Good Gunshops in Knoxville

Guest RGL01

Guest hi im drummer03
Is there anybody in East Tennessee that's not ridiculously high on transfers?

Yes.South Clinton Pawn has been the highest and nicest people i have talked too.Buy my guns at CCA though :wall:

They generally charge 30 a gun if they carry the gun in stock or not.

CCA.. We went, we looked, we were ignored. Prices about the same as Gunny's, if not a bit higher. They seem to have a rather large range (especially compared to Farnsworth's 6 stalls) but we never stepped foot inside.. nobody seemed to want to help us and there was a crowd of people standing around clogging up the counter either waiting to be waited on or just bs'ing. Was hard to tell. Never got to so much as TOUCH a gun there much less get any info on them. Won't be back.QUOTE]

CCA while can be difficult sometimes they are the cheapest around.

I put a Glock in layaway at Austin's yesterday.

Seriously?How much is it going to be and which model?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyescream

FWIW, I've never had any trouble at CCA and I like them just fine. I just mostly buy used, or items that nobody carries around here, and I think $30+$10 or $50+$10 mostly for just being open during normal business hours is kinda silly.

Coal Creek=I go in there about once every two years, then I tell myself I have no reason to ever go back.

Bob Farnsworth in Vonore-They don't come any better. Been doing business with him for $20 years. Limited selection. Bad location for me.

Money to Go Pawn-East Broadway in Maryville. Ken and Ron-awesome guys. $15 for FFL transfers. They give you a call the moment your order comes in. In and out in 8 minutes before.

I now use Mike's in Tazewell for most of my shopping. Sometimes I go to his location in Middlesboro for long guns. I do not know what he would charge for a transfer as I usually buy other items when I have a transfer. I found I get better service when I develop a relationship with the store but then I spent 37 years in customer service. so tend to repeat business where I get better service.

Coal Creek=I go in there about once every two years, then I tell myself I have no reason to ever go back.

Bob Farnsworth in Vonore-They don't come any better. Been doing business with him for $20 years. Limited selection. Bad location for me.

Money to Go Pawn-East Broadway in Maryville. Ken and Ron-awesome guys. $15 for FFL transfers. They give you a call the moment your order comes in. In and out in 8 minutes before.

I like the money to go pawn for transfers also. They are quick, cheap, and courteous.

Guest southernstriker0311

I stopped by Bill's Outpost today. Great guy. Great prices. I also like the fact that my money stays local. He has everything from spinner baits to AR lowers. Nice one stop shop. He even had some pretty cool novelty stuff. I will definately be doing business with him in the future.

Well, my opinion on CCA has changed a bit after my visit last night. The range is finally getting the much needed work and is starting to look pretty good. I was treated right when checking out the cabinet as well.

Back on topic: South Clinton pawn is pretty good. I've bought 3 or 4 guns from them.

I've also been to Frontier and while the customer service was friendly I wasn't overly impressed by the prices(I didn't try to bargain any though).

I have used "The Gun Shack" in Luttrell to transfer the 3 guns I've ordered (25 for the transfer including tics). He doesn't have much in stock but is happy to order anything and has better prices than most other brick and mortar stores I've been in.

If you're willing to drive, Tri-Cities Gun Depot is pretty nice. They have great prices and are building a reasonable stock.

I've also been to Frontier and while the customer service was friendly I wasn't overly impressed by the prices(I didn't try to bargain any though).

Yeah, they seem to be the highest of the new handgun sellers at the Knoxville shows ...

- OS

Guest FastLane1000

I don't know why everyone is so hard on coal creek. I've bought two guns there and both were priced right. They have taken care of me on everything from night sites to range time. Scott is great and everyone is friendly to me. The lanes are redone with fresh paint, lights and cables. Their range charge is $10 now too

Edited by FastLane1000
"Good Gunshops in Knoxville"

I thought this was a joke thread, like the world's shortest books:

"French War Victories"

"The Code of Ethics for Lawyers"

"The Amish Phone Book"

"Vacations in Detroit"

and the like.

- OS

This made me laugh!

I've been searching for a decent shop in town since Guns and More closed shop. Jess used to take good care of me, transfers were never a problem, ect. For the life of me I can't understand how a gun shop closed down in the middle of one of the biggest "boom" times for the industry...

I've consistently been turned off at CCA. The state of their range is embarrassing. For a business to bring in so much money on range time, the condition of their stalls, lighting, carriers, ect was horrid. I read here that they have recently improved the range, but unfortunately it will take a small miracle to get me back in the door to try it. Maybe if they offered a "were you turned off by the state of our old range, give us a try again, free range day promo"....

I shoot at Gunny's, but largely because it is convenient for me, and the range is pretty nice. I am a member, and usually shoot during the mid-day hours when I'm in Maryville doing business. I understand that a lot of people are upset about their "new" hours, but I never get to shoot after work, or on the weekends (Sunday) so it doesn't really affect me. Their prices on new guns seem a bit high, but as a member I get one gun a year at "cost" so we'll see how that goes when it comes time to take them up on the offer.

FWIW: I think the best "gun shop" Knoxville has to offer are the nearly monthly fun shows, that's about where all my business is conducted. Or I drive down to Cleveland and visit Warren at VOW, he's good people and has decent prices and a heck of a selection.

Guest Bowdenknxvll

I have been to most that everyone has mentioned. Frontier has good customer service, but their prices are real high. You know when you hear a commercial on the radio about focusing on customer service not prices that they are high. Gander Mtn again is horrible. Farnsworth in Vonore is a good place for used guns, and the prices are good. I have bought five older .22 rifles from him and have been happy with my purchases. Its funny how much talk there is about CCA. I have bought a few from them over the years and have been impressed with their gunshop on the few I had refinished or upgraded. I can see how their customer service would get bad reviews. I have watched their employees while I was waiting for the range and they don't engage customers that often. There have been a few good ones there though. Tony that used to manage the place is a good guy and has always helped me with insight on future purchases. Scott that works there now is also good people and I would not hesitate to do business with him again. I wished they would realize the potential that store has, it could really be a great place.

Guest Bluemax

I was on a mission Sat to find a optic for my AR and visited several shops including CCA. I was greeted when I walked thru the door and a gentleman took the time to show me several different optics. Although I ended up buying at WD's because they had a used model in stock, the expereience was good enough that I will shop again at CCA

Guest rockbottom12
Help me out and tell me why you won't go back to coal creek.

may save me some problems ,Thanks

I wont go back either. Apparently i didnt fit into their type of customer, when i went. i asked for help and was greeted with "what do you want" with the you are wasting my time attitude. asked some basic questions about the gun and was treated like an idiot. this was 2 yrs ago. I never went back.

Guest rockbottom12
Is there anybody in East Tennessee that's not ridiculously high on transfers?

MONEY TO GO IN MARYVILLE.

They transfer for $25 total. best i could find. great people too.

Guest bkelm18

The only two shops I've bought from that I will give my business to again are Personal Defense Options and Austin's TN Firearms. I've been to CCA many times over the past few years, and nothing personal to JWP but you're giving the same old song and dance you always give. You keep talking about making improvements but I've yet to see one. Staff are usually rude and condescending and the prices are underwhelming. I understand there are those that love CCA and I don't malign them but I expect them not to malign me for not liking the establishment. End of rant.

Guest Oaklands

Sevier Indoor Range is a nice place. They have a very nice gun range and the people are really friendly. They handle transfers with a smile and are always willing to help. I live in Morristown so it is about a 45 minute drive for me but well worth it.

Guest TargetShooter84

Frontier - Knew a guy that worked there, he treated me well and I liked their selection even though I didn't buy anything there.

CCA - Where do I start? ALL bad experiences from them, everytime me and a buddy of mine go to use their range, the staff is rude and ignores us and we have to constantly get their attention to just sign us in to use the range and one evening, we planned on meeting at 7pm and stay at the range til 9pm (closing time) and when I arrived there at 6:45pm, I went ahead to sign us in and the staff just went "Oh, sorry, we're closed" and refused to offer any explanation to why they were closing early so we both wasted our gas and decided to take our business somewhere else. Won't dream of going back there, its unfortunate because they are about 7 miles from where I live. Sorry CCA, but I'm done with you jerks.

South Pawn in Clinton - AWESOME guys, bought my G26 from them, brand new. Was very satisfied with them and would do business with them again.

MONEY TO GO IN MARYVILLE.

They transfer for $25 total. best i could find. great people too.

The Gun Cabinet in Maryville charges $20 for transfers. I have never been to the shop, just called to ask about the transfer and the guy I spoke to was very helpful.

I am going to check out Bills Outpost, I work 10 minutes from there and am excited about the reviews it is getting. Sounds like all he needs is a range...lol.

Speaking of ranges, I have only been to CCA, Gunny's and Sevier Indoor. IMO the prices (range time) are so similar they are really a wash and it is all about convenience - I will just goto whichever is closest to my particular location at the time I get the itch to shoot. As for as the CONDITION OF THE RANGE ALONE, Sevier Indoor Range was the nicest of them all (I went to CCA before the apparent renovations). Also, in my experience based on CUSTOMER SERVICE, Sevier Indoor Range also was the best for me.

Gunny's is the closest to my house, but with my work schedule and thier new hours it will be pretty hard for me to make it. All things considered, a typical planned Saturday shoot would send me to Sevier Indoor Range.

Guest BigNoise

Visited South Clinton Pawn yesterday...Quite possibly the nicest gun store employees I have ever met.

Mike's in Tazewell is full of nice people as well.

CCA: No Comment, all I'm saying is word of mouth is the best (or in this case worst) form of advertising. Business 101

I forgot to mention:

On Target Training Center - on Inskip behind Sugarbakers. Doug is a super nice guy, his in store selection is a little limited, but he has nice stuff. He also does transfers for $15 plus $10 for TICS. That's $25 TOTAL to transfer in a firearm! He's also super quick with communications and likes to work via email.

Guest gcrookston

I walked into Coal Creek this past week to give them yet another chance to sell me something... Tisk, tisk.

Left bare handed, once again. Would have liked to have had that Sig they had in the case, but the counter people were too busy talking amongst themselves to address me. For three years I've been walking in there and being ignored. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now... F* the hugs, service is what we, as customers, expect...

Spent appoximately 20 minutes in the store without a word from anyone. What a FAIL. Might not have been so bad had I not been the ONLY customer in the store at the time...

Said it before, say it again: "won't be back"

(why do I keep giving this place another chance to earn my business? -- what a dope I am)

Edited by gcrookston
I walked into Coal Creek this past week to give them yet another chance to sell me something... Tisk, tisk.

Left bare handed, once again. Would have liked to have had that Sig they had in the case, but the counter people were too busy talking amongst themselves to address me. For three years I've been walking in there and being ignored. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now... F* the hugs, service is what we, as customers, expect...

Spent appoximately 20 minutes in the store without a word from anyone. What a FAIL. Might not have been so bad had I not been the ONLY customer in the store at the time...

Said it before, say it again: "won't be back"

(why do I keep giving this place another chance to earn my business? -- what a dope I am)

When was your visit? Day and time if possible, and could you describe what you were wearing. I would like to go back and check the video and make sure this is accurate before I respond.

Guest BigNoise

Thats odd, it's funny how there are so many negatives on here about CCA and they still require evidence to plead their case. Step up the customer service, plain and simple. I really like the selection and the staff but, it is hard to deny all the personal accounts plastered all over TGO related to poor customer service. It is a shame, with such a great selection and an awesome indoor range myself (and I'm sure others) would love to support such a great local business.

Thats odd, it's funny how there are so many negatives on here about CCA and they still require evidence to plead their case. Step up the customer service, plain and simple. I really like the selection and the staff but, it is hard to deny all the personal accounts plastered all over TGO related to poor customer service. It is a shame, with such a great selection and an awesome indoor range myself (and I'm sure others) would love to support such a great local business.
Well, in this case, I think it has something to do with the fact that this particular poster was asked in another thread to be sure to speak up and ask for JWP if he had an issue the next time he came in. Obviously, he did not do so, and the whole story sounds a little fishy. Honestly, who drives from Hermitage to Knoxville to supposedly stand around for 20 minutes without so much as a peep? I'm a huge PITA myself, but I've had no problem getting service at CCA because I ACT LIKE A MAN AND ASK FOR IT. Just my $0.03...

ahhh CCA. Not much else can be said than what has already been mentioned by others. I will say though, that the past few visits there have been getting much better.

Tony(who to my surprise is not the owner) has been very helpful and friendly to me however there are still a few employees that are really rude. I'm not sure if its JWP or not because I don't know what he looks like(avatar ?) but there is one younger guy who really needs to work on his people skills.

On 2 separate occasions he has felt the need to basically tell me my Taurus is a POS. Are you kidding me? Even though it is a Taurus, I don't give a damn what your opinion is of it. You don't ever tell a paying customer that their gun is crap. I don't care if it's a High Point.

What an idiot to think he could say that to a customer and then expect them to continue to shop there.