Bill Haslam at TFA meeting last night

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about 4.25 million to date.

I knew it was some crazy amount. Now I am not the brightest bulb in the fixture, but I do know that no one forks over that kind of cash without expecting to return a profit. He certainly will be using his potential office to fatten his wallet.

I knew it was some crazy amount. Now I am not the brightest bulb in the fixture, but I do know that no one forks over that kind of cash without expecting to return a profit. He certainly will be using his potential office to fatten his wallet.

There are few people who run for office that do not expect some rewards. In the average goober politician's case, all those free meals, business contacts, ego-stroking, and POWER come at far less cost. I won't go so far to say as he's bought the election but money talks. That's how people are elected.

We in ET only see Haslam ads. I'm sure the Democratic faithful on the West Side are being bombarded with son of Ned ads.

Now, he could have gone before the Council and endosed or otherwise supported the repeal of that law but he did not.

He DID sit in with City Council and was quite forceful in speaking AGAINST lifting the old ban.

Btw, they actually DID vote on a proposal; I believe it was worded to simply let the old statute stand, but they did take a vote and there were two dissenters, maybe three.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest kirkosaurus
Yes. I simply will not vote for a Demorat, no matter how winsome. McWerter is a Demorat of the worst kind -- i believe nothing he believes. It's really a 'hold your nose' or lesser of evils vote thing.

Leroy

Both our choices for governor STINK!

McWerter isn't the only candidate besides Haslam running for governor.

Some audio from last night. The first question asker made me giggle, but I was not happy with Haslam's answer to the followup. I think I will still be holding my nose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpHvd5b3sMc

I will be posting the full meeting in chronological order. Lenard Embody was the poser of the first question, and the holder of the tape recorder. The audio is spliced, and a full purview of the meeting will give a different flavor.

Yeah. LOL Voldemort. Anyone got an audio or video of the full meeting?

I do, and will be posting when I get through uploading to YouTube. That mess takes a LONG time.

You can view the clips I have done at Youtube under Worriedman50.

Edited by Worriedman

update

It appears Haslam has already balked on his view of permit-less carry in TN.

Candidates for Governor differ on gun carry permits

Republican candidate Bill Haslam's stance on gun rights was the main topic Monday night during a meeting of the Tennessee Firearms Association.

The meeting was held at a restaurant in Heritage, Tennessee. Audio from the meeting was posted on YouTube.com.

During the meeting, Haslam was questioned about handgun carry permits. The video clip lasts only five minutes.

During the clip Haslam is asked if he would "support non-permitted carry?"

Haslam answered: "If the Legislature passed it, (inaudible) to me, I said I would sign it yes."

6 News asked Haslam on Tuesday about the meeting. He explained his stance on whether Tennesseans should be required to have permits to carry guns.

"What I said is that is not what I am in favor of, so that is when that question came up. I think the permit process is an important piece of how we deal with that in Tennessee," says Haslam.

In the audio, Haslam clearly says he would sign legislation if it came across his desk as Governor. But Haslam says it is not something he would push for or favor. He did say, however, he would support the bill if approved by the legislature.

"I would and one thing to remember, in Tennessee, the Governor's veto it can be overridden by a simple majority. If the legislature passes that, I did say yeah, I would sign that," says Haslam.

Haslam's opponent, Democrat Mike McWherter believes that type of bill would put people in danger.

"While I am a strong supporter of second amendment rights, I am shocked at Bill Haslam's lack of common sense and total disregard for public safety. This is irresponsible. Bill Haslam is willing to put the safety of Tennessee families in jeopardy, and this speaks to the core of his character," said McWherter.

Haslam says he is not surprised his opponent would make this an issue. Haslam says the focus of the campaign should be on jobs and the budget.

update

It appears Haslam has already balked on his view of permit-less carry in TN.

Candidates for Governor differ on gun carry permits

I don't see his comments as balking on his view. He said he was not in favor of permitless carry, that he thought the permit system offered safeguards. He DID say if the Legislature passed such a Bill he would sign it.

Personally, I am in favor of Vemont style carry, with a permit system in addition, so that I can continue to travel to other States and be legal while carrying.

I don't see his comments as balking on his view. He said he was not in favor of permitless carry, that he thought the permit system offered safeguards. He DID say if the Legislature passed such a Bill he would sign it.

Personally, I am in favor of Vemont style carry, with a permit system in addition, so that I can continue to travel to other States and be legal while carrying.

you're right. I misread part of it. I do not believe him though when he says he will sign it. I just don't. But I agree with you, would love to see this pass.

I am not voting for him. Everytime I have heard him asked about the Bloomberg gun coalition he plays it off and never really answers the question.

I think he is self serving as most politicians are.

The guy is spending more than a million of his own cash, I would have asked him why and what's in it for him?

Somebody school this ignorant country boy. My big concern with repealing the carry law is reciprocity. How can TN have reciprocity with another state if we TN'ers don't have a law in existence, and vice versa? I am a permit holder, and I am the first to question whether any law will restrict us citizens or protect our liberties. I guess if I plan to travel outside the state, I would be inclined to keep the carry law just for that purpose. Am I wrong?

Guest KimberChick
Somebody school this ignorant country boy. My big concern with repealing the carry law is reciprocity. How can TN have reciprocity with another state if we TN'ers don't have a law in existence, and vice versa? I am a permit holder, and I am the first to question whether any law will restrict us citizens or protect our liberties. I guess if I plan to travel outside the state, I would be inclined to keep the carry law just for that purpose. Am I wrong?

That has always been my question. If we abolish HCP then we don't have a permit to carry anymore...we are just able to do it. If we don't have a permit anymore, then other states have nothing to recognize for purposes of reciprocity. If they disallow carry unless said carrier has a permit, it seems like we'd be out to dry.

I am not voting for him. Everytime I have heard him asked about the Bloomberg gun coalition he plays it off and never really answers the question.

I think he is self serving as most politicians are.

The guy is spending more than a million of his own cash, I would have asked him why and what's in it for him?

Do you really want McWherter sitting in the state house; a man who is opposed to almost everything gun owners support (not to mention what most conservatives support)?

McWherter and Haslam are the only two realistic choices and at this point, especially after meeting the man, the choice is pretty clear to me.

Edited by RobertNashville
That has always been my question. If we abolish HCP then we don't have a permit to carry anymore...we are just able to do it. If we don't have a permit anymore, then other states have nothing to recognize for purposes of reciprocity. If they disallow carry unless said carrier has a permit, it seems like we'd be out to dry.

No one is talking about abolishing the HCP process - many of us, me included, need it and want it because our HCP is recognized by some 36 other states.

What is being discussed is not requiring a HCP to carry a handgun in Tennessee if you are otherwise legally able to possess a handgun (i.e. not felon, etc., etc.)

"To be blunt, we have Mayor Haslam to vote for because 1) we had two other conservatives running for the nomination with him and 2) we have no provision in Tennessee for a run-off election whenever a candidate doesn't get at least 50% + 1 of the votes cast."

For many years, the Democrats dominated the Governor's Mansion for this reason!

The East Tennessee Republicans would send a candidate, as would the West Tennessee Republicans. Each Republican received his "home boy" (circa 30%) vote while the Democrats received the Middle Tennessee 40%. Winfield Dunn was the first Republican in my memory to become governor.

What is being discussed is not requiring a HCP to carry a handgun in Tennessee if you are otherwise legally able to possess a handgun (i.e. not felon, etc., etc.)

I will stand up and be the whipping post, as I am sure I'm in the minority here.

I believe strongly in the HCP system and think it is the only way to go. I can support unpermitted carry in a vehicle - thugs should fear the consequences of carjacking as much as breaking into a home. However, I am not in favor of allowing permitless carry on your person. Why? It's simple.

You don't get the privilege of driving without a license and the minimum criteria that must be met. You don't get the privilege of marriage without a license. Now you have to undergo pre-marital counseling to get a license. You don't get the privilege of being in business without a license. Want to operate a restaurant? Got to go through a health inspection. The HCP carry privilege is my choice for a reason - basic knowledge is presented in class, you show you know how to fire a weapon, and most importantly, you've gone through a background check. When you see a FTF buyer's HCP, you can be highly confident that they are legal to buy your weapon. I don't want every non-felon in the world carrying without going through the process. There's plenty of non-felony disqualifiers on the HCP application for a REASON.

Don't mistake anything I am saying. I have my HCP and am very proud of it and obviously support the right to carry. But I support the properly screened and informed right to carry.

Edit: This isn't a thread hijack. Haslam says he supports unpermitted carry - this is my view on that issue.

No one is talking about abolishing the HCP process - many of us, me included, need it and want it because our HCP is recognized by some 36 other states.

Okay, back to the "ignorant country boy" thing here. If the second statement is true, wouldn't the natural progression be the elimination of the HCP? I'm just saying, if being able to legally own (and thereby posess) a handgun is simply your age and other items mentioned above, where will the HCP serve a purpose? It seems to me we are making the permit optional. Put that scenario to a driver's license. If I am old enough to drive a car and that makes it legal, what is the point of going through the license process? Sorry to beat the dead horse, just trying to get convinced.

... the natural progression be the elimination of the HCP? I'm just saying, if being able to legally own (and thereby posess) a handgun is simply your age and other items mentioned above, where will the HCP serve a purpose?

It serves purpose for reciprocity in other states.

VT does not issue a carry permit, and consequently, Vermonters can only carry in a couple of other states that recognize their right simply because they are VT residents.

However, both AK and AZ, which also do not require a permit to carry in state, either openly or concealed, also both issue a permit so that other states have option of honoring it.

TN has one of the most widely honored permits in the US, and it would be a great indifference for many travelers were this to change.

- OS