New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

It hasn't passed, but it hasn't failed either...at least not yet. But 2000silverz28 is probably right.

Currently it is has passed in the senate. In the house it is in the Criminal Practice and Procedure sub-committee of the Judiciary committee.

You can track the status of the bill here.

Well you notice that it is still called "Guns in Bars Bill" to scare the public, so I will bet that it will be killed in Nafieh's hand picked sub-committie.

I'm sorry to offend but the public is stupid, a bunch of naive dolts. They don't bother to read what the bill says or think logically about it. They don't realize that law abiding citizens who will carry are not allowed to consume alcohol while carrying. Since bars are for consuming alcohol there will be few if any law abiding permit holders wearing their handguns in bars and if there is, they will be sober and probably a designated driver. Those who will drink and carry are the type who doesn't care if there's a law or not, probably doesn't have a permit but carries anyway so what's the difference?

It will mainly affect the restaurant/bar business,(Applebees), and they will be there with friends and family simply to eat. No more dangerous than carrying in Walmart or Kroger.

But call it "the Guns in Bars Bill" and the public has an hysterical emotional response.

The "Guns in Bars" title is a scare tactic. I think the bill actually states that it will be unlawful to cary in a place that makes 51% or more of its proceeds from selling alchohol. So you actually won't be able to carry in what most people consider a "Bar".

What it really boils down to is that sheeple are afraid to be sitting next to someone who may be carrying a gun. What is really funny if you think about it, is that it is totally legal right now to carry into any McD's. HCP holders are no more likely to start blasting away here than say an Applebee's. I can guarantee more people carry in McD's than any place that serves alchohol.

The "Guns in Bars" title is a scare tactic. I think the bill actually states that it will be unlawful to cary in a place that makes 51% or more of its proceeds from selling alchohol. So you actually won't be able to carry in what most people consider a "Bar".

What it really boils down to is that sheeple are afraid to be sitting next to someone who may be carrying a gun. What is really funny if you think about it, is that it is totally legal right now to carry into any McD's. HCP holders are no more likely to start blasting away here than say an Applebee's. I can guarantee more people carry in McD's than any place that serves alchohol.

Was that always in the bill or did they add that recently? If so, the term "Guns in Bars" is a downright lie. Technically, Applebee's is a restaurant that serves alcohol, not a bar or pub.

I will check the wording of the bill again, I did last year but didn't check out any new amendments.

:confused:Who else thinks the BATF&E sounds like a conveinent store? Next it'll be BATFE&Food.- I think they should pass it just for the sake of the Bar owners who would stand up and defend the innocent people. A crook would think twice knowing that people around them in a bar may be carrying one also.

Guest HexHead

IIRC, the "51% or more of revenue" was part of an amendment that was withdrawn.

Well you notice that it is still called "Guns in Bars Bill" to scare the public, so I will bet that it will be killed in Nafieh's hand picked sub-committie.

I'm sorry to offend but the public is stupid, a bunch of naive dolts. They don't bother to read what the bill says or think logically about it. They don't realize that law abiding citizens who will carry are not allowed to consume alcohol while carrying. Since bars are for consuming alcohol there will be few if any law abiding permit holders wearing their handguns in bars and if there is, they will be sober and probably a designated driver. Those who will drink and carry are the type who doesn't care if there's a law or not, probably doesn't have a permit but carries anyway so what's the difference?

It will mainly affect the restaurant/bar business,(Applebees), and they will be there with friends and family simply to eat. No more dangerous than carrying in Walmart or Kroger.

But call it "the Guns in Bars Bill" and the public has an hysterical emotional response.

I'm not offended.....I couldn't agree more.

IIRC, the "51% or more of revenue" was part of an amendment that was withdrawn.

That is correct! The version that passed the senate does NOT have any type of 51% of revenue part in it. If you check the link I posted above, there was never a vote on the amendmen because it was withdrawn. The sponsor of the bill told me this directly in an e-mail.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I just sent an email to Rep Eddie Bass who is on the CP&P subcommittee where the bill is currently sitting. Hoping to at least get some feedback regarding why/how a bill can just sit there without ever getting voted on.

I just sent an email to Rep Eddie Bass who is on the CP&P subcommittee where the bill is currently sitting. Hoping to at least get some feedback regarding why/how a bill can just sit there without ever getting voted on.

It is up to the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Joe McCord, to bring it up for vote/discussion in the committee. But I definitely would be interested in any response you get. Seems like I e-mailed him and the sub-committee chariman a while back and never did hear anything.

It is up to the sponsor of the bill, Rep. Joe McCord, to bring it up for vote/discussion in the committee. But I definitely would be interested in any response you get. Seems like I e-mailed him and the sub-committee chariman a while back and never did hear anything.

While many of us have sources that give us predictions on this bill I suggest we stay in touch with our representatives and urge them to bring this to a floor vote.

As I recall the last bill of this nature had 62 cosponsors and those representatives should be reminded of this and asked to be consistant by again cosponsoring this one.

While many of us have sources that give us predictions on this bill I suggest we stay in touch with our representatives and urge them to bring this to a floor vote.

As I recall the last bill of this nature had 62 cosponsors and those representatives should be reminded of this and asked to be consistant by again cosponsoring this one.

I totally agree Tim. :eek:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I just got an email back from Representative Bass, who is on the House CP&P subcommittee that will hear this first, he said:

all gun related bills are scheduled for March (as I write this I do not remember which day) in Judiciary. I may be wrong but I feel we can get this out of our committee.Thanks, Eddie"

At least that lets us know that they are planning on discussing it soon rather than just using it as a door stop.

I ran into my rep (Ben West) this past Saturday at the vets office. He remembered me (even though I was very polite on the phone) and made a point to tell me he was ding everything he can to help the cause along.

He isn't on the committee but it can't hurt

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the phone yesterday with the staff person for my representative and asked her to check the status of HB0702, 3667, and 3014. She said none of those bills had been put on notice for a vote yet. Which means it is not on the calandar. They are in committee just waiting to be pushed along.

I asked her when was the best time to call the committee members to urge them to pass the bills. She said the best time to call was during the week when the bill is scheduled to be voted on. She said the members are usually so busy with bills each week that if you call about a bill that isn't being considered at that time your input can get lost in the shuffle.

She told me to call back weekly and she would inform me on the status of the bills in question and that is what I plan to do. A staff person for another rep. told me that her understanding was all the handgun bills were to be dealt with near the end of March.

I've posted this before but it can't be repeated enough. Email is fine and should be done but calls are probably more important.

If you want to call a representative, find their name and click on it Criminal Practice & Procedure.

That will bring up a page about them. Find their phone numer. You can call that number, or if you are long distance you can call 1-800-449-8366. When the automated screener comes on dial the last five numbers of the representative's number.

Example - Sontany's number is listed as 1-615-741-6861. Dial the 800 number and then dial 16861 (the last five numbers of her number) to get her office.

For those who haven't read it yet, I suggest you read Len's sticky at the top of this forum. It's loaded with information we all could use for stuff like this.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352

Edited by waynesan