Bill Haslam at TFA meeting last night

We had a huge crowd at the monthly Nashville chapter meeting of the TFA. Bill Haslam was our featured speaker. He spoke well and was well-prepared to speak to us, unlike last month's experience with his opponent. Mayor Haslam addressed our concerns about the newly-passed restaurant carry law, saying he supported it and said he would sign unrestricted carry if the bill reached his desk. There were other questions about small-business regulation, cutting the state budget, ObamaCare, and many other issues. Mayor Haslam spoke intelligently about these issues, and agreed with the crowd that there is too much government intrusion in most areas, and that reducing spending and bureaucracy is a difficult, but necessary, job. He flatly stated he would oppose any attempt at a state income tax.

The Mayors Against Illegal Guns issue was addressed, and Mayor Haslam said he signed his name before realizing the left-wing, anti-freedom agenda, and has regretted it since. given the amont of flack he has received on this issue, I feel safe in saying that he has 'seen the light'.

I came away feeling that while Bill Haslam may not be the perfect pro-gun candidate, he is one we can work with and who will not oppose us. Further, he understands the need to lessen state and Federal regulation and taxes in order to build our economy. So, I will be voting for him, and don't believe I'll even have to hold my nose to do it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1gewehr:_________

Thanks for posting this note. Very informative analysis. I feel as you do, that Haslam will support TN gunowners. He simply cannot afford not to.

I remember a fella by the name of Albert Gore, Sr. who was a six term senator from TN who was voted out of office for voting for the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Leroy (...voting Republican...)

Edited by leroy
spelling and grammar !!!!
We had a huge crowd at the monthly Nashville chapter meeting of the TFA. Bill Haslam was our featured speaker. He spoke well and was well-prepared to speak to us, unlike last month's experience with his opponent. Mayor Haslam addressed our concerns about the newly-passed restaurant carry law, saying he supported it and said he would sign unrestricted carry if the bill reached his desk. There were other questions about small-business regulation, cutting the state budget, ObamaCare, and many other issues. Mayor Haslam spoke intelligently about these issues, and agreed with the crowd that there is too much government intrusion in most areas, and that reducing spending and bureaucracy is a difficult, but necessary, job. He flatly stated he would oppose any attempt at a state income tax.

The Mayors Against Illegal Guns issue was addressed, and Mayor Haslam said he signed his name before realizing the left-wing, anti-freedom agenda, and has regretted it since. given the amont of flack he has received on this issue, I feel safe in saying that he has 'seen the light'.

I came away feeling that while Bill Haslam may not be the perfect pro-gun candidate, he is one we can work with and who will not oppose us. Further, he understands the need to lessen state and Federal regulation and taxes in order to build our economy. So, I will be voting for him, and don't believe I'll even have to hold my nose to do it.

And yet he voted to ban guns in parks in Knoxville. Seems to me he is just saying what he thinks we want to hear. Like I replied to his campaign when I got one of their e-mails asking for my support, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my vote.

And yet he voted to ban guns in parks in Knoxville. Seems to me he is just saying what he thinks we want to hear.

That's what scares me about him.

Bill Haslam at TFA meeting last night

Very good, detailed review, 1gewehr! Thanks!

And yet he voted to ban guns in parks in Knoxville. Seems to me he is just saying what he thinks we want to hear. Like I replied to his campaign when I got one of their e-mails asking for my support, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my vote.

We can discuss the real and/or perceived shortcomings of Mr. Haslam until the cows come home but suffice it to say, he isn't perfect. However, of anyone running with an actual chance to win, he is, I think, hands down the best choice we have.

To be blunt, we have Mayor Haslam to vote for because 1) we had two other conservatives running for the nomination with him and 2) we have no provision in Tennessee for a run-off election whenever a candidate doesn't get at least 50% + 1 of the votes cast.

Those are the primary reasons we have the choices we have for the general election...we can lament that all day long but it won't change anything for this election cycle.

And yet he voted to ban guns in parks in Knoxville.

As Mayor he doesn't vote one way or another. City Council passes ordinances and they chose to let the existing law stand. There was no vote nor was there any attempt to repeal the pre-1986 ordinance in place prohibiting firearms in parks. There was not enough support among the Council members to make a change.

Now, he could have gone before the Council and endosed or otherwise supported the repeal of that law but he did not.

Edited by Garufa
....would you vote for him though ....

Yes. I simply will not vote for a Demorat, no matter how winsome. McWerter is a Demorat of the worst kind -- i believe nothing he believes. It's really a 'hold your nose' or lesser of evils vote thing.

Leroy

Every person that stays home and chooses not to vote for Haslam could be helping McWerter. Even though I don't care for Haslam I have no doubt that he will do a good job as Governor and be a much better choice than McWerter. He will get my vote.

We can discuss the real and/or perceived shortcomings of Mr. Haslam until the cows come home but suffice it to say, he isn't perfect. However, of anyone running with an actual chance to win, he is, I think, hands down the best choice we have.

To be blunt, we have Mayor Haslam to vote for because 1) we had two other conservatives running for the nomination with him and 2) we have no provision in Tennessee for a run-off election whenever a candidate doesn't get at least 50% + 1 of the votes cast.

Those are the primary reasons we have the choices we have for the general election...we can lament that all day long but it won't change anything for this election cycle.

We did not have 2 other conservatives running. Maybe 1. Wamp has been in Washington for far too long. Even without Wamp, I don't think Ramsey would have had enough support to overtake Haslam.

Given the options, I don't see how anybody could not vote for Haslam. You can say you are holding your nose, but he is better than the majority of the people we generally get to vote for imo. Look at Washington. Is anybody there that you really want to vote for?

Is there any video, like from the last event? Would like to see how he responded and the like.

My feeling is he is talking the talk, but wont walk the walk.

I am not voting for him. Everytime I have heard him asked about the Bloomberg gun coalition he plays it off and never really answers the question.

I think he is self serving as most politicians are.

The guy is spending more than a million of his own cash, I would have asked him why and what's in it for him?

I am not voting for him. Everytime I have heard him asked about the Bloomberg gun coalition he plays it off and never really answers the question.

I think he is self serving as most politicians are.

The guy is spending more than a million of his own cash, I would have asked him why and what's in it for him?

Never thought you'd vote for McWorser...wow.

The Mayors Against Illegal Guns issue was addressed, and Mayor Haslam said he signed his name before realizing the left-wing, anti-freedom agenda, and has regretted it since.

So, either

A. he signed his name to join up with a group without even knowing what the group is, what they stand for or what they have done or

B. he knew exactly what their agenda is and signed up, anyway.

In the case of A, he is an idiot. It isn't like he couldn't 'Google' the group and find out exactly what they are all about in a minute or less. In the case of B, he is a liar and a (closet) anti-gunner. Neither of those possibilities is high on my list of attributes I want to see in the next governor. I personally don't see a guy who has been in the business world as long as he has just signing off on something without even knowing what it is so I think the answer is B. Either way, I believe he is as slimy and crooked as they come - he just puts up a good front. I further believe he will be a piss-poor governor. Unfortunately, of the two choices most likely to win, he is probably the least objectionable.