Where to live in Memphis?

Guest BigNoise

Guest BigNoise

I am moving to Memphis in July so my then wife ( getting married in June) can attend UTs School of Pharmacy, naturally I am looking at places to live. So, all you Memphites give me some recommendations!

Stipulations:

We will only be there for 12 months

Low crime!

Close to Midtown area/UT's campus

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low crime!

Close to Midtown area/UT's campus

BBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:rofl: no really, welcome to the jungle, combat gear required.....The apartments downtown on mud island are nice. Like all over Memphis I stay aware of surrounding at all times.

• Moderators

How about low crime for Memphis?

The problem you are going to run into finding a low crime area close to midtown is this, unlike most cities that have fairly well defined "good" areas and "bad" areas, in Memphis it is a block by block situation. No matter where you are inside the city limits you are just a few blocks from the hood. that's not an exaggeration, that's fact. The midtown area is awesome for amenities and things to do and places to eat. It also has high property crime (car break and home burglaries) large vagrant population (pushed out of downtown to keep them away from tourists) and high rate of robberies near and in one of the best parts, Cooper-Young.

Your choices are lower crime where you live and a commute, or higher crime where you live and no commute. No getting around it and having both.

Having grown up there, have family that still lives there and I still visit occasionally.

They are not pulling your leg, that's the thing about Memphis, Bartlett, Shelby County in general, there is no safe place. Get your permits, get some training, and be diligent at all times.

How about low crime for Memphis?

The problem you are going to run into finding a low crime area close to midtown is this, unlike most cities that have fairly well defined "good" areas and "bad" areas, in Memphis it is a block by block situation. No matter where you are inside the city limits you are just a few blocks from the hood. that's not an exaggeration, that's fact. The midtown area is awesome for amenities and things to do and places to eat. It also has high property crime (car break and home burglaries) large vagrant population (pushed out of downtown to keep them away from tourists) and high rate of robberies near and in one of the best parts, Cooper-Young.

Your choices are lower crime where you live and a commute, or higher crime where you live and no commute. No getting around it and having both.

+1

Olive Branch or Southaven Mississippi. Jump on the interstate and commute. Grew up in SE Shelby county for over 20 yrs till my parents moved across the border. All the other comments are correct about actually living in Memphis.

Guest jackdm3

For only 12 months, just get an apartment close to UT. Make it easy on her. Most homes in midtown are two-story. Get a top floor and park your cars in plain view of a well lit street/drive. There is no safe zone, but Lakeland is where we want to go. I'd still have my guard up there too. In fact, I'll have my guard up forever.

Use a "Club." Even better, install a kill switch. Learn to take the face plates off your stereos. De-clutter your cars of EVERYTHING so they don't think you're covering something up. If you HAVE to get a bottom apartment or rent a house, screw the sashes together with decent screws. This is scary, right? :2cents: Fortify your lives for just one year, here, and take the knowledge back from whence you came. Consider us a training camp. It's doable, though. We still have 600,000 in the city limits alone, and 1,000,000 in the metro area, and people stay put.

Also, go to the "Memphis Roster" for whenever we meet.

As the others have said - it really is a street by street thing. Even the "nice" areas are infected with high "vandalism misdemeanors" as that is how it is reported if someone simply attempts to break in and does not steal anything. (Cannot have Memphis looking like a high crime area.)

If you do not already have one, get your permit. If you already have it, keep it renewed.

Enjoy the city. There is a lot to do for young college types. Plenty of cool hang outs - Hi-Tone, Young Avenue Deli, Blue Monkey are just a few.

Keep your wits about you and stay safe. The more situational awareness you have the less likely something will happen to you.

I have lived here for over 20 years and have only been "accosted" a couple of times by vagrants. Do not advertise and you will likely be left alone.

Stay off of streets named after Presidents or States.

Guest jackdm3

That reminds me taht you'll be hit upon many, many times by panhandlers. When they ask for some cash, tell them "Everything's credit cards/plastic, these days!" This works almost every time.

Downtown would be nice if you want to live in an apartment. There is a Memphis blogger named Paul ryburn that could help you with a place downtown. Plus he blogs about the social stuff that goes on downtown. You can view his blog at Paul Ryburn’s Journal — Daily thoughts of a Downtown Memphis resident

If you want to rent a house look around central and parkway. Some really nice places overe there. My sister rented a house on higbee street and at first I was really scared for her but once I met her neighboors and spent some time over there it was a really nice place where people watched out for each other.

Guest BigNoise

I am an urban sociology/criminology grad student, I know about crime! but what I meant was, of course the campus area is full of crime, but I would like to live someplace where I can walk my dog. We visited Germantown and loved it, Mud Island as well. But, some of the apartments especially in the Mud Island areas are very high. So my question is, where do you Memphis people live?

I live way out east, Walnut grove, White Station area. I work out here, kids go to school out here, go to church out here. My work takes me to the many arm pits of this city. You can spell Industrial Park without using Ghetto, but you can't get to one.

Plenty of folks live in the midtown area and go to school at UT, work in the area, and never have any problems. Just be aware, get a permit, and I would try to live between Madison and Central, Union is the middle, as a general guideline.