don't laugh but this should pass the Shooting part of HCP right?

Been shooting at a B-27 at 15 yards yesterday with the pistol I plan to test with.

I did about 150 rounds, I know I am not a Marksman with a pistol like most everyone here. I still say for Marksman ship give me a rifle but I feel the B-27 would not have been a threat after I was down.

Let me know any reason this would not pass?

I am going to get this out now, the FAR Left out side the 7, Dad did that as a very first shot, as soon as we got set up, the only shot he took.

The very far Right outside the 7, well, I knew it when I did it, I pulled off bad. The rest was all me, no excuses.

DSCI0162.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add, I was using a 35 year old 22 Ruger, notice the thing is as old as me. I am going to buy a new one for a target practice gun when I have the extra money soon, and I have a 38 speical for carry when I get my HCP.

cool, the guy i am going to take the class with loves to show a target with the center destoried but I tell myself, he owns a gun store, probably shoots every other day.

Myself, I shot rifles from 5 to 18, went to college, barely shoot anything from 18 to 34, for the past year I have been off and on shooting Dad's pistol getting ready.

Truth be told, I have only had time to go about 5 times or so to practice. I plan to get in at least 2 more practice sessions before the class.

When I picked up his pistol last year, I had to get used to it's safety, how all the features work on it, as it is a mark one, the chamber closes after the last round, etc.

Now, I feel good with his, but I want my own Mark 3 now.

Guest Jamie

So what is the test like for a carry permit these days?

It's been so long since I took it, and the qualification course for the S.O., that the two sort of run together in my mind now.

Also, Vontar, the age of the gun doesn't make any difference if it's in good shape and shoots properly. Matter of fact, one of the most accurate guns I ever fired was around 100 years old at the time. It was a Swedish Mauser that was made in the mid 1890s.

J.

Remember, many of the qualifying shots for the HCP are taken at a lesser distance than 15 yards. I forget exactly what the requirements are but if this is an example of your skills at 15 yards you should have no problem with qualification for the HCP.

oldogy

I looked up the distances, 3 yards, 7 yards and 15 yards.

I had practices the most about 7-10 over the past year before I knew, so the past couple times I went I mostly shot at 15 yards. Not yesterday but the time before I pulled in to 3 yards and 7 yards and well i felt I was close I only used 6 rounds at 3 yards and 12 at 7, I did good at those short shots. I was more concerned at 15 yards which this whole target was.

Guest TargetShooter84

You failed.

Just kidding.

I remeber mine was that as long as most of your bullets are inside the black portion, you'll be fine.

According to other posts on this topic, which I'm too lazy to link, if you land 100% of your shots from 3 and 7 yards, you can miss all your shots at 15 and still qualify. Judging by your target, it will be a breeze for you. Congrats on your future HCP!

You'll do fine vontar. :stunned:

If I remember correctly if you hit all your shots from 3 & 7 yards you have enough to pass before you even get to 15.

If that target is all at 15 yards you have nothing to worry about.

When you get your carry weapon practice, practice, practice until you can get a tight group in the ten ring at 7 yards.

Most actual instances of exchange of gunfire in self defense scenarios happens, on average, inside 15 ft if I'm not mistaken.

So if you can put tight groups where you want them at 7 yards you'll be better prepared to hit what you need to with the target moving and the adrenaline pumping!

Guest Jamie
I looked up the distances, 3 yards, 7 yards and 15 yards.

Sheesh, it's gotten much easier then.

I know for a fact I had to shoot at distances ranging from 5 yards all the way out to 25.

I can't remember how many rounds were fired at each individual distance, but it was at several places between the two. Unlike the LE course, we weren't required to shoot with our weak hand, or with only one hand.

J.

Guest yzfMrLee

According to my instructor, it's 2 points off out of 100 for every shot that doesn't land in the black. It's really easy. You'll do fine judging by your pic.

You can stand back and throw the shells through the target and pass. There were guys who took forever to shoot a 6 round string and they ripped one ragged hole......... how many think you will have that kinda time if you need to use your gun.

According to my instructor, it's 2 points off out of 100 for every shot that doesn't land in the black. It's really easy. You'll do fine judging by your pic.

Well, the requirements actually don't compute, period.

You shoot 48 rounds and need 70%.

That means you need 33.6 hits.

I guess the .6 could be one that is pretty close.

- OS

When I took my class a few weeks ago it was:

3 yards - 12 rounds

7 yards - 18 rounds

15 yards - 18 rounds

For a total of 48 rounds.

12 rounds at each of those distances

Last 12 rounds is at instructor's choice.

- OS

When I took my class a few weeks ago it was:

3 yards - 12 rounds

7 yards - 18 rounds

15 yards - 18 rounds

For a total of 48 rounds.

I like seeing the break down. I knew it was 48 shots. I knew I was actually allowed to miss quite a few. I don't want to miss any during the test. A year ago when I first decided to take the class, I was a bit cocky when the instructer talked about every class he awards a engraved 50 cal bullet prize for best shooter, I joked I would get it. Now, a year later after spending some time with the pistol, I feel I will hit my target but I will probably be up against better marksman/women, and I am ok with that.

Right now, I will be happy to step up to the mark, put 48 in the black, hopefully all inside the 8 ring or better :stunned:. I don't want to just pass, I want to do the best I can.

I like seeing the break down. I knew it was 48 shots. I knew I was actually allowed to miss quite a few. I don't want to miss any during the test. A year ago when I first decided to take the class, I was a bit cocky when the instructer talked about every class he awards a engraved 50 cal bullet prize for best shooter, I joked I would get it. Now, a year later after spending some time with the pistol, I feel I will hit my target but I will probably be up against better marksman/women, and I am ok with that.

Right now, I will be happy to step up to the mark, put 48 in the black, hopefully all inside the 8 ring or better :D. I don't want to just pass, I want to do the best I can.

I am sure you will do fine.

My wife and I took ours together, we both shot 100%, but I have to admit she had a tighter group than I did. I was very proud of her.

They way we shot was 10 shots at 3 yards, 10 yards, 15 yards, back to 10 and then back to 3 for a total of 50.

To be honest, and I really don't mean anything to anyone but you can almost shoot this with closed eyes and still qualify. In my class there were probably 15 people that rented guns and shot for one of their very first times. They never hit the center of the target but still qualified with no problem.

Mark

So what is the test like for a carry permit these days?

It's been so long since I took it, and the qualification course for the S.O., that the two sort of run together in my mind now.

Also, Vontar, the age of the gun doesn't make any difference if it's in good shape and shoots properly. Matter of fact, one of the most accurate guns I ever fired was around 100 years old at the time. It was a Swedish Mauser that was made in the mid 1890s.

J.

It varies. Mine was 12 rounds each at 4 ranges. I believe the max range was 25 yds. You just gotta get 70% (I think) in the black.

I shot 100% on mine, but it's a BIG target

EDIT: Yep, shot mine with a 30 year old Model 59.

Edited by mikegideon
Sheesh, it's gotten much easier then.

I know for a fact I had to shoot at distances ranging from 5 yards all the way out to 25.

I can't remember how many rounds were fired at each individual distance, but it was at several places between the two. Unlike the LE course, we weren't required to shoot with our weak hand, or with only one hand.

J.

Took mine in '97 and it seems like the 3, 7 and 15 is what we did, but I'm not 100% sure.

I do remember for the 12 rounds of instructors choice it was 6 rounds with your weak hand at the two closest lines.