Shooting pests (Squirrel, Rabbit, Etc) in Knoxville with an airgun?

Guest (BH)

So I have some serious rabbits and sqirrels on my property and it's gardening time. I know you can't shoot most birds, but what about squirrels and rabbits?

When I lived in MS the squirrels were absurdly obsessed and skilled with garden infiltration and demolition, so I expect the same will happen here. This is my first garden in TN and I've put a ton of work into this one so far. I'll be employing some other preventative tactics to keep them out, but as any of you other gardeners understand, small mammals can be garden terrorists. I had a buddy tell me that he thought it was illegal to shoot airguns in city limits (what has this world come too?), is this true?

I had never really thought about it before, but now I'm wondering if there could be any issues with dispatching a few bushy tail Osama's. I'm in K-Town city limits and I'd just be using an air rifle. Does anybody know anything about this one?

Also, I've not dealt with rabbits much in past, and believe you me, there are more cottontails in this neighborhood than I've ever seen in my life. I was thinking 2" tall perimeter fence would probably be a good start, any other suggestions or tips?

ETA: I have a buddy who does alot of work with fur and such who would be more than glad to take the remains from me, so they'd even being going to good use.

Edited by (BH)
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about K-ville but where I live you can not shoot anything inside city limits.

Also, in Tenn. you can not legally kill anything there is not a current hunting season open on. If you were to get caught shooting animals out of season you could be charged with poaching, not to mention no license, discharging weapon inside city limits etc.

You might want to look into some non lethal traps to catch the little critters then carry them far away from your property.

Guest Bluemax

Not that I would advocate anything illegal but as I'm sure you know an airgun makes no sound when fired. Who's to say if a squirrel just fell over in your yard that maybe he smoked/drank to much and had a heart attack :hiding:

• Admin Team
Not that I would advocate anything illegal but as I'm sure you know an airgun makes no sound when fired.

Man, not my airgun. The Crosman 760 Pumpmaster I had as a kid was relatively quiet, but some of today's offerings are hard to differentiate from their real steel counterparts. I've got a GAMO -something- that not only is the report from the weapon loud, so is the sonic crack of the pellet going downrange.

Guest jackdm3

My FIL is in Hernando, MS and has a small garden as well as a decent 40X60 crop area, and he says that law allows him to kill rabbit or deer out of season when they attack his food. You situation is similar but on a smaller scale. Check deeper to see what is allowed without bringing attention to your address.

My RWS Diana .177 is around 1200 fps, and it picks up where the Aguila Super Colibres leave off. Those are .22s with no powder and no noise with conical-shaped noses. You just have to use them in non-semi-autos because there isn't any powder in them to cycle your auto. Have fun.

Growing up, I planted a large number of squirrels with a Crossman air rifle and then .22 CB's. In the city, in a subdivision. Our house backed up to a wooded area so there was a good backstop.

Depending on your proximity to other houses and how noisy your rifle is, I wouldn't sweat it. There's plenty of squirrels to go around.

That isn't possible in our current house. We have more rabbits than squirrels so I put a 24" high chicken wire fence around our small garden. It appears to work fine.

And yes, an outdoor cat also works well.

And yes, an outdoor cat also works well.

If you don't mind the gifts the cats leave for their masters :).

We have 4 cats, all go outside at some point. With that everyday we have some sort of present left in front of the door. The biggest is a rabbit so far but they have left many other things through the years. I didn't think we had flying squirrels around anymore but last year the cats left a few for us.

I have even had one cat who tried to attack and run off a racoon.

Dolomite

My RWS Diana .177 is around 1200 fps, and it picks up where the Aguila Super Colibres leave off. Those are .22s with no powder and no noise with conical-shaped noses. You just have to use them in non-semi-autos because there isn't any powder in them to cycle your auto. Have fun.

Ditto, I have the same air gun. It's a super sonic pellet and makes a noticable "crack". I just bought some of the Aguila's and am shocked how quiet they are. However, there is noticable bullet drop at 50 yards compared to the Diana.

:) for the cat might even fertilize the garden a little :D A 750 fps .177 cal pump air rifle with scope will dispatch the critters quite well and not as noisy as the more powerful break action air rifles . But I like the latest offerings from Gamo great rifles very accurate but a little pricey. Edited by Mad_Squirrell
content
But I like the latest offerings from Gamo great rifles very accurate but a little pricey.

Gamo Rifles are awesome. I have a Whisper that I'd be using for pest control. I must say it's a pretty burly airgun.

according to knoxville law, you cannot fire anything air powered within the city of knoxville. no bb guns, airguns, let along a pistol....heaven forbid it might offend someone. I was looking at getting one of those red ryder bb guns to shoot in my yard and after some research (on this forum and elsewhere) it was brought to my attention the do's and don'ts. IANAL, but I would be verwee careful Elmer......

Also, in Tenn. you can not legally kill anything there is not a current hunting season open on. If you were to get caught shooting animals out of season you could be charged with poaching, not to mention no license, discharging weapon inside city limits etc.

From the Tennessee Code Annotated, via Michie's:

70-4-115. Destruction and disposal of wildlife — Permit — Penalty. —

(a) The owner of lands may destroy any wild animals, wild birds, or wild fowl when such wild animals, wild birds, or wild fowl are destroying property upon such lands. Any person, before destroying any big game under the conditions provided for in this section, is required to obtain a permit for destroying such big game. Such permit shall be issued by an officer of the wildlife resources agency.

IANAL and this is not legal advice but I'd say that "any wild animals" covers rabbits and squirrels and that tearing up a garden, plants, etc. in your yard would equate to "destroying property upon such lands". Also, since rabbits and squirrels are not big game, I wouldn't think that a permit would even be required. No mention is made of 'seasons' or 'licenses'. Just my opinion, though.

No idea about the legality of firing an air rifle inside Knoxville city limits. I guess the OP could always pick up a good slingshot and work on a new [survival] skill.

Edited by JAB