Shipping a Handgun through UPS...

Guest Boogieman

Guest Boogieman

Does anyone know the details about the legality of shipping a Handgun through UPS to a non FFL holder? I've had an inquiry about if I would ship a gun I am selling and would like some detail before I go calling UPS and all. Is it legal to do this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

• Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
  • UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
  • UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
  • Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
  • Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
  • UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

1.gifFollow These Packing Requirements

• Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
  • Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
  • Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.
  • All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Medium and large UPS boxes may be used for smaller shipments being shipped via UPS Express service.
  • All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.

1.gifAbout Documentation and Labeling

• The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
  • The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not describe the contents. Labeling must be non-descript including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document.

1.gifGetting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

• You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
  • When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
  • You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
  • See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

1.gif

Looks to be fine. As long as its in state between two adults not prohibited.

1.gif

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Edited by gotigers
  • 4 weeks later...

Just stopped by a UPS store today, said I needed to ship an unloaded hangun within the state. The first store I talked was certain that it had to go through an FFL. The second store said it was fine as long as I took it to the UPS hub for shipping. I'm gonna check out their website, and the Fedex website, and go with whichever one is friendlier to the process.

Federal law allows you to ship to a TN resident.

UPS policy allows you to ship to a TN resident.

However, everything I have read (from other people's experiences) is that UPS will not accept a firearm for shipment, unless it is going to a FFL.

^ This. However, i have boxed up and shipped items before. Box it print label online and drop it off at a pick up location. Never had a problem that way .... in state that is.

Guest bkelm18
^ This. However, i have boxed up and shipped items before. Box it print label online and drop it off at a pick up location. Never had a problem that way .... in state that is.

True... however you're required by federal law to inform them that the shipment contains a firearm.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

The second store said it was fine as long as I took it to the UPS hub for shipping.

This was my experience also. Not all the UPS store franchises carry the firearm shipper liability coverage and will balk. The hubs do it all but it ain't cheap.

I'm also interested if they allow shiment interstate to non FFL and what they charge. Please update. :cool:

This was my experience also. Not all the UPS store franchises carry the firearm shipper liability coverage and will balk. The hubs do it all but it ain't cheap.

I'm also interested if they allow shiment interstate to non FFL and what they charge. Please update. :cool:

None in Nashville will and since they can't ship it overnight in state (most cases) they refuse. I've shipped "machined parts" in one package dissembled and the firing pin separate. I know it's borderline, but it gets it done.

Seems they are putting information on the website but directly telling people something different. Strange and inconsistent, that is not like our gover,err, wait seems everything is working just like a well oiled Gulf of Mexico

Key Words with UPS:

STORE

HUB

"STORES" are a no go

HUBS and Places that have daily pickups (aside from thier STORES) are a GO.

I've shipped a long gun through a UPS Store (to an FFL).

Get a UPS account (free) so you can pre print labels.

Package it up, put label on it, drop it off, no questions asked, and no acknowledgment of contents required.

Perfectly legal as per federal law.

Actually, shipping handguns to FFL is also perfectly legal, and federal law doesn't require them to be overnighted.

That is UPS policy.You can ignore it, but of course should gun be lost, UPS wouldn't pay the claim if it weren't done according to their rules.

- OS

Yeah the guy at the first store I went to was adament that it had to go both through, and to, a licensed FFL. Even after I told him it wasn't any kind of purchase or sale, or that it was in state, or that the key word in FFL was federal, so that it didn't apply being kept within the state.

My plan is to print off the UPS website page that says I can do it before I go to the hub so I can show it to them if they try to tell me they can't legally do it and the trip isn't a waste.

Yeah the guy at the first store I went to was adament that it had to go both through, and to, a licensed FFL. Even after I told him it wasn't any kind of purchase or sale, or that it was in state, or that the key word in FFL was federal, so that it didn't apply being kept within the state.

My plan is to print off the UPS website page that says I can do it before I go to the hub so I can show it to them if they try to tell me they can't legally do it and the trip isn't a waste.

I've tried that and even went so far to get the corporate legal consultant and basically they will back up the counter person every time. i was told that ultimately the counter person has the right to deny any shipment and will be supported by the company. I did get them to admit that they were inconsistent and that their policies were not inline with Federal law, but it made no difference. I will say they were very nice, sympathetic, and understanding so i can't really complain as far as that goes. I know just comply with Federal law and ignore their policies.:)

Ok, got it shipped. Got a little extra insurance on it for obvious reasons. The people at the hub gave me a little trouble at first, but they said they were told by their manager that any firearm shipment had to go to an FFL. They called, and said it would be okay to ship within state to a non-FFL. The woman there was very apologetic about giving me a hard time, and very helpful after finding out that she could in fact ship it. It does have to go next day air though, ran me about $40 after all was said and done, and that was with them giving me the free boxes and bubble wrap from under the conveyor belt. I've since heard that Fed Ex is better to use for firearm shipments and cheaper. What I found really amusing is that the UPS hub off Whites Creek has a circle with a handgun and a slash in the middle that says firearms prohibited on the door. All in all the woman was very helpful once we got the ball rolling, and it seems that the fault is really with UPS and communication issues concerning their own policies. I did bring the page from their website that said the shipment would be okay, so that probably helped.

.... I've since heard that Fed Ex is better to use for firearm shipments and cheaper. ...

Best of luck with THAT.

Their Express handgun terms have NO provision for individual to individual shipping.

At all.

Cannot ship handguns AT ALL via FedEx Ground.

Don't think they allow individual to individual long gun shipments either, would have to read up, not sure.

Although USPS allows THAT, oddly enough.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Ok, it's entirely possible my source (coworker) about Fed Ex has only used them for long guns. I had forgotten to try DHL, I need to remember to check their website and see if they're any firearm friendlier the next time I need to ship one. Can't ship handguns via UPS ground at all either. Has to be next day air, and that brings up the price tag that's for sure.