 9 am and was just trying to get home to get a few hours sleep before I have to go to the airport. He than asks my rate, where I have been and what command I was in. He was a former FMF Corpsman in Vietnam. After he ran my info, he wrote me up for no seat belt ($50), saving me a huge ticket, possible impound and in general a nightmare. He also told me to keep my speed to no more than 10 over and have a safe deployment.

Hindsight being 20/20, I was very lucky to not have run into Inyo County Sheriff Dept. Those from SoCal can attest to how that "might" have turned out. LOL

I live near a sharp curve that's just over the crest of a small hill. In bad weather, we can usually count on at least one car crunching the guard rail. The sheriff's deputies in this part of Wilson County have always been polite and professional when this happens. They always are primarily concerned about the people.

I got stopped in the NC mountains shortly after getting passed by another bike going at least 30mph faster than I was. The Trooper looked at my license and registration carefully, and then said "I guess I got the wrong bike. I don't suppose a 25 year old Honda would have been going over 100." I smiled and said "I could have been, but wasn't. This one redlines at 160." He didn't even crack a smile, but just told me to ride safe and have a nice day.

The THP had some good cops down there in middle TN. My dad and I were coming back from nashville last february driving my mom's suv as my dad's sebring was in the shop for something. Anyways, the fuel pump went out on my mom's Cherokee Overland and so it left us stranded on the side of the interstate. Dad called THP and they sent some officers out. They made us get in their vehicles so we could stay warm and were politely carrying on convos with us the whole time. They found us a wrecker that would carry us all the way back to dayton. The tow bill was 300.00 but chrysler reimbursed us after dad threatened a law suit. The thp officers were very professional and seemed to care about our well being.

Guest Todd@CIS

Last week, one of my officers drove up on a lady who had run out of gas.

He gave her a ride to a gas station, pulled out his wallet and bought her $7 worth of gas so she could get home.

These are the kinds of things I see ALL THE TIME.

Does this stuff get printed in the newspaper? Ahh, no.

It's much more fun to get on a forum and tell everyone what a bunch of Aholes cops are...

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Admin Team

So back over the Christmas holdiay I was in Atlanta visiting relatives. It was Sunday morning and I was sitting at a light when all of the sudden -WHAM - I got rear ended.

I got out of the car, and as I got out noticed the clean black Grand Marquis that hit me. A uniformed officer got out of the car, and his first words were, "that was totally my fault." He was texting while driving, and nailed me. I actually got away with only minor damage. However, my trailer hitch punched through his radiator - he had to be towed off.

The funny thing about this was that because we were in a city jurisdiction instead of county, and due to the fact that an off duty officer was involved in a collision, and due to the fact that he was a Major with 35 years on the force, a lot of officers had to respond. So, on my way to church on Sunday morning, I was pulled over in the Dunwoody Library parking lot looking like I must have been the unibomber. I can only imagine what passersby must have thought.

All of the officers were incredibly professional despite the really awkward situation. I was genuinely impressed. I'm afraid I can't say the same for dealing with Dekalb County in getting my truck fixed, but the officers were awesome.

When I lived in Georgia,My Sheriff's Deputy buddy and I hopped in my airplane and flew to Savanna for a gun show. I was in the market for a nice 45 and didn't know anything about them. I private individual at the gun show noticed what I was looking for and offered to sell me a Nice Ruger 45 stainless. My Sheriff's Deputy buddy looked it over and said it was a good weapon. After we landed back at the home airport, He stated . . . I can't let you go home with an empty weapon. He then filled up both clips that came with the gun with hydro shocks. :tinfoil:

Dont hold back Greg! LOL

In 97 I had just transferred back to San Diego from Hawaii. I sold everything in Hawaii (car, truck and motorcycle) so I was heading up to Vista to look at a rat 73 Ironhead Sportster. I pulled up to a traffic light with no one in front of me. The left turn signal turned green and the car proceeded into the left turn. A car going 50+ mph ran the light and nailed the lady hard! Her car was totaled. The guy who ran the light righted himself in the seat, looked around and took off. The left trun light was still green, so I took off after the guy. I followed him through several turns until I got his tag, car make and model, and physical description and returned to the scene. I aproached the first officer I saw and he started telling me to clear the area. I told him that I had witnessed the accident and followed the hit and run driver. He sent me to the officer in charge and I repeated the story and handed him the notes I took of the guy/vehicle. He asked if I would be willing to go identify the guy, i said yes. So they herded me to a squad car and I started jokingly protesting that I would really rather not ride in the back. Oh well, so he had the notes i had taken and he started asking me a few questions about my work (I wrote the notes on my SERE field issue custody card). He had just gotten out of the Corps and was asking me when I was an instrucor there. It seems he had been a SERE student a few years back and had gotten some "special" treatment. LOL Since there isnt any way for me to get out of the back seat he (JOKING of course) started into a SERE type interrogation. Overall it was rather funny. The LEO's were pretty cool and were appreciative of my help. I eventually got a Thank You card from the lady that got hit and a court summons. :tinfoil: I didnt make it though, I was under military orders to be somewhere else on that day.

Had a blowout in a curve at mile 156 on I-40 eastbound. THP pulls ups and turns on his lights. He stays until I'm done changing the tire. I appreciated his car and lights alerting oncoming 80 mph traffic that I was hunkered down with a 1/2" drive flex handle just around the curve. After I was done, he thanked me for having a spare and the tools to change my tire. I looked at him funny and he said, "If you only knew."

Arizona cop pulls me and my buddy over for doing 92 on I-40 about two hours west of Flagstaff. My buddy flashes his badge and he let us go after giving said buddy a lecture (buddy was driving). It was like he didn't really want to let us go, even though a cop was driving. I came away with a positive attitude toward this guy because he seemed reluctant to put away his ticket book at the mere sight of a badge. He did in the end, though.

Edited by deerslayer