IF I wanted a Remington 700

JeffsSig

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ae-35

I got an old ( 25 years ) BDL in 270, with my hand-loads, a real track-driver, puts all the venison on the table I want. Don't think the new ones I've seen, are near the same quality of fit and finish. JMO.

I had an SPS Tactical in .308. It was a fantastic rifle. 20" barrel, Houge Overmolded stock. It's ultimately going to depend on what caliber you want and what the purpose is.
Police LTR in .308.

Always thought those two were basically the same rifle with a big price difference...i'm most likely wrong, there could always be variations in bedding and quality of barrels that i'm not aware of. What do you think MacGyver? The sps tactical has a threaded barrel option now. If I did have deep pockets I may go with the xcr tactical, just because I think it looks cool. I'm by no means an expert or armchair expert for that matter. Heres the xcr tactical, they used to have a short barreled option as well. Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Always thought those two were basically the same rifle with a big price difference...i'm most likely wrong, there could always be variations in bedding and quality of barrels that i'm not aware of.

The SPS Tac. has a Hogue overmold stock which is junk IMO. The LTR comes with a HS Precision stock. The LTR also has a fluted barrel.

I bought a cheap, used ADL in .270. Remington synthetic stock with their cheesey recoil pad. I added a good Pachmayr pad, a Jewell trigger, and some decent glass. It's as accurate as my Browning X-bolt in .243.

The Jewell trigger is a work of art.

I have a few BDL's and they are fantastic guns. All are great shooters and I had very little trouble getting MOA groups out of them.

FWIW, I will add that I just picked up a TC Icon in 308, and I am completely impressed. By far the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever owned using factory ammo. I'm getting MOA with remington core lokts and I can only imagine what I will get once I start the handloading process.

Guest mikedwood
Maybe mine is the CDL then. I have the cheesey one.

The ADL is the cheaper one without a mag. You load it and unload it through the chamber. It just looks like an old hunting rifle my uncle would have. Actually it looks like every old hunting rifle my uncle has, but I freaking love it just like it is.

The ADL is the cheaper one without a mag. You load it and unload it through the chamber. It just looks like an old hunting rifle my uncle would have. Actually it looks like every old hunting rifle my uncle has, but I freaking love it just like it is.

Then, I have an ADL with the plastic stock. I don't mind it so much on a bolt gun. My Browning has a real cool removable mag, but I like shooting the 700 about as well, especially with the 1lb trigger.

I have several 700's all in .308

I have the LTR (20inch)the SPS tact(20inch), the SPS Varmint (26inch), a PSS (24inch) (Police Sniper System) and one that is a 700 M40A1 spec clone (Custom)

cliff note version: get the SPS Varmint, cut the barrel if you want, and get a used HS or McMillan stock = shoot MOA or better ;)

The long version :blush:

For the money the SPS varmint is hard to beat. Yes, the stock is crap but you and find a used Mcmillan or HS stock and fix that problem.

Out of the box they will all shoot great IMO. The LTR is one of my favs becuase of the fluted barrel. Not only does it save weight but it comes with a HS lightweight tactical stock. The vented barrel also seems to flex less and makes the rifle feel like there is as much recoil. The LRT does cost more up front so it may not be worth it to you.

If you are looking for a rifle to modify a bit and dont mind a barrel longer than 20-inches get the SPS Varmint and mod it is you want. Replace the stock and have the barrel cut where you ant it and it should be a sub MOA gun.

If you want good rifle out of the box and dont want to do anything to it... look at the 700P, LTR in the Remington,s and dont count out the Savage rifles. Savage has some nice out of the boxe rifles as well IMO.

Best of luck

• Admin Team

The stock on the LTR is great. Much better than the overmolded Hogue's. I like other hogue products, just not that stock.

My LTR is a 20" barrel that I had Joe's rifle smith thread and make a thread protector for.

A lot of people like the 20" barrel on the LTR as opposed to the 26" barrel on the regular 700P because it's a bit stiffer.

Jeff:___________

Saw this thread late. I have never seen a "bad" Remington 700. The great Remington 40X target gun is just a "slicked up" model 700. Every one i have had were great shooters. If they dont shoot close enough to suit ya; just glass bed the action and free float the barrel. You will be pleasently surprised by the results.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Hey guys! I have a 700CDL 7mmUM and it is the berries!! I had a 3# trigger job done and had it Pillar bedded and floated and it is a tack driver. Love the shiracco 150 grains in it!! The recoil is smooth, too, with the heavy wood stock. Only downfall is that it averages out to be close to $3 a shot for factory loads!! But I LOVE this rifle. I put a swarovski ballistic recticle 3-10X 40 on it and would ask for nothing else on a long range shooter!

If I wanted a Remington 700....

What one should I buy?

What ones should I avoid? (if any)

I see they have many models to pick from

One you could trade for a model 70 Winchester.:stunned: Seriously, if you are hung up on Remington, I'd look closely at the model 7. They are light and great handling. If they still make it, a 700 mountain rifle makes a very trim and attractive rifle.

I wanted mine for long range target shooting (1000 yards, although I have not got to shoot it past 300 yet). I went with the 700 VLS in .308.

I wanted the 26” heavy barrel and a wood stock. It’s topped with a Leupold 6.5X20X40 LR Scope.

I’m not impressed with plastic or laminate wood. I would like to find one of the old beautiful walnut stocks to fit mine but haven’t had any luck because of the heavy barrel.