Kahr for carry? Please advise.

Guest 435

Looking for a carry gun for myself, my wife, and mother. We all three obtained our permits. I have always heard glock is the way to go. I am very familiar with all firearms. I just have smaller hands as does my wife and mother.

I recently came across a Kahr cw9. Great fit and feel to all of us.

I would love others opinions on the reliability, functionalitiy, and dependability of the Kahr line.

I have a freid that owns a gun shop that will sell us all a Kahr cw9 for $390 each.

Deal or no deal?

The weight feels good, the grip is skinny and we can get a good purchase on it. 7 rounds of 9mm will be sufficient, and if not, we need to carry a civil war cannon.

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair price in my opinion. I haven't owned one, but I have shot one before. Very nice gun. They were designed to compete with the likes of the KelTec PF9. The Kahr fit and finish is far beyond the PF9s (I did own a PF9..ugly but reliable)

Id recommend it as a good option based on my limited time shooting one. I'm sure someone that has more trigger time with them will chime in with their thoughts.

I have a Kahr PM9 which I love. Carry everyday. I've also owned a PM40 in the past. Great guns! MADE IN USA! The CW series are basically entry level models. KAHR CW9093 / Detail images. Check this link out. It shows the exact differences in the CW vs. P series. Also, I owned a PF9 Keltec for a few days. There's no comparison in quality. I honestly hated that one.

Thank you again jcj. Any opinion helps. Was the recoil very high since it is light, or was it managed by design?

I'd describe it by saying it feels "snappy" when shooting like most smaller 9mm weapons. Not harsh or difficult to handle by any means. We're all different when it comes to perceived recoil, so YMMV.

7 rounds of 9mm will be sufficient,...

8 rounds.

If you don't keep one in the chamber, it's a paperweight.

Especially a Kahr, as they are very tight guns, and it's recommended that first round be chambered from slide lock, not racked by hand.

Neither of which could you do in a hurry if needed.

Many women can't rack semi-autos very well, and the Kahr offers less purchase area than many. Highly advised that you find a place for all concerned to shoot one before purchase.

All that being said, of course all Kahrs are quality firearms, and after a 200 round minimum break in, and at at least another 100 of the self defense ammo you choose, you should be able to trust it.

Kahrs are not Glocks or XDs in the sense that they like to be clean and well lubed simply because tolerances generally become more critical as a weapon is miniaturized.

390 as far as I can tell, is a quite good price.

I own a PM9 and am currently pocket carrying it most days. I have shot the CW, and it's a fine shooter, slightly bigger than my PM9. The CW is slightly too big for pocket carry in my opinion, but of course absolutely disappears in a good IWB rig.

- OS

Guest Travtastik

I have a Kahr PM40 and I love it. I had a Glock 23 for a bit but once I picked up the Kahr I never looked back. The only thing about it is that there is no safety. Some people can not get around that fact. If everyone is fine with that fact then I would go for it, the price is fair.

Guest Lester Weevils
I have a Kahr PM9 which I love. Carry everyday. I've also owned a PM40 in the past. Great guns! MADE IN USA! The CW series are basically entry level models. KAHR CW9093 / Detail images. Check this link out. It shows the exact differences in the CW vs. P series. Also, I owned a PF9 Keltec for a few days. There's no comparison in quality. I honestly hated that one.

Pocket carry needs a holster to completely cover the trigger, and NOTHING else in that pocket to be safe. P9 fits fine in my right front pockets. Usually wear the cargo-style jeans or cutoffs, in XL, which have big pockets. Maybe P9 would be too big for smaller or more fashionable pockets.

Recoil is easy IMO. Lots easier than a .357 snubbie or 380 mouse gun. Trigger is smooth but long. Needs some practice but can be learned, and it isn't too unpleasant to shoot enough to get good at it. Mine never failed to go bang even in first break-in.

Been tempted to get a PM9 as well.

The price diff is big between P9 and CW9, and according to that Kahr differences chart, it doesn't look like the CW9 gives up anything essential for the lower price. Assuming reliability is not sacrificed. Neither IMO would be a go-to range target pistol. But accurate enough for a pocket gun.

OhShoot is right on.

Great guns, but due to very tight tolerances, need some break in.

and after you've run 200 or so to break it in, DEFINITELY run a hundred of your selected carry round through it.

DO NOT TRUST IT TO RUN any round unless you have actually tested it with that selected round.

It'll run ball ammo no problem and will be challenged by certain hollow point ammo. just be sure it likes what you want to carry.

(on a side note, i polished my feed ramp with FLITZ polish and a dremel polishing wheel. Now it's mirror slick and runs pretty much anything i want)

now running the Hornady Critical Defense and am very happy and confident in it's ability.

Long and heavy, but smooth trigger, but this is by design and I prefer it. it will only get sweeter with time.

I also agree with trying to get some range time on one. It will help you know you've got the right one. (if you lived closer, you could run mine. have several different variations and calibers of the P/PM.)

Don't have the CW, but agree with above that you don't really give up anything critical.

Love mine, and they are great for IWB. they disappears in the Galco USA holster.

Hope you love it, and keep us posted!

Not to distract you, but if you don't fall in love with the Kahr, there are other options out there that are compact and have interchangeable backstraps for hand size: XDm, S&W M&P, Beretta PX4 Storm, etc, and I believe all come in compact/subcompact variations. I have not personal experience w/ the S&W or the PX4, but those who do, seem to love them. (S&W's are getting pretty close to your price point) My experience w/ the XD and XDm is pretty extensive and I have found that men and women who shoot them, tend to like them very much. The XDm allows a lot of flexibility for hand size along with some other upgrades...

and of course, this is all simply my humble opinion. YMMV. :shake:

If one of the three of you are set on the CW9, why not just get one first? Then all of you could try it and see if you like it.

My wife has the CW40 (same size as CW9). It is not a range gun by any means, but it is very reliable. It also feeds anything we have put in there. A good IWB holster and you won't even notice it is there.

As crashgordon said, there are lot of other options in the same size/ price range if the CW9 does not fit what you want.

The cw9 is a great gun and gives up no performance to the more expensive p9 now that kahr offers different site options I really don't see why anyone would pay extra for the p9. Accuracy wise the cw is excellent even though it has standard not polygonal rifling though the p9 barrel will fit it if that's your flavor. Recoil is not bad and the trigger is very smooth. I however would only recommend the 9mm I had the 40 and 45 and for me accurate follow up shots were difficult with the larger calibers since the weight was very similar. I got rid of my cw45 and now carry a Sig p245 when I want compact 45 firepower as it is very controllable. 390 is a great price btw

The cw9 is a great gun and gives up no performance to the more expensive p9 now that kahr offers different site options I really don't see why anyone would pay extra for the p9. Accuracy wise the cw is excellent even though it has standard not polygonal rifling though the p9 barrel will fit it if that's your flavor. Recoil is not bad and the trigger is very smooth. I however would only recommend the 9mm I had the 40 and 45 and for me accurate follow up shots were difficult with the larger calibers since the weight was very similar. I got rid of my cw45 and now carry a Sig p245 when I want compact 45 firepower as it is very controllable. 390 is a great price btw

8 rounds.

If you don't keep one in the chamber, it's a paperweight.

Especially a Kahr, as they are very tight guns, and it's recommended that first round be chambered from slide lock, not racked by hand.

Neither of which could you do in a hurry if needed.

Many women can't rack semi-autos very well, and the Kahr offers less purchase area than many. Highly advised that you find a place for all concerned to shoot one before purchase.

All that being said, of course all Kahrs are quality firearms, and after a 200 round minimum break in, and at at least another 100 of the self defense ammo you choose, you should be able to trust it.

Kahrs are not Glocks or XDs in the sense that they like to be clean and well lubed simply because tolerances generally become more critical as a weapon is miniaturized.

390 as far as I can tell, is a quite good price.

I own a PM9 and am currently pocket carrying it most days. I have shot the CW, and it's a fine shooter, slightly bigger than my PM9. The CW is slightly too big for pocket carry in my opinion, but of course absolutely disappears in a good IWB rig.

- OS

+1. My usual carry is a PM40. It's been a good gun.

Guest Danariel

I traded a Glock 19 in on my Kahr CW9. Loved my Glock, but didn't carry it often due to it's size (I'm 5'4", 130 lbs.) Love the feel of the grip (once I put a Hogue Handall Jr. on it, the texturing of the backstrap rubbed my hand RAW during my first shoot with it.)

However, since I was used to the Glock trigger pull, the Kahr has caused me to develop a flinch. The trigger pull is heavy (7-8 lbs, I think) and loooooong, so long that it surprises me with every shot. It's DAO, so doesn't get any easier with the second shot. This of course means my shots don't go where I want them to at range. Total Disaster.

I've got a Glock 26 on order now, and will be trading the CW9 in this weekend.

I can't stress enough, see if you (all of you) can shoot one before you buy it.

Guest XD9GUY

I've got a CW9 and it is a very good carry gun. Thin and lightweight. The PM9's are a little smaller but they are about $200 more and for the money I just don't see the benefit. The CW9 shoots really well and has a little less kick than the Kel-Tec PF9. I guess I've shot at least 350 or 400 rounds thru mine with not even one hiccup. Great gun. I can carry mine in my front pocket with a Mike's #4 pocket holster. Conceals very well.

Double Action is a skill that takes practice to develop. The trigger on the PM9 is a heck of a lot better than a snubby.

Have to agree with you on this one. I changed the main spring on my SP101 this week Hope to get to Norris Friday to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guy N. Cognito

I had a Kahr and l sold it quickly. TERRIBLE trigger and very stiff and difficult to manipulate. My wife could not rack the slide at all, even after 500 rounds. I have average sized hands and I found the Kahr too small.

If you like a single stack that's easy to shoot, consider a SA EMP or a Kimber9MM 1911.

Guest HVAC Worker

I carry a CW.45 everyday and love it.Once you get use to the trigger pull its fun to shoot and shoots well.I carry it OWB with my shirt untucked and very very few people know I am carrying.Just make sure that you get a good gun belt,the belt is very important.