TGO USPSA / IDPA Squads?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot IDPA at my home club in Cleveland (chrpc.com) we shoot on the 3rd Sat at 10:00 every month. In Oak Ridge at ORSA they shoot on the 1st Sat. at 9:00. The guys over at midtnshooters.com have a wide variety of matches including 3 sanctioned matches each season. If any of you guys want to shoot as a squad I'll be happy to do the SO bit and shoot with you any time. If you are new to the game don't worry you will get plenty of instruction on the rules etc., we focus on SAFETY first!, if you can handle that you will be made most welcome. Please don't feel intimidated to come out and shoot competition, we have shooters of all skill levels, and even the very best shooters shot their first match at some point. If you can't tell, I'm addicted to action pistol sports of any sort,IDPA, IPSC, 3-gun, whatever you call it is FUN! Give it a try if you haven't already, trust me plinking at coke cans will never be the same again. I would suggest IDPA as a great game to start with, the courses of fire are shorter and less dynamic than IPSC, if you will go to IDPA's web site you can download a copy of the rules to look over before your first match, I would recomend you all do that. Let me know what club in east TN you guys want to start at and I'll do my best to be there, I'm in.

Robin McKinney:woohoo:

Guest Mugster

Count me in on a mid tn. squad. I've never shot a practical event like that, but it looks like fun. I could do triple gun as well. Well, at least I have the guns anyway. :D

I would be more than happy to help you all form teams for the upper mid-Tenn area. I am an officer for MCTS and Gallatin Gun Club. I am also a member of NTPS in Dickson. Teams are no problem, When you show up, just tell the match director you want to shoot as a team. A Range officer will be placed with you to run the show.

fees for the non-club member of the host club run from $15-$20 per match, second guns can run for $5. MCTS has open membership, $30 per year for dues and $10 per match, Gallatin gun membership is closed, it runs $15 to shoot on IDPA Saturdays. The Dickson USPSA club is open for membership, $50 per year and $20 for members to shoot, $25 for non-members. Most clubs require a NRA membership also.

Any of you guys that want to try out action pistol around east TN I'll get on a squad with you and help out any beginners in any way I can. I usually shoot IDPA, IPSC and steel challenge at ORSA.

• Administrator

For you middle TN guys who want to try it out...

The North Tennessee Practical Shooters club hosts their next match on January 12th and 13th out in Dickson. If I could get a count of who wants to participate, I would be willing to contact them, explain that it consists of some folks who are new to the sport and ask that we be squadded together.

At the minimum you would need:

• Money for entrance fee
  • Automatic handgun and ammo
  • Holster
  • Spare magazines (4 spare minimum)
  • Eye and ear protection

If it's your first time there, you really won't want to worry too much about what division you shoot in. Automatics (9mm and .40SW) would probably be best served if they shot in Production class. Production limits the round count to 10 rounds per magazine, so if all you have is the old post-ban civilian style mags, you're safe. If you have high-cap mags, you'll just load them to 10 rounds.

1911s would shoot in the Single Stack class. Only 1911s can shoot single stack, so guns like the SIG 220 would be forced to shoot Production or another division.

Don't show up with a tricked out "race gun" or you will end up in a class with people who can totally out-shoot you. Seriously. :doh:

Optionally you're going to want a good means of carrying your spare magazines. Pants pockets work but are painfully slow. I'd recommend that you pick up some dual-mag magazine pouches for your belt. At least two of them since you want to carry a minimum of four extra mags of ammo.

Also visit these sites and do some reading!

The rules and regs are daunting to read in one setting, so don't sweat it if you read that and think "What the hell?". Just familiarize yourself with the basics and know that when you show up to your first match, as long as you let the Range Safety Officers know that it is your first time, they will walk you through it step by step in a very safe, slow manner.

USPSA is definitely not a spectator sport. It's fun to watch, but you learn fast if you just jump in and enjoy it!