TGO USPSA / IDPA Squads?

Guest flyfishtn

Tungsten,

No ported barrels in Production Class (that is what my XD .40 has) so I will have to shoot my XD .45 ACP.

I would be in. I can join IDPA/USPSA, no problem. Good to support the industry and the sport.

I am in for Middle TN for January! :up:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would enjoy to, but:

1. Age. I'm 15. Is there a Junior Division?

2. I don;t have an automatic handgun.

3. I probably wouldn't have 5 magazines for that pistol even if I had one.

Guest Mugster

Hey Tungston, I'm in for the trip. I might just watch and not shoot the first time. But I'll bring all my stuff, and if it looks safe and well run to me and I'm not a liability, I'll shoot.

I think I'd be more interested in IDPA or triple gun, based on what I've read and seen described online...but i'll give anything a shot once.

Hey Tungston, I'm in for the trip. I might just watch and not shoot the first time. But I'll bring all my stuff, and if it looks safe and well run to me and I'm not a liability, I'll shoot.

I think I'd be more interested in IDPA or triple gun, based on what I've read and seen described online...but i'll give anything a shot once.

Personally, I've never been to a match that wasn't well run and safe. Safety is always first and foremost.

Hey guys,

Check out the ORSAIDPA.COM site and then click on forums. Mark Dye will possibly be offering a competition class in the very near future. His class will be for the beginning shooter up to "c" class in USPSA. Mark is a Master class shooter and will probably have help from a couple of other M/GM shooters. Check it out.....

DaG

Yikes! $25 for non-members and only four stages? They are a little greedy, but first-time shooters shoot free. Hmmm...would be interesting to shoot some USPSA for the first time, as well as meet some of you guys.

http://www.ntps.org/clubinfo.htm

Four stages plus a classifier stage. Round count is usually 125 to 135.

Greedy? Land use costs, range equipment, targets, insurance, website, etc.

Expensive hobby, but very much worth it. Come check it out, we'll make you feel right at home.

If you want to check it out and get a little practice in, we setup on the first Saturday of the month with matches on the second Saturday and Sunday.

After setup the range is open for practice.

Did I mention that our stages are known for being championship caliber?

Fun and challenging.

Four stages plus a classifier stage. Round count is usually 125 to 135.

Greedy? Land use costs, range equipment, targets, insurance, website, etc.

Expensive hobby, but very much worth it. Come check it out, we'll make you feel right at home.

If you want to check it out and get a little practice in, we setup on the first Saturday of the month with matches on the second Saturday and Sunday.

After setup the range is open for practice.

Did I mention that our stages are known for being championship caliber?

Fun and challenging.

I wasn't trying to knock ya, but our local IDPA matches are $10 for six stages, and then you can stay and re-shoot the whole match for free. We may be more fortunate that we are part of an already-established club/range, and our costs are therefore lower. My apologies. $25 is just higher than any other match I've ever heard of (except sanctioned matches).

Hey guys,

Check out the ORSAIDPA.COM site and then click on forums. Mark Dye will possibly be offering a competition class in the very near future. His class will be for the beginning shooter up to "c" class in USPSA. Mark is a Master class shooter and will probably have help from a couple of other M/GM shooters. Check it out.....

DaG

Keeping an eye on that thread. I'm interested in the possibility of getting a lesson before shooting an actual match.

It will give me a chance to sort of see ORSA as well, since I'm thinking about joining next year now that I have some rifles that need to stretch there legs every once in a while.

Is this 3-gun, or just pistol? I guess it doesn't really matter since all I have are 6 revolvers and a levergun anymore... dang finances!

I'd definitely be in for showing up for this and giving it a try, except that I don't have the right guns. If I brought a bunch of boxes of Winchester white box 9mm, would anyone let me have a run with their gun? If it's 3 gun, I have a bunch of Federal 12g Field & Range shells if someone would let me borrow a shotty, too. I sold the last of my 223 at the meet, eat, and shoot at Dave's.

So you guys that have done this before, am I just up poop creek w/a a paddle? If so, that's OK. I still may come to see what goes on, and then shoot later when I have the right guns.

Fellas, I've been looking over the rules, there's even rules that deal with your clothing? Especially when it comes to BDUs? What if I'm comfortable wearing BDUs?

I would like to as well for the Mid TN, but I would like a block of instruction before going out there and looking like a fool. Pretty strict rules & requirements..

I wasn't trying to knock ya, but our local IDPA matches are $10 for six stages, and then you can stay and re-shoot the whole match for free. We may be more fortunate that we are part of an already-established club/range, and our costs are therefore lower. My apologies. $25 is just higher than any other match I've ever heard of (except sanctioned matches).

No worries, I didn't take it as a knock on myself or NTPS.

Clubs that use established ranges are sometimes able to charge less, but the draw back is not having a dedicated range. Our range is used solely for NTPS, USPSA matches and that is how we can build some very cool stages. But, as you said, we do have to charge a little more.

Fellas, I've been looking over the rules, there's even rules that deal with your clothing? Especially when it comes to BDUs? What if I'm comfortable wearing BDUs?

I would like to as well for the Mid TN, but I would like a block of instruction before going out there and looking like a fool. Pretty strict rules & requirements..

The strict rules & requirements are to keep the sport safe. USPSA has an excellent safety record and strict rules keep it so.

Don't worry about looking like a fool, you won't. New shooters are always coached by more experienced shooters. RO's will remind you to not try and shoot as fast as an experienced shooter. Just have fun and get to know the rules and learn the game.

Guest Jason F.

I would be interested in trying this out as well in the Middle Tn area. I have a 1911 clone that would be legal for single stack but close to 200 rounds of 45 adds up fast especially if you participate often enough to practice and improve. I have not been shooting enough lately and would love to improve some.

I have been looking for something in 9mm that would be a little cheaper to shoot at the range. Budget has just kept is slightly out of reach.

What are some of the common guns used in the different classes?

In Single Stack Div. your 1911 clone is what you need, but it does not have to be a .45. 9mm, 38 super and .40 are also available to you. As long as it's a single stack and does not have a light rail you should be fine.

In Production Division you see a wide range with Glocks being pretty popular, but losing ground quickly to S&W's M&P 9mm and Springfields XD's. I personally shoot a Beretta 92G Elite.

Limited and Limited 10 Divisions are pretty much dominated by STI and SV 1911 variants. Open is mostly 2011's made by a number of custom shops.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Count me in. Now the question is which gun to use....

1911, M&P 45, or the Beretta 92FS?

Ill have to pick up a couple more magazines for whichever I decide on. Anyone want to offer an opinion on which gun to use?

Count me in. Now the question is which gun to use....

1911, M&P 45, or the Beretta 92FS?

Ill have to pick up a couple more magazines for whichever I decide on. Anyone want to offer an opinion on which gun to use?

You have three options. Production with the Beretta, Single stack with the 1911 and with the M&P .45 you could go Limited 10 or Production.

Me personally, I'd go with the Beretta.

For you middle TN guys who want to try it out...

The North Tennessee Practical Shooters club hosts their next match on January 12th and 13th out in Dickson....

....USPSA is definitely not a spectator sport. It's fun to watch, but you learn fast if you just jump in and enjoy it!

I'd be up for that... count me in.