My Remy 870.

• I can hunt anything from small birds to deer,
  • it is reliable,
  • it is easy to clean,
  • it is not going to jam,
  • I have plenty of ammo,
  • I can probably find more ammo if needed
  • It is a good defensive weapon

Drawback is it is loud and has less range than my AR. If I could take two, I would (870 and AR15).

Guest 1817ak47
I would have an AR with a .22LR upper and .223Rem upper

now that sounds likea good idea. how long would it take to change out from one caliber to the other?? 22 can have alot more rounds per same weight and volume

To me the only drawback with humping a 12ga is the limited amount of ammunition one could carry... in the same space that 100 shells of 12ga takes up, I can carry 500rd of .223 or .45acp... or nearly 1000rd of 9mm... or several thousand rounds of .22lr.

Honestly... I would see an SBR'ed PS90 as an awesome bug-out weapon. Very light and one could carry a bunch of ammo. Since bugging out wouldn't involve hunting so much as just getting from one place to another... Having a hunting weapon would only come into play for extended periods of bugging-in.

Personally, I'd take an AR if I was on foot (which would be the only scenario I would forsee having to make such a choice).

Really depends on what the bug out is, how long it will last, etc.

For a short-term bugout, I'd be strongly tempted to grab my .40 Sub2ooo that uses the same mags as my Glocks - easily concealable and very light. Also makes carrying ammo much easier.

For a long-term bugout (like, never coming back) I'd probably go with an AR with the CMMG .22lr conversion kit in the bag.

Guest Republican

If I had to grab a long gun and bug out it would be a Marlin 22 magnum. Its Light, Accurate, Reliable, Can carry lots of ammo, Can kill anyhting from a whitetail to a squirrel, Muzzle report is not that loud. Yes, it will humanely kill a whitetail if shot in lungs.

CAR-15 with .22 conversion kit. And Suppressor. Breaks down into a relatively small package if you need to conceal it. Versatile enough for any use from chipmunks to black bear and anything in between. If I need to bug-out, I would prefer to make my shots as quietly as possible!

It would be a tough choice between one of my 12ga shotguns and my AR, but most likely I would go with the AR. For me it's one of my most accurate long guns, so I could make VERY well placed shots on anything that I needed to shoot. With mine being .223, it's small enough that head shots on small game wouldn't do too much damage to the parts that I would be eating. It's also large enough that a well placed shot on a deer would get the job done as well. It's easier to carry the rifle and ammo around than any of my other long guns as well, and more capacity in the mags. Even though some would disagree, it would also be good for duck or bird hunting in this type of situation because normal hunting laws will not be a factor, and I could sit around somewhere and pick doves off the power lines with it. The only issue I would have with it is the fact that it's much louder than what I would really like. A suppressed .22 would be ideal, but my only issue would be in the ability to bring down larger game and/or BG's with it.

The 12ga would be nice, but the range, mag capacity, and ability to carry extra ammo would probably cause me to make the AR choice. The only real advantage is that a good pump shotgun would be more reliable than most AR's out there over a long period of time with no ability to get replacement parts.

If I had to grab a long gun and bug out it would be a Marlin 22 magnum. Its Light, Accurate, Reliable, Can carry lots of ammo, Can kill anyhting from a whitetail to a squirrel, Muzzle report is not that loud. Yes, it will humanely kill a whitetail if shot in lungs.

I was wondering about this myself and whether or not my MN25 would be a good choice.

While I don't hunt, I've heard of its ability to take down a deer.