Guns & Ammo, Memphis

• Moderators

In the past I have been one to denigrate this store loudly because of their poor customer service and generally lousy attitude. However I went in the other day twice and had good experiences both times.

1st was to see if they had an AR stock wrench. Every time I got close to a counter I was asked if I needed help by a different employee. I declined assistance. On the third time (after I found what I wanted) I was helped by an older grey haired gentleman who held the stock wrench by the register until I finished browsing. He was very polite, professional and friendly.

The second time that day I was there, a friend of mine was looking for a 1911 so we went to a couple of shops G&A being one of them. A different grey haired gentleman, who was 70 if he was a day, helped us and was very professional and personable. He went over the different features of the guns we looked at and made recommendations bases on feature sets that my friend was looking for as opposed to brand alone.

Overall I had two very enjoyable experiences there on one day. I've often been the first to loudly knock them for what they do wrong. But in the interest of fairness, I have to say that G&A did everything right when I was there on Tuesday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

I have had both experiences, there was an old guy in there, with a revolver strapped to him, helped me one day, very nice guy.

How much was that wrench? Is it a Castle Wrench?

• Moderators
I think that they have heard about what people say about them and they have decided to change their ways. Did you see a competitors ads in the newspaper the last few weeks?

I agree and that can only be a good thing for Memphis. I know I don't want to have my choices limited by poor customer service.

I'm glad they've changed their ways if they have. I've probably purchased 5 or 6 guns there in the past. The last time I was there about 6 months ago (the first time in a couple of years), the salesman who helped me treated me pretty well and I ended up buying a gun. But while I was waiting on them to enter the BG check info and get a response, I watched one of the other salesmen treat another customer like a moron and the customer did nothing to deserve the treatment. I haven't been back since. The two older guys that work in there are usually really nice (the one that works on the wheel gun side is SUPER nice!).

The wheelgun guy is gtg. The big guy (I think his name is James) is always friendly and helpful. I have purchased 7 guns there in the last two years and I alway try to get him. The other guys treat you like crap and make me lose interest and leave when I might have purchased something. I can hardly go in that place without buying something. I hope the new attitude is a trend.

kb4ns, I told a friend of mine and a fellow glock lover about your signature and we both love it. Glocks are IT!

I've been in Guns and Ammo many times. I've bought several pistols and rifles from them. They've always been helpful and polite. I can see that their competitors may not share that opinion! I was there a few days ago needing a small part. The gunsmith gave it to me -no charge.

Guest truthsayer

ditto to the morbidly obeese guy and the old .357 toter. They're good people. Everyone else there is suspect and will go mall-ninja on you in no time.

Personally, the "can't stand this place" memories far outweigh the "that wasn't so bad" ones.

Almost 20 years ago, I bought the new wife a pocket Beretta for Christmas there. (Don't recommend that by the way. Another long story.) At the time, there was a 14 day waiting period and they had given me the owners manual for the .25 caliber I had originally paid for. After I paid for it, I called back and had them change it to the .22 but, still had the .25 caliber manual, all 4 pages of it. I patiently waited the 14 days and sped to get there on the day I could pick it up, December 23rd. They were closing up and I got in just before they locked the door. The guy at the counter was just about to hand over the gun when we realized that I still had the manual for the .25 and forgot to bring it! (At this point, I was only 22 years old and had already purchased 4 guns from them and knew Burt, the owner, and his right hand man, Bill, personally as I had been doing custom work on Burt's vehicle at my shop.) The guy at the counter called Burt over and told him what happened. Burt looked at me and said, "No manual, no gun!" and proceeded to walk off. I chased Burt through the store as he held up his hand for me to leave him alone and I explained over and over that this was a Christmas present for someone and they would be closed until after Christmas. I finally talked him in to letting me leave a $50 deposit for that 4 page manual so I could take the gun home. ($50 was a HUGE sum to a newly married 22 year old back then.)

After I returned the book and got my deposit back, I didn't go in there for 15 years and I really only go in there now when they are the only one that have something I want or it's just too convenient and I'm in a hurry. Most of the experiences have been OK since I've been back but, there is one guy behind the counter that just seems to have the same attitude I remember from Burt. I think his name is "Eddie" but, I could be wrong. The tall older gentleman has always been nice and helpful.

Maybe I've held that grudge tooooo long but, for a four page manual, there is no telling how much it cost them in what I've bought elsewhere and how many people I've told that story to and directed them elsewhere.

If there were somewhere in Memphis that I could walk into and buy new guns without waitng I would never step in that place again. I get jealous when I hear guys talking about their experiences at Hero Gear and other stores in that part of the state. I want a relationship with my dealer because I spend alot of money on guns and ammo.:P

Guest VolDaddy

I have had nothing but good help there. Richard is a very good AR guy and has a lot of experience. Larry is the olnly one I have ever delt with for Class III firearms (well used Hero Gear once too and they were also great). But I will admit the more you are there the better you will get treated. I just believe it take them awhile to remember people. All in all a great bunch of fellas.

i have never had a bad experience at g&a

one thing i find crazy though is they have a beef with the beratta/benelli group they will not buy anymore of those

i believe g&a on summer ave sell more pistols than any single store in tennessee and you will not be able to get a berreta there

If there were somewhere in Memphis that I could walk into and buy new guns without waitng I would never step in that place again.

This is a little self serving, but the store where I work is normally not busy.

Although, I will add that I haven't had too many negative experiences at G&A. The biggest issue is they are always very busy. I've bought a bunch of guns there over the years, although nothing recently.

Edited by robbiev

My experience with G&A seems to be a mix of the above. I've had good experiences with some of the staff, and some that left a lot to be desired. The two guys who work over in the revolvers are the best bet for good service on a regular basis. I've bought several guns there over the years as well as a lot of ammo. I have observed some rude behavior towards customers, for what appeared to be no good reason on occasion. None of it had been directed at me, or I would have gone some place else and not gone back. That being said, the folks over at Classic Arms and Arms Fair in Cordova always seem to go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Never witnessed a bad experience at either of those two places. I think G&A has the best prices, but some times I would rather pay just a little bit more for good customer service and friendly attitude as opposed to saving $20 from someone who had their Cheerio's pissed in that morning.

I bought my first pistol there, and Richard was really nice. There's one or two that have spoken to me with an "impatience," and I left wondering if I'd ever go back. There is another employee there I thought was a total grump, and I later remembered I met him 8-9 yrs ago at something totally unrelated to guns. He was a total @$$ back then. Amazing how some folks never change.

When I bought a Walther P22 last year, G&A's price was pretty high. I ended up ordering one through Range USA for $30 or so less. I kid you not, it seemed like Range USA rolled out the red carpet for me. I can't recall what all was included. I think I got a free lane rental and a X% discount on any accessories ordered at the time of pickup. The P22 mags are fairly pricey, so I got an extra two with that discount.

Next time I need something, I'll definitely give G&A a shot, and I'll try to get Richard. But I will see what Range USA can do, too. Range USA has convenient hours and actually has a parking lot, too. I've driven by G&A several times and kept going. There was not a single place to park.

I also don't understand how some times G&A will sell a firearm and not charge sales tax if you pay cash. I paid with a credit card. When I went back for an accessory, I heard one of them tell a guy "pay cash, and there's no sales tax." I thought, "Why the hell didn't you tell ME that?"

Guest jackdm3

Why would cash matter with a company that runs plastic all day? I'd love to pay no tax on ammo, but doubt that'll ever happen.

Why would cash matter with a company that runs plastic all day? I'd love to pay no tax on ammo, but doubt that'll ever happen.

Hopefully, someone knows the reason. I've wondered about it quite a few times. A friend said he's pretty sure it's not something they do all the time, so that is maybe why I wasn't offered it.

i was in there today wasn't too bad was asked but what seems like every employee if they could show me anything or if i needed help. friend of mine bought him a new to him pistol, and we were informed that they no longer do the no sales tax if you pay cash salesman said that they quit doing that around christmas. which was news to me the 2 or 3 pistols i have bought in there over the last 3 or 4 years have all been no tax due to paying with cash or debt card, i think everytime i have been in there other than today they have told me that cash or debt u dont have to pay tax just $10 background check pretty sure the no tax thing was just for gun purchases not ammo or accessories but idk guess it doesnt matter tho since they dont do it anymore

Edited by killfactorycustoms
  • Moderators

Most likely the no tax for cash had to do with saving credit card fees. The amount paid in tax could have been within just a few percent of what they lost in tax that it was a way to create an incentive for people to make their purchases there. Much like the way truck stops offer a discounted price on diesel for cash purchases.