Recruiters told they can accept openly gay applicants.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

And to the rest of you laugh all you want. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. Deal with it. However I dont resort to cracking jokes at the other side :)

I thought we were having a decent debate. Apparently most just want to have their side reinforced on here. Oh well you cant please everyone.

The nice thing I have found in law school is that very intelligent people can have completely different opinions on any given issue.

Edited by 85rx-7gsl-se
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to the rest of you laugh all you want. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. Deal with it. However I dont resort to cracking jokes at the other side :D

I thought we were having a decent debate. Apparently most just want to have their side reinforced on here. Oh well you cant please everyone.

The nice thing I have found in law school is that very intelligent people can have completely different opinions on any given issue.

I think it's the holier than thou attitude and the inability, decision, whatever to realize your question has been answered repeatedly over 20+ pages. Most people end a debate when they come to a dead-end on winning over the other side. Once you kept going, well...that's when people started cracking jokes. As for the law school intelligence jab, well I know alot of dumb lawyers.

You're still new here, buck up, you'll grow a thicker skin eventually. We're good guys! I bet most of us wouldn't even check you out in the shower. :)

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I dont think I am holier than though and if I came across that way I am sorry. Thats why I try generally not to bring up law school because people get the wrong impression.

I dont think most participants in this thread ever clearly answered why the separation between the sexes should be protected but not the other without just giving a conclusion that:

A) It doesnt matter in the military; OR

:) Its just not the same thing

Instead of actually answering the question with some reasoning. Thats why I continued. Maybe I missed something and again if I did I am sorry. One thing I am taking away though is maybe the military has really just changed so much since when my dad was in the Army IDK.

But I think there is no point in me going any further. At the end of the day you all have your opinion and I have mine.

I dont think I am holier than though and if I came across that way I am sorry. Thats why I try generally not to bring up law school because people get the wrong impression.

I dont think most participants in this thread ever clearly answered why the separation between the sexes should be protected but not the other without just giving a conclusion that:

Instead of actually answering the question with some reasoning. Thats why I continued. Maybe I missed something and again if I did I am sorry. One thing I am taking away though is maybe the military has really just changed so much since when my dad was in the Army IDK.

But I think there is no point in me going any further. At the end of the day you all have your opinion and I have mine.

I think the basic problem is that people think that gays are just going to be all over some dude in the shower once they can be "out". Many of us here have told you it's just not the case. The showering thing is a minimal amount of time spent out of each day. We're saying it's a non-issue because it is. If you know that 2 guys in your platoon are gay and that bothers you then just don't shower with them. It really is that easy. At most, yea the military can put up stalls in the shower. Easy as that.

As far as things changing since your Dad was in, he's probably what, late 40's early 50's? Depending on when he left out then yea I'd say things are much different.

In my view the shower thing comes down to one thing and one thing only and that is the mentality that "I don't wanna shower with the homos." Well no one is going to force anyone to.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

As long as no one is forced I can concede the issue. It was just my impression during boot camp and the like you didnt have the the choice to say "No I think I will wait for the next group" lol.

And yeah he would have went in around '80.

As long as no one is forced I can concede the issue. It was just my impression during boot camp and the like you didnt have the the choice to say "No I think I will wait for the next group" lol.

And yeah he would have went in around '80.

Like I said earlier, I did my basic training at Fort Knox in 2004. We had time at night and in the morning to shower and shave before lights out and before formation. Most guys would just go in, get it over with and roll on. Some guys would wait until everyone was out for various reasons.

Now some schools that have smaller groups and stricter time limits may be that way, but again that could easily be fixed by putting in stalls.

And to the rest of you laugh all you want. You have an opinion and I have an opinion. Deal with it. However I dont resort to cracking jokes at the other side ;)

Some of us are cracking jokes because we're bored, and tired of repeating ourselves to someone who either can't or won't understand what we're telling them.

As for opinions... well, without facts and/or experience to back them up, they're pretty much worthless.

That sounds like a fair description of what you've been doing, since you have no first-hand knowledge of the subject we've been discussing, and have disregarded and dismissed what people who do have first-hand knowledge and experience here have been telling you.

There's some very intelligent people here too... Most at least as bright as you are, some far more so. And most will, again, base their opinions on facts and experience, not emotionalism, or some need to simply be right.

Of course we've also got people here like Strel, that may very well be quite intelligent, but you can't tell by looking... :shake:

I think it's the holier than thou attitude and the inability, decision, whatever to realize your question has been answered repeatedly over 20+ pages.

Actually, the words that come to mind for me are "Sanctimonious", "Pretentious", and "Arrogant", and... well, never mind. You get the idea. ;)

As for the law school intelligence jab, well I know alot of dumb lawyers.

Yep, same here... and they're people who've actually made it through law school already. :eek:

You're still new here, buck up, you'll grow a thicker skin eventually. We're good guys! I bet most of us wouldn't even check you out in the shower. :cool:

Now don't go makin' him any promises. :lol:

Law school has little or nothing to do with how we perceive you. It's entirely how you've presented yourself.

You're speaking to people who are soldiers, ex-soldiers, cops, ex-cops, lawyers, etc.... People with first-hand working knowledge and experience with what we've been discussing. Yet you, with none, or next to none, think that simply having an opinion, without anything more than that, carries the same weight, strength, whatever.

I'd be curious to see how that one serves you in court. :P

B) Its just not the same thing

Instead of actually answering the question with some reasoning.

Yeah, they did, you simply didn't recognize it, or you didn't like it.

Thats why I continued. Maybe I missed something and again if I did I am sorry. One thing I am taking away though is maybe the military has really just changed so much since when my dad was in the Army IDK.

The whole world has changed in the time between then and now. I know, I was there.

There probably hasn't been much point in any of us going on, for several pages now. Apparently we just didn't have anything better to do with our time. :)

As for opinions, as I've said, yeah, we all have 'em, and some are worth a little more than others... but in the end, they're all worth only what you've paid for 'em. ;)

Edited by Jamie
Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Yeah I know I came out too strong on this probably. However some issue in life you didnt have to be there to have an opinion on the situation. However considering the responses in this thread maybe the recent survey that apparently the armed forces has been conducting came out with the same opinion as most of you all. If so then great. As long as the soldiers are happy then I have no grounds to complain.

• Moderators
However some issue in life you didnt have to be there to have an opinion on the situation.
But the opinion of someone who has been there might be worth a little more. You know experience and all, just sayin'
As long as the soldiers are happy then I have no grounds to complain.

See that's the thing about being a soldier, even if they aren't happy, they still have no grounds to complain. They knew what signing on that line meant when they did it and enlisted or accepted a commission. So if they don't have any real grounds to complain, then anyone else, well...

wait a minute... you try not to bring it up? you mentioned it 7 times since you joined the board in Sept. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=253546

get over yourself.

Edited by Daniel
corrected time frame.
Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Personal experiences are great and as long as the personal experience and opinions on the matter are a fair representation of the armed service forces as a whole then it seems we have our answer.

On the grounds to complain thing yes they dont really have any grounds. That matter could swing both ways though right? (No pun intended). But it does seem like it would be somewhat in the countries best interest to at least consider the happiness of our armed forces?

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
wait a minute... you try not to bring it up? you mentioned it 7 times in like two days. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=253546

get over yourself.

Yes I brought it up in here not to try and make people think I am better to them but rather to let people know I am not a 22 high school dropout just running my mouth.

Again I never intended to assert I am smarter that the other members of this site and if it was taken that way then again I am sorry.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

And again I said I did in this thread. What I said was I generally avoid doing so and considering most of you no nothing of me outside this thread and my intro you probably wouldnt see that. The reason I often avoid it is because instead of people taking it as "this person may actually have some intelligence" it often gets taken as bragging/flaunting etc.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been in law school? My guess is not very long.

( I'm basing this on your answers and responses, compared to what I'm used to seeing and hearing out of the attorneys I've dealt with, and my own time in court, not your age or anything of the like. )