post office carry?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84
We certainly do appreciate that comprehensive and incisive addition so late in the thread.

Do you carry a pocketknife in there by the way?

Is it 2.5" long blade or longer?

- OS

Hey, you're welcome!

Just putting it out in plain ol' english for those that can't read those whole paragraphs! :)

So, again, Do you carry a pocketknife in there by the way?

Is it 2.5" long blade or longer?

- OS

I wouldn't expect anyone to admit to violating federal law on a public forum.

I really thought this was a settled issue.....

To my knowledge, carry in a Post Office, (technically even the parking lot) is illegal.

Seems like I once heard that technically they are not a "federal facility" that is required to be posted per the CFR.

As DaveTN pointed out 39 CFR 232.1(l) says...

Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may

carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either

openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for

official purposes.

Seems fairly clear....

Thanks fellers. I guess that clears it up. The post office is free to keep letting robberies and worse happen on their property. I may just find myself another way of handling my occasional postal business.

Nobody gets frisked going in a post office.

Incidentally, if you're carrying a knife with 2.5" blade, you may as well carry a gun, since penalty is the same push come to shove.

- OS

Nobody gets frisked going in a post office.

Incidentally, if you're carrying a knife with 2.5" blade, you may as well carry a gun, since penalty is the same push come to shove.

- OS

The penalty if convicted may be the same, but I bet the odds of being charged if found out aren't the same.... :D

• 2 months later...

Since Post Office is restrcted, even parking lot I have been doing PO business at Drug store that has a branch PO inside. Building is NOT posted and I definitrly don't want to ask. Is this whole place considered a PO????

Ken

Since Post Office is restrcted, even parking lot I have been doing PO business at Drug store that has a branch PO inside. Building is NOT posted and I definitrly don't want to ask. Is this whole place considered a PO????

Ken

Will the PO fill a prescription?

Will the drugstore mail a package?

Does a bank in a Kroger make all of the Kroger a bank?

Who won the '57 World Series?

- OS

I've read about this postal stuff for several years. TN state law is silent, unlike other states. Postal regs seem to impose a 50 dollar slap on the wrist civil penalty deal for those who are caught. I believe this is similar to those who used to be caught in national parks with loaded guns, kind of like a traffic ticket. I am not a lawyer, but it doesn't seem like a serious offense, especially if it is a 50 dollar fine. I'm sure the serious offenses play in for gang bangers, druggies, hood types who mean harm to the postal workers and facility. I guess this is if the post office wants to call postal police of postal inspectors out to your local Post Office to come charge you for a fifty dollar deal.

The regs are kind of gray, and what is a 'lawful' purpose too. Who knows. I don't lose a lot of sleep over it. I'm not a gang banger, not a doper, just a clean cut American minding my own business with my gun concealed.

...The regs are kind of gray, and what is a 'lawful' purpose too. Who knows. I don't lose a lot of sleep over it. I'm not a gang banger, not a doper, just a clean cut American minding my own business with my gun concealed.

+1, pretty much the intent of my last tongue in cheek retort in the thread.

- OS

Guest kirkosaurus
Sgt. Joe isn't that a metal detecter right inside the door of that PO.

I've shipped car parts that have more metal than my Glock and those things have never gone off. I wonder if those really are metal detectors.

i know this subject has beaten to death. i do not wont to start anything. the way i read 39-17-1359 doesnt even the federal gov. have to post in tn. or all they can do is ask you to leave. do not plan on being a test case on this end

i know this subject has beaten to death. i do not wont to start anything. the way i read 39-17-1359 doesnt even the federal gov. have to post in tn. or all they can do is ask you to leave. do not plan on being a test case on this end

Not if the place is off-limits per Federal law.

39-17-1359 allows the Feds to post and would require them to any place that is not already off-limits per federal law.

If a place is off-limits per federal law, but not TN law and not posted per 39-17-1359, just means you'd be facing federal charged instead of state charges.

The Poster says "carrying a dangerous weapon is prohibited .....unless on official buisness". What if I "officially" dont want to get my ass robbed, does that count?

<<whew>>

Since my teeny-wittle .380 isn't "dangerous" (according to some), I'm GtG! :D

... Besides there is no reason to go to a PO any more. You can do it all on line and Fedex and UPS can deliver it better. "if it fits it ships" is basically Fedex.

FedEx/UPS doesn't compete with many USPS rates. Like 1oz to 13 oz First Class for $.44 to $3, 1lb Media Mail for $2.38, etc, etc.

FedEx/UPS Ground starts making sense for individual user at around 10 lbs., or sometimes for large odd sized items even lighter. FedEx Ground starts significantly beating UPS Ground at around 25 lbs.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot