Need suggestions on S&W40ve

Erik88

I always checks budsgunshop.com for sales and stumbled across this gun. I've been thinking about acquiring a new gun in .40 for a while now but I had not considered this one. Does anyone own one?

I've been checking around online and keep getting mixed reviews however most people seem to have only good things to say. Buds has a unique polished version for sale for only $329 and there is a $50 mail-in rebate. That is CHEAP. What do you guys think?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/auction_info.php/products_id/411539388/auctions_id/578/page/1/auction_show/1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of people rag on this gun. My Dad and brother both have one of these and I think it shoots really well. Yea, the trigger is a little stiff but overall I think its a good gun for the price. They have had theirs both for a couple of years and never one FTF or FTE or any other problems.

They actually have had it priced as low as 299.99 during the rebate offer, but for some reason varies by the day. Might catch it a few dollars cheaper if you watch the site, but have also seen it there for as high as 349.99 when the rebate first came out. (edit: the polished version you refer to may be different than their normal one; not sure)

A friend of mine has the 9mm version. Has been a solid gun, but I have to say the trigger pull is quite long and heavy; but I guess you never have to worry about accidentally pulling it.

The Sigmas are nicely made pistols, the only down fall is the heavy trigger, which can be fixed by replacing it with one made by Wolfe. Not sure about how true this is but supposedly Glock sued SW because the Sigma at one time was such a close copy of the Glock pistols. Either way they are solidly built guns and are very accurate, even with the heavy ass trigger.

I just looked 30 minutes ago and Bud's has that gun on auction and it had 17 hrs left. The bid was at $280 then but I don't know if their auctions include shipping.

From what I've seen and read you will probably want a trigger job done if you buy this gun.

Guest mikedwood

I had one in the 9mm and it was a good training gun. I got very proficent at tap rack bang and with the long trigger pull you can pull off a shot when you feel or see something wrong.

Edited by mikedwood

I own one in 9mm, It's construction is fine, shoots acceptably accuritely, and is hard to beat for the price. I can say the trigger leaves something to be desired, but it's not too hard to improve, and doesn't really effect performance. If your used to Glocks you would be happier buying one of those b/c the trigger difference in night and day. My plans are to eventually make mine a backup gun to leave in the emergency kit if i keep it.

what exactly would a trigger job be? and how much does that cost? Should I just save my money and go for a nicer gun?

I like the Sig p250 and the Glock 23. Springfield XD 4" would be nice also. All of which would run me a lot more money.

As with the accuracy of the sigma, in my hands it is more accurate than a Glock is in my hand. and for those who want a lighter trigger pull here is your remedy, say thank you AJ :rock:

Wolff Striker Spring S&W Sigma 3-1/2 lb Reduced Power - MidwayUSA

take apart slide put in bowl of alchohol (trichloethylene if you can get it)

take out let dry. now dissemble the firing pin (take off plastic stop on end of slide) be careful the extractor spring may fly wild on ya.

replace with wolff spring 3.5#. dont reassemble yet

now where sear and slot in slide meet polish that slot. use an emery board. your just smoothing it out reducing some friction there.

next on the trigger connector do same thing on top of tabs coming off trigger connector.

now where trigger connector and slide mate. get some steel wool.fine steel wool. polish those surfaces too. remember were reducing friction not removing metal. 1 drop of oil in cam block (end of trigger connector) reassemble unit. dry fire LOTS

reduced smooth trigger pull

totally different trigger than the one i bought

have fun be safe

remember all guns are LOADED until we know otherwise (copied from some dude's post named sigmaman on THR)

Edited by mk19

I have a .40 and a 9mm in the ve my wife keeps the 9mm and wont give it up.

I tried changing the straps on the HK P30 and she said she feels more comfort with the sigma.

I told her if she didn't take the HK I wanted a devorce.

We have never had a problem out of either the 40 or the 9

Guest Boogieman

I've got the 9mm and I love it. I'm still getting used to the trigger pull. I've heard it smoothes out after a few hundred rounds.

The key to being accurate with the Sigma is pulling the trigger straight back. When I started doing that and not "squeezing" the trigger, the gun became deadly accurate. All of a sudden I was hitting center mass at 25 yards.

i shot one owned by a friend, and the trigger is pretty bad. if you can fix the trigger, though, i thought it would be a fairly solid gun. i hard a hard time keeping the shots on the bulls-eye, but they all stayed on target at 10 yards.