Now YOU Can Play Gun Shop Owner

The Rabbi

So I am back to having a number of spaces empty on the rifle rack. This has been a continuing problem with my shop, namely that I have yet to find a long gun category that will sell decently.

I started with a couple of HD shotguns and C&R rifles.

They didnt sell well.

Someone pointed out that Academy of Sports sells Mavericks for like .99 cents out the door (I exaggerate). So cheap HD shotguns were not really the way to go.

Someone else pointed out that anyone really interested in C&R stuff would just get the C&R license himself and order direct.

So C&R rifles aren't a good market.

I don't want to sell the usual Rem 700 stuff because anyone can go to Ass Pro Shop and pick up that sort of thing. You don't need me for that.

I've done OK with the AKs and ARs--not great but OK enough to get more in.

So what would anyone like to see in a long gun selection? Not stuff you want to play with in the shop (I already have one or two people who think this is a petting zoo) but stuff you might actually want to buy.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I dunno rabbi, thats a hard question. You might want to look at representing one of the AR makers, like RRA would be my preference, because the trigger rules and the finish is good enough. I bet everyone on here owns a couple ars or wants a couple ars.

Maybe get a complete 16" standard A4 carbine, a complete 20" A4 style rifle, and a couple of handled uppers with bolts. Maybe get a 16" all tricked out with knobs and lights. Maybe get a riser block and stick a scope on it. Maybe some decent sights. The idea being that anyone that walked in could buy a "somewhat custom" RRA rifle, and your stocking fee is what, 5k?

I already own 3 ar's though, so i'm not in the market for a 4th. I might buy an upper with a 1 in 7 twist at the upcoming gunshow if i see one that looks good. Or then i might have to order something if not.

I have watched the middle TN market since 1984. Here is what you do, right before deer season, order enough 7400 remingtons to get a good price on them. Best to buy them up used at the end of the previous deer season probably. Then, put tall aluminum hi/lo see through scope mounts on it with a cheap scope on it (any $39 scope will do), extended mags, camo paint, extra shell holder on the butt stock, and a six pack of empty beer cans with a 50 yard bullseye on it with instructions on how to sight in leaning over the hood of a pick up truck. Finally, include 3 seasons worth of practice ammo...about 1 box should be enough and offer a deer season special for $499. You should sell a lot of those because every guy I met in middle TN back in the late 80's to early 90's had one. I had one friend who actually let me build him a decent rifle on a Remington 700BDL in 308, steel rings and bases, Leopold 2-7 VIII, we loaded him up some good handloads and got it zeroed and he was so surprised when he could actually hit exactly what he was aiming at :).

My point to all this is you are not going to do any good in this part of the country trying to sell to the masses. You need to seek those that can appreciate quality, and work with a narrower group. Once you find that group you could also help sell there items locally and/or buy the good stuff and put it on gunbroker. But no matter how you approach the complete rifle market, as opposed to parts kits and AR stuff, it is a tough market.

Who is your typical customer? That will affect my answer quite a bit.

It's funny. I don't really have a typical customer. I often see Lamont A. Thug and his bro's here. Not that they have money or could pass a background check if they did. But they do sometimes buy stuff.

Then I get the heavy users, like some folks off this forum. These are people who support 1 gun a month on the theory that it mandates buying one a month. They tend to look for the unusual.

It is a poorer part of town but of course real gun buyers will travel half the state just to check what you've got.

In handguns the store business plan calls for guns between $200-500. That seems to have worked pretty well and when I try to get fancy and put in something more expensive (like the 386Sc carry package I advertised here) I tend to get disappointed (that one did sell, btw).

So I don't know what the comparative market for long guns might be.

A full stock of Hi-Point handguns and carbines...

1/2 dozen SKS

1/2 dozen Mosins

1/2 dozen K31

1/2 dozen WASR10

a few AK74s

several sw9ve and sw40ve

1/2 dozen different GLOCKS

1/2 dozen j frame wheel guns

Taurus and SA 1911 models

several Taurus 24/7s

several Ruger 9mm pistols

A full range of Kel-Tec pistols and carbines

I think these will all sell as quick as anything would.

Guest canynracer

wow...hard question...especially cause I am broke all the time, so I may fit into your clientel...lol...

I have been looking at cheaper semi-auto rifles...starter type things, lower end AKs stuff like that...mike had a point about the keltecs...

mostly I want something that LOOKS mean, shoots well...not necessarily for hunting...

coming from Los Angeles, I would imagine your clientel is looking for the similar :)

Oh, and fyi..the Hi-Point rifles are BUTT ugly!!! (thats another subject)

A couple of different Ruger 10/22 models would probably get some attention, as would the occasional 9mm carbine (Hi-Point, Kel-Tec and Beretta CX-4) or intermediate caliber lever-action Rossi .357mag or Marlin .357 - .30-30...

I'm just throwing ideas out there that I always look for when I visit a gun-shop. Sounds like you've got most of the other bases covered.

1/2 dozen SKS

1/2 dozen Mosins

1/2 dozen K31

1/2 dozen WASR10

a few AK74s

several sw9ve and sw40ve

several Taurus 24/7s

But then I'd have to look at it and :eek:handle that stuff. Without gloves.

The shop is also funny. Things that sell pretty well elsewhere don't move. I had a Kel Tec PLR16, the hottest gun on the market, for like 6 weeks with barely a nibble. I ended up selling it on GB for more than I had on the tag.

On the other hand I do pretty well with used Smith & Wesson autos, 3953s, 4004s etc. Also used Glocks. Used SIGs dont sell as well. I don't know why.

I am leaning to the "assault rifle", "sniper rifle" mode.

My point to all this is you are not going to do any good in this part of the country trying to sell to the masses. You need to seek those that can appreciate quality, and work with a narrower group. Once you find that group you could also help sell there items locally and/or buy the good stuff and put it on gunbroker. But no matter how you approach the complete rifle market, as opposed to parts kits and AR stuff, it is a tough market.

I agree.

Knowing your market, your customer, and how you fit in is most important.

Find an under-served segment in the industry, and commit to it.

1/2 dozen SKS

1/2 dozen Mosins

1/2 dozen K31

1/2 dozen WASR10

a few AK74s

several sw9ve and sw40ve

several Taurus 24/7s

Very good suggestions. (except Rabbi may want to cut those numbers a bit)

All guns fit that "I want a good gun, but dont want to spend a bunch of money" crowd.

I am leaning to the "assault rifle", "sniper rifle" mode.

Have some super high zoot rifles on display, and then offer guns that look and function at 80% of that at 30% the price.

I have guys that come in and fondle our Tikka T3 Tacticals, FN SPRs, Remington PSS, etc but are on a Savage budget.

We sell really nice Savage packages for around 500 bucks that make many "wannabe sniper" customers very happy.

I agree.

Knowing your market, your customer, and how you fit in is most important.

Find an under-served segment in the industry, and commit to it.

Very good suggestions. (except Rabbi may want to cut those numbers a bit)

All guns fit that "I want a good gun, but dont want to spend a bunch of money" crowd.

Have some super high zoot rifles on display, and then offer guns that look and function at 80% of that at 30% the price.

I have guys that come in and fondle our Tikka T3 Tacticals, FN SPRs, Remington PSS, etc but are on a Savage budget.

We sell really nice Savage packages for around 500 bucks that make many "wannabe sniper" customers very happy.

All of that is excellent advice.

Part of my issue is that I'm not a rifle guy. I go through a rifle phase every 18 months before deciding that my time (and money) would be better spent on hand-guns. I mean, heck, I carry one every day. Can't say that about a rifle.

Well, if you're having success with a handgun plan that aims at a $200-500 price point... Why not apply the same basic theory to long guns with a lower inventory level? There's probably a lot of long guns that would match up with that price range.

Savage package guns, Henry lever actions, or other guns that you won't normally find at the local Wal-Mart, but that are still within the price range you're aiming for. I guess it really just depends on your customer base.

I agree with Joe.

My first rifle after getting out of the service many moons ago was a Savage 110 and I still have it. The guy looking for a decent shooter with low budget (and boy was I) will love these. I don't know if your area would allow for the niche of aftermarket stocks but that is what makes a mutt rifle look like a super sniper or varmint rifle. For 70 bucks and a bottle of true oil you could corner the market with multiple looks for the low end Savage's in 30-06 etc. Thumbhole varmiters, standard wood stocks, etc all placed on the rifle after removing the composite.

This is what I did with mine (after I broke the OEM composite stock in a tragic 4 wheeler backing up incident) Boyds stock and a Cabelas Pine Ridge Scope. Heck I'll even work with ya for a small fee to do your sanding and refinishing for "custom stock work" Rabbi.

Savage110riflewithcustomhandstoc-1.jpg

I like where this thread has gone so far. I am at the lowest financial state of my life right now, so I will by no means be making a purchase soon. However, if I could it would be some sort of bolt gun in 30-06, then another in .223, and an AR. (I had to sell my AR a couple weeks ago) I'd also be very interested in some sort of carbine in 9mm or 40S&W, but not a Hi-Point. I really dig having a long gun that ses the same ammo as my handgun.

What about a couple of the Taurus pump or lever rifles? Say a .22, 38/357, and a 44mag? Those fit soundly in you range and are really something you don't see all the time. I've got a Marlin 1894 in 357mag which I paid way too much for (like $250 too much. They really raped me) from a local shop when compared to Bass Pro or whatever, now that I know a little more about gun prices. Looking back on that one, I still would buy from that shop (love those guys!) but I should have done more research and bargained a little more. I was new and they knew that, but I guess it's all part of the game. I've never wanted to play the haggle/dicker game, but I guess that's just the way it goes. I've worked both sides of that table and like neither.

wow..... that's a bit off topic!!

Anywho, buy some cool guns and I hope they sell real fast for you, so you can turn around and buy more even cooler guns!

One other thing, I go to the shows a lot and I know a lot of the guys at the tables. I see a lot of $600+ dollar guns sitting on the table and usually get traded but I see a lot of $200-300 guns flying off the tables. They are the lower end name brand guns as a general rule, used ,taken in trade or bought cheap, but they sell.

Glockster, you hit on a good point.

Part of what distinguishes the handgun market from the long gun market is the availability of cheap surplus LE handguns. I couldn't count how many of those I've sold. They're great value and fit right into my price range.

But outside of one Mini 14 I've gotten I never see similar long guns. This is for obvious reasons.

So the used .308s I've taken on trade have done fine. But unless someone is walking through the door wanting to trade these things are few and far between.

And then there is weird stuff. I have turned down offers to sell 3 different pimped out SKS's in the last 10 days. I have no idea what the market for an SKS with tactical collapsible stock, scope, and bi pod is. People do strange things to their long guns.

Guest Steelharp
Part of what distinguishes the handgun market from the long gun market is the availability of cheap surplus LE handguns. I couldn't count how many of those I've sold. They're great value and fit right into my price range.

I agree, the only problem I see with that is it gives you a lot of .40 handguns, and little else to choose from. If that's not the caliber of choice for a particular buyer, he'll take his money elsewhere.

I think the area you're in is more of a handgun crowd than long guns anyway, Bill. (Politically incorrect statement carefully avoided, but mentally bringing a smile to my face.) :D