Training after HCP Class

Guest Underground

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken several classes both in pistol and carbine, as well as instructor classes. The permit class doens't cover nearly enough for the average citizen to be equipped to actually carry/use a handgun in a defensive situation (my opinion)

Guest rsgillmd

I've taken the level II class at Rangemaster (level I = HCP). I'll probably take level III when I find the time. Also interested in taking an intro to shotguns class.

I've just had my permit since January. I took an "advanced marksmanship" class at Coal Creek last Spring. I'd like take at least one class a year for a while. I'm also interested in some type of home defense shotgun class if I can find one in my area.

I am also intrested in a shotgun class. Austin's in Oak Ridge offers one. I have 0 knowledge/experience with them (shotguns not Austins). I'm intrested in shotgun 101 but I'm not clear on whether Austin's class is for experienced owner's or persons like me that need to know how to choose one for purchase, safely own and operate it and maintain it.

Guess I'll be first with this answer... No, I haven't had any classes since the HCP class.

It's not necessarly that I've avoided them or don't think they would be helpful, it just hasn't worked out for me to go for various reasons.

Guest Phantom6
I am also intrested in a shotgun class. Austin's in Oak Ridge offers one. I have 0 knowledge/experience with them (shotguns not Austins). I'm intrested in shotgun 101 but I'm not clear on whether Austin's class is for experienced owner's or persons like me that need to know how to choose one for purchase, safely own and operate it and maintain it.

We offer both basic and advanced shotgun courses. Give a call to 865.483.1108 during regular business hours and we'll be happy to help.

Guest Phantom6

We offer a number of classes for the post HCP shooter. Someone earlier in this thread hit the nail on the head when they said something to the effect that the HCP class just makes you legal. Our Personal Protection in the Home class is an intermediate handgunning class and the Personal Protection outside the Home class is an advanced tactical handgunning class. We also offer a class that I believe that everyone with a HCP should take called Non-Lethal Self Defense for the Handgun Carry Permit Holder. If your carry firearm is your only method of self defense and you have no force continuum to rely on, your life could be taking a very bad turn. It is a 4 hour course coming up on 4 November from 6pm-10pm. It covers subjects like the selection of carry gear, security issues, firearm retention, alternate force options and more. The complete class syllabus is located here . There are only 10 spots left.

Guest Phantom6
I've just had my permit since January. I took an "advanced marksmanship" class at Coal Creek last Spring. I'd like take at least one class a year for a while. I'm also interested in some type of home defense shotgun class if I can find one in my area.

PM sent

Guest Phantom6

PM sent

I took quite a few private lessons after acquiring my HCP. I am wanting to take some practical training classes where I am actually moving and shooting. The biggest problem I have encountered is finding classes that are offered which not too far from Chattanooga.

Guest Plainsman

I've taken the Advanced Concealed Carry through CIS. I thoughroughly enjoyed it and feel that I came home with a wealth of helpful information and techniques to practice on the range. Now range time isn't just pointlessly sending rounds downrange and I feel that I'm actually getting something out of practice.