Consent to carry in other's homes?

Guest Newbie

I work in a business where I go into/out of people's homes all day. Do I need to get their permission to carry into their homes? Do I have to leave it in the car? I spoke with another employee and his response was "keep it concealed and no one will know". I keep it in a small pocket of my backback and there's no way anyone will know, but if something DID happen and they saw it, what's the legality there?

I've looked around, but can't find a response.

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure either man. I don't know of any laws that would prevent this as long as the homeowner doesn't request that you not carry.....which I would presume they have every legal right to do so. I don't know what your job is, but if it would not be precieved as "normal" for someone in your line of work to be carrying, I would keep it concealed in such a manner that it would never be exposed. A good solution is a Thunder Carry fanny pack style system that you wear under your pants in the crotch area. I used to carry my G27 and Kimber Ultra Carry in one all the time. I would stop at industrial plants and other facilities for my job and always had a tucked in dress shirt on, so that's the only way I could carry comfortably and well concealed. The only thing that is noticable about it depending on the size of the gun is it makes you look like you have a nice bulge in your crotch...not exactly a bad thing...lol

Guest jackdm3

Frequently, my construction on-the-side bidness carries me into homes of strangers. I've seen too many nutcases NOT to carry. In the pocket, instead of on hip when I'm doing stuff for my properties.

Haha I wear scrubs and am moving around a lot, squatting, etc (healthcare) so not sure if the fanny pack would work. I work with two others who carry and they both say essentially the same thing, even when I ask about the law. (just keep it concealed) But again, I really want to follow the law in the .01% chance something did happen and it was exposed. I've scoured the employee handbook and there's nothing in there prohibiting it. I really don't want to go ask my boss "hey, can I carry my handgun into people's homes?" Naturally the response would be no, regardless of how I asked the question. I know there are females that carry, but coincidentally the other we are the only 3 guys at the office and the only ones carrying that I know of.

Anyone know the specific rules on this?

oh and I have a G23 I carry outside of work, but I keep a Keltec .380 in my backpack, that's the one I'm asking about specifically.

There is no law that would prevent it as long as you are carrying legally and have been invited into the home. The only thing that it would fall under would be if they saw it and asked you to leave and you refused. Then you would be guilty of Criminal Trespass. As long as your job does not have any rules against carrying that you are breaking you're fine legally.

Thanks for the info. Any references where I can look this up to confirm? I'll be leaving if they ask, for sure. Thanks again, I'm still looking on a few sites trying to find the exact law. Google isn't that helpful atm. HAHA.

I call it a fanny pack, but it's basically in the shape of a fanny pack, but has two pouches in the front. It has a waist band that goes around and velcro's in the back. This may not work as scrubs are really loose and it needs to be sorta tight to you otherwise it will flop forward. Mabe a belly band would work. Heck with a Keltec .380 you could carry it on your ankle if you wanted.

If you have a bag that you keep with you then that would also be a good place. The Keltec is so small and light that you have a lot of options. I believe the advice above is correct. As long as you have a permit and you are invited into the house you're fine. If the firearm is noticed by the homeowner and they ask you to leave then you must do so. Personally I would ignore the "employee handbook" and not ask about carrying. If you feel that you need to carry due to a risk towards your life, then what's more important.....your life or the employee handbook? That's up to you, however I would choose me first and my job second.

If I going into other peoples' homes was part of my work, then, no, I probably would not ask for permission every time I had to enter a dwelling. But if they said up front "I don't want any guns in my home", then I would have to honor their wishes by either disarming before entering or not going in at all.

But if I am going into someone's home who I respect, and they don't know that I carry, I will usually ask if it's OK.

What kind of holster do you use?

If I was in your situation I'd look for a holster that doesn't look like a holster. I'd look for something that completely conceals the gun. Maybe even a large cell phone holster or PDA holder might work. Or you could get a small cloth CD case, take out the plastic inside it and use it as a holster.

Got a friend in HVAC repair who uses a Safepacker. Hangs it from his belt and no one has ever asked him what it is. They just assume it's a tool pouch. I use one when I am working out in the yard and around the house, and it protects the weapon from any damage no matter how much crawling around you have to do. Best $70 I ever spent.

I carry everywhere I go. In all my time of having my permit I have only been asked 1 time to "not carry" it was on a construction site for a new home and I must have scared all the illegals. Told my wife I was just gonna buy me a jacket with ICE on the back. :rolleyes:

But no I don't ask, if it's seen (and I carry OWB) they can ask me to remove it and I will but until they ask I'm breaking no laws.

Guest bkelm18
Got a friend in HVAC repair who uses a Safepacker. Hangs it from his belt and no one has ever asked him what it is. They just assume it's a tool pouch. I use one when I am working out in the yard and around the house, and it protects the weapon from any damage no matter how much crawling around you have to do. Best $70 I ever spent.

The park rangers where I work use the Desantis version of the safepacker to carry their weapons. Really unless you knew they carried weapons you'd think the pouch just carried first aid supplies or something.

Guest clownsdd

Just remember, if a customer sees it and complains, you would likely be out of a job unless the owner(s) are on our side. BTW..does your boss know you are carrying?

For years I painted on the side inside peoples homes. I always carried under a un tucked t shirt. It was spotted a few times. A couple of times the person seemed a little shocked at first but after thinking about it a minute and finding out my partner was carrying also, and that they had been around us all day or several days,they were ok with it.

Most of the time the people were working for either knew us or knew of us through other people so that may have made a difference and were working for our selfs so we did not have to worry about getting fired by the boss. I guess we could ave gotten fired from the job were working on but it never happened. Who wants their house half painted?

Guest drv2fst

Keep it on your person though. If you go to the bathroom and a kid gets in your backpack it could be bad. I would not be offended by someone carrying in my home but would be very offended if the did not keep immediate control of their weapon.

Keep it on your person though. If you go to the bathroom and a kid gets in your backpack it could be bad. I would not be offended by someone carrying in my home but would be very offended if the did not keep immediate control of their weapon.

+1

... Thanks again, I'm still looking on a few sites trying to find the exact law. ....

Laws don't generally state what's legal but rather, what's not legal -- except for legal exceptions or defenses to an illegal act.

You won't find a law saying it's okay to wear shorts in public, only that it's illegal to be naked in public.

- OS

Thanks for the info everyone. Many good points brought up. I have it in a small holster in a pocket, but maybe I should get a better holster to keep it on me all the time.

Good point about the law too Ohshoot. Thanks again all. Very good ideas and very helpful.

As a home owner. If some stranger came to my home to do work. He would not be armed. If I found out he was armed, there would be trouble. I would kindly ask him to leave, with my 45 pointed at him, safety off. I realize that you are going to peoples homes that you do not know, but you have to look at it from my view. I don't know you either and in my home I'm the king and the knight.

Edited by Will Carry
As a home owner. If some stranger came to my home to do work. He would not be armed. If I found out he was armed, there would be trouble. I would kindly ask him to leave, with my 45 pointed at you, safety off. I realize that you are going to peoples homes that you do not know, but you have to look at it from my view. I don't know you either and in my home I'm the king and the knight.

I would start asking people before you let them in then.

Guest peacexxl
As a home owner. If some stranger came to my home to do work. He would not be armed. If I found out he was armed, there would be trouble. I would kindly ask him to leave, with my 45 pointed at him, safety off. I realize that you are going to peoples homes that you do not know, but you have to look at it from my view. I don't know you either and in my home I'm the king and the knight.

Wow! I have to wonder about the legality of pulling your gun on someone just because you know they are carrying. If you invite someone into your home to do work and don't ask if they are armed first then isn't it assault for you to throw them out at gun point. Also it sounds like you might be pro for yourself and an anti where everyone else is concerned. Sure, you don't know them, but they don't know you either, and they probably just want to get home to their families safely.

I would say do a lot of research on who you hire first and don't let them in if you are not comfortable or if you become uncomfortable at anytime, you can ask them to leave but if you invite me in and decide to draw on me with no provocation, I will leave no problem but I will also be on the phone with the cops before I make it to the end of your road.