Bug Out Long Gun?

All depends. Vehicle bugout? I'm taking a young arsenal. On foot, weight being a huge consideration, not likely to take a long shot, but wanting more punch than a 22, I'm likely going to take...

(I can already hear folks laughing )

An M1 carbine.

I'm not likely to be able to purchase more ammo in a bugout situation, so that isn't a factor. Lighter and less menacing appearance than typical AR's. Enough punch to deal with anything not wearing armor. Easy enough to carry 300 rounds or so (if you need more you're going in the wrong direction).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends. Vehicle bugout? I'm taking a young arsenal. On foot, weight being a huge consideration, not likely to take a long shot, but wanting more punch than a 22, I'm likely going to take...

(I can already hear folks laughing )

An M1 carbine.

I'm not likely to be able to purchase more ammo in a bugout situation, so that isn't a factor. Lighter and less menacing appearance than typical AR's. Enough punch to deal with anything not wearing armor. Easy enough to carry 300 rounds or so (if you need more you're going in the wrong direction).

you bring up alot of valid and often over-looked points.

bugging out means you have a 3-day pack to take you to your bug-out location which should already have a small arsenal there stowed away.

In that case a .22 pistol and defensive service-sized pistol and maybe a rifle capable of taking a deer. Do you really think that you need a whole deer to eat during 3-days to supplement your food already in your pack? small game would be much more ideal, plus even an unsuppressed .22 will draw much less attention than an unsuppressed deer rifle.

I had (fora short while) and like those 410/22 combos, but it isn't what I would pick as a BO gun. My primary use would be self defense, and a single shot doesn't lend itself to that particular role very well. My choice for survival game-gathering would be fishing, which is also a role not particularly suited to firearms.

A lever action, ala OS's choice, would work. My wife has a stainless '92 in .357 she is fond of, but IIRC, it is actually noticeably heavier than the carbine.

I have a folding stock for the carbine, to boot, which makes it a good deal handier to pack, if not significantly lighter.

Guest smileyguy

I'd like to take the 12 gauge, but shells are too bulky. I'd also like to take my Marlin 22 for small game, but I have wire for squirrel poles/snares. For me, the AK is coming with me. Great for defense if needed, capable of taking medium sized game within reasonable distance, and there's basically nothing I can do to make that thing not shoot.

This is a tough one. First instinct is the AK but the MSAR STG seems to be a better choice. The 5.56 round is more versatile for small game up to deer and with 42 round mags I can carry a lot more of it. The bull-pup design also will make moment a lot easier.

I'll just have my wife carry the AK for backup and when things get really nasty!:D

• 1 month later...
If I had to grab a long gun and bug out it would be a Marlin 22 magnum. Its Light, Accurate, Reliable, Can carry lots of ammo, Can kill anyhting from a whitetail to a squirrel, Muzzle report is not that loud.

^ this.

• 2 weeks later...

Being at my BOL! My only concern is which bag is in my vehicle at the time I need to retreat home.

Normally I would have a 556P 4 mags and 200 spare loose rounds as primary and a Sub2000 40 as backup to my G27 if Bug out is on foot and I need concealment.

The G27 fits in my pocket and the Sub2000 is in a sling bag with xtra mags that fit both. It sorta looks like a custom day pack that is well worn.

Guest Dean Wormer

3 longguns I think would be ideal, in order:

- a shotgun

- a 22lr

- an AK (or AR, or whatever battle rifle you choose, I'd go light and low maintenance, personally). If the situation has gotten so bad you feel the need to have one of these on you, you don't want to have to worry about part replacemnent and regular cleaning/lubing.

So, given 1 gun, shotgun

The top criticisms of a shotgun seem to be:

- range. My response is you can make 100 yards hits with a shotgun (right ammo, practice)... and if you get yourself in a situation where you need to shoot someone >100 yards away, well, you are going to have a very bad day no matter what gun you brought.

- ammo capacity... So you may only be able to carry 100 shells, 10-20 on/in the gun... again, if you think you'll need hundreds of rounds of ammunition in a single 'outing', see previous.

my 15-22. it will kill whatever i need to eat and im assuming if i HAD to shoot at someone they are going to run and not try to guess what caliber is being shot at them. not to mention i can carry a ton of ammo if need be

I'd take the AR... 5.56 for medium size game and humans/zombies, and .22lr conversion can be installed/removed in seconds for small game or very very quiet zombie assassination using 60gr Colibris through the suppressor.

• 3 months later...