Don't trust Savage marketing: GRAPHIC WARNING!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest billwilly73

I got the same pics and it said it was from 6x50 gr pyrodex pellets instead of the normal 3.:bat:

Whatever caused it.............it would suck to be that dude.

On a side note, the scope and rings look like they held up pretty good. Wonder what kind they are?

Edited by billwilly73

I'll nearly guarantee some moron put a 100 grains of some smokeless powder in it. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! Those rifles WERE designed to shoot smokeless powder. They list approved loads on the paper you posted. Guns aren't idiot proof. I expected this to happen when I first read of Savage selling those muzzleloaders. I wish I'd have purchased one before they quit making them.

Guest jackdm3

So what we've learned so far on new loads:

1. Wear gloves

2. Full facial mask

3. If possible, strap it down in a rest and maybe not use your non-trigger hand.

4. Keep a bottle full of painkillers for such accidents. Or just for the Hell of it.

Guest BEARMAN

OMG!!! Dude probably will loose that appendage...if not, won't have much use in that hand!

Probably very lucky to be alive, in my estimation.

Either way, that's a very, very nasty looking wound.

Dang! To get that in an email 10 years later! ;)

He has had the gun for ten years. The accident happened in Oct 2009. Here is the story from the shooter.

Trent has owned the rifle for six years, and said that during that period, he had put between 200 and 300 rounds through his Model 10ML II, and has taken 7 deer with it. Following is his recollection of the day the rifle blew...

"On October 24th, 2009, I went to Broad Valley, Manitoba where I had purchased a hunting cabin with a couple of friends, to do some work on the cabin. And we thought we would get in a hunt that afternoon and the next morning. I had not sighted my muzzleloader this year, so went to a pit south of town to do so. I loaded the gun with 42.5 grains of IMR 4759 powder, using a 250 grain Barnes bullet. One of my buddies suggested I shoot over the hood of his truck, but I did not have ear protection, so decided to shoot off of a canvas duffle bag full of clothes. First shot was my last shot - as there was a large explosion...with my hand under the barrel on the forestock. The barrel and forestock blew apart (per pictures), and some part of the gun blew off and dented the door of the truck. My buddies took me to Hodgson General Hospital 20 minutes away. From there, I was transported by ambulance to Winnipeg Health Science Center 2 hours away, where I underwent 6 hours of surgery. Doctors expect 2-3 more surgeries, and I will be off work for 6 months to a year.

I am in the middle of building my house and have now had to hire trades to finish the work that I was doing. And I've begun occupational therapy twice a week. The skin flap that was transferred to my thumb has been determined to be non-viable, and will have to be removed and re-done."

Trent Procter

Manitoba, Canada

Guest 10mm4me

Savage also sells a ML10 that is exactly like the smokeless version but uses black powder only. This guy either did that, overcharged, or double charged his weapon. No way he correctly charged this rifle and it did that. I would bet everything I own this was user error. I have seen this pic b4 a while back and had many discussions w/guys who swear by this rifle. This guy is just an unfortunate moron.

Savage also sells a ML10 that is exactly like the smokeless version but uses black powder only. This guy either did that, overcharged, or double charged his weapon. No way he correctly charged this rifle and it did that. I would bet everything I own this was user error. I have seen this pic b4 a while back and had many discussions w/guys who swear by this rifle. This guy is just an unfortunate moron.
It appears that the same thing has happened at least a half dozen times with the same rifle. The guy may be a moron, or he may have bought a product that was not properly designed and it failed under normal use with catastrophic consequences. Just something to consider.
Guest 10mm4me

The thing with black powder versus smokeless, and I am sure many of you on here are reloaders, is that you can't always use a smokless equivalent in these rifles, you can use a certain grain weight of one smokless powder and it be a greater charge than another. It all has to do with volume. So yes, with these rifles you really have to know what you are doing and I would say that these rifles are more dangerous than typical muzzleloaders for that very reason. However, there is just no way Savage is putting out mettalurgically inferior gun barrels. Why aren't their 110 barrels exploding? I have shot one of these and I would not hesitate to do so again. And above said this has happened 6 times out of how many thousands of these rifles are out there. Def sounds like people just do not know how to handle these. Maybe Savage should create a a chart w/pop smokeless powders and approved charges.