Pawn shop rant

gregintenn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, Dick's often has great sales. This week a 10/22 is $199.99, other than Wal-Mart who can match that? Still mighty high-priced for as much plastic as they have now.

As for pawn shops...there's a sucker born every minute.

I got a Carbine model for like 175. I had called and that was the price they quoted. When I got there he apologized as he got the price wrong but said he would still give it to me for 175.

Guest buttonhook

I bought the rossi trifecta for $219 at dicks then I had a coupon for $20 off so I got it for $199 for three guns a 22, 243, and 20 ga. I dont think you can find a better deal anywhere

It's time to weigh in as an official member of the "Old Fart Club" DaddyO. Age is not necessarily a good thing. I am VERY close to your age. I hope I never get so old, closed minded, and obnoxious, as to not appreciate a fellow shooters opinion regardless of their age. I don't have to take their advice, but I love hearing the logic behind it. It may be sound, or it may be something I can correct, or offer a different point of view on. Youth does not always equal wrong!

Generally speaking, wisdom comes with age. But, as it is with anything, there are exceptions to that rule. One thing's for sure, it's all in the approach. Wouldn't mind a bit if someone half my age offered their opinion if they were kind and it was obvious they were just trying to help. But calling one a fool is a sure fire way to stop up their auditory canal.

Guest tnxdshooter
Then why did you state in your original post that you did call him a fool? Did you or didn't you? Big difference in helping people and pointing out to them that they are a fool because they don't make the same decisions we do.

Don't take this personally, but the vast majority of twenty somethings I have encountered who think they know something generally don't. You and others here may be the exceptions. I have a 20 something living in my house. He doesn't know squat, but he thinks he is a walking encyclopedia.

And yes, age makes a huge difference. Don't forget that all us middle agers were twenty somethings once and thought we knew it all.

The vast majority of 50's somethings that think they know something generally dont I have found. Take my dad for instance. He thinks he knows everything, yet I prove him wrong constantly. In reality he doesnt know jack about most subjects unless it is related to engineering but acts like he knows everything in the universe like most other people his age.

Guest tnxdshooter
To change the subject a bit; where can a person find a deal on a Mosin. I'd like to have a carbine.

Not sure,

I bought mine out of a car trunk for 100 bucks. I wish I had never sold it. Biggest mistake I ever made I miss that gun dearly.

The vast majority of 50's somethings that think they know something generally dont I have found. Take my dad for instance. He thinks he knows everything, yet I prove him wrong constantly. In reality he doesnt know jack about most subjects unless it is related to engineering but acts like he knows everything in the universe like most other people his age.

If he's so ignorant, I imagine you have all the money and he's broke, huh?

Guest tnxdshooter
If he's so ignorant, I imagine you have all the money and he's broke, huh?

Never said he was ignorant just said he thinks he knows everything and he doesnt. Just like I do not know everything either but since I have "street smarts" and book smarts and he only has book smarts he doesnt know alot of times like how much guns are worth or what not and is always asking me questions. I give him the answer, he does the exact opposite and then crap hits the fan and he complains. I dont know my real father he is my adopted father but still the only father I have known but sometimes he really gets on my nerves. He is one of those know it all types that no one likes and he has few friends because of it. He aint broke he makes good money as an engineer I am just saying though that as an engineer that is about all he knows how to do when it comes to guns and other stuff he is clueless but acts like he knows.

Is it that he doesn't know "jack" or that he just disagrees with you? Big difference, you know.

I have disagreements with my dad but I still regard him as the smartest man on the planet.

Pawn shops are not bad, you just have to check them out often and know what things are worth because if it is a deal it wont be there later. Every time I go to Knoxville, which is about 2x a week, I try to stop by a pawn shop or two. I have found some amazing deals and passed on some as well. I found a decent Marlin model 25 for $65, I found a left handed Savage 25-06 for $239 OTD with rings and in a nice checkered wood stock. I have also seen beat to hell Glocks for $500 and of course I passed on those.

Ask how long something has been out on the floor if the date isn't on the tag. If it has been out for a while they WILL come down on the price. If it has only been out for a week or two they will come down but not as much if it has been on the shelf for moneth and months.

Something else most people don't know or don't want to do is squable with them over the price. Realize that most pawn shops pay 1/2 the book value or even less for a firearm. This leaves them a lot of wiggle room on the price. I walked into a pawn shop that has a Savage 10FP in 308 and a 9mm pistol I wanted. The rifle was priced at $400 and the pistol at $300. By the time we had got done haggling, which took about 5 minutes, the package deal was $450 OTD. After that I told them I didn't want the rifle and still got the pistol for $230 OTD.

It is just a matter of knowing when to walk away and honestly there aren't a lot of pawn shops that I have found that really know what a firearm is worth unless they can look it up in the book.

Dolomite

One more thing, some the best jewelery I have bought has been at pawn shops. They do not sell fake junk because they will not buy it. I have seen them turn away a bunch of people trying to sell jewelery that the people thought was real but wasn't.

Guest countryfirecracker
Generally speaking, wisdom comes with age. But, as it is with anything, there are exceptions to that rule. One thing's for sure, it's all in the approach. Wouldn't mind a bit if someone half my age offered their opinion if they were kind and it was obvious they were just trying to help. But calling one a fool is a sure fire way to stop up their auditory canal.

I have to agree some what with both sides. I think wisdom can also come from experiences in life. As far as 20 somethings thinking they know everything, I don't agree. There are a lot of people in all ages who think they know everything. Not all 20 somethings think they know everything. my father is also an engineer but he is the smartest man I know. He taught me how to hunt and fish along with many other things. He is smart! But that's because of experiences and of course what he has learned. I have also learned a lot from my grandpa and sometimes their knowledge conflicts , but they are both smart in my eyes! They have had different experiences in life, so therefore different views. Everyone is ignorant in some way, shape or form and in some subject or another. Age to me doesn't mean someone is ignorant or smarter. It means they have been alive longer or less. As well as, they have had a longer chance to have more experiences doesn't mean they have taken those experiences and learned from them. So I more or less stand on the fence in a way. Because I think everyone is ignorant to some extent! Even me! I try to listen to peoples advice and then I decide whether to take it. But I am smart too in some things and ignorant in others!! It's just whether someone wants to admit it or not. Just figured I would weigh in on that conversation a little.

Guest clsutton21

Blah Blah Blah.

Old people think young people act like they know everything. Young people think old people act like they know everything. Why does it matter? Maybe by the fact of my two statements, one can derive that everyone knows nothing or everyone actually does know everything. Either case, it's a pointless, inexorable argument and no one will experience deference from either side.

Never said he was ignorant just said he thinks he knows everything and he doesnt. Just like I do not know everything either but since I have "street smarts" and book smarts and he only has book smarts he doesnt know alot of times like how much guns are worth or what not and is always asking me questions. I give him the answer, he does the exact opposite and then crap hits the fan and he complains. I dont know my real father he is my adopted father but still the only father I have known but sometimes he really gets on my nerves. He is one of those know it all types that no one likes and he has few friends because of it. He aint broke he makes good money as an engineer I am just saying though that as an engineer that is about all he knows how to do when it comes to guns and other stuff he is clueless but acts like he knows.

Speaking from some experience, the "hard" sciences (those that deal with the physical world) attract people who are already know-it-alls. I have been one since childhood, and have been a chemist since I had a career choice. Engineers are no different - they're really just applied physicists with a focus on the interactions between really big things, for the most part. Being right all the time has consequences, as you've outlined regarding his poor purchases you might have prevented.

One thing most of us wannabe genius know-it-alls do have in common - and this is how you make it work- is a desire to learn how to do X better, whatever X is. If X is buying a gun, teach pop how to evaluate what is and is not important, and explain how the important variables are related: what increases or reduces price, what should you walk away from if you see it? Instead of telling him what to do, which will get the full-on mule treatment, educate him on how to make decisions in your area of expertise. Be a teacher, and see if that works. If it doesn't, blame me.