Haslam draws heavy fire over gun permits stance

Guest trigem

Haslam draws heavy fire over gun permits stance | theleafchronicle.com | The Leaf Chronicle

MEMPHIS — Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam, who tried to soothe gun supporters by saying he could accept doing away with state handgun permits, battled a barrage Thursday from critics who called the proposal "irresponsible" and "stupid

Haslam got caught this week in Tennessee's long-running skirmish over gun rights, an issue he said he never intended to put at the forefront of the campaign. He was asked at several campaign stops about his assurances to the Tennessee Firearms Association on Monday that if elected he would sign a bill to eliminate a requirement to obtain a permit to carry handguns in public.Democratic opponent Mike McWherter told a news conference that the Knoxville mayor's position was "over the top," newspaper editorials questioned what motivated the comments and term-limited Gov. Phil Bredesen warned that such a move could hurt the state's ability to recruit businesses.

Haslam stressed he wouldn't introduce such a measure, telling supporters at a breakfast meeting in Memphis, "I'm in favor of leaving the handgun permit requirements the way they are now."

Bredesen told reporters after an event in Nashville that governor shouldn't accept every legislative initiative.

"Just because the Legislature does something stupid doesn't mean the governor has to go along with it," said Bredesen, a Democrat.

Bredesen said he counted the carry permits among issues that hurt efforts to attract businesses.

"When we're doing as well as we are with recruiting companies and really on a roll, I really hate to have this anchor dragging behind us," he said. "Which is people doing some things that most reasonable Americans would think are not consistent with American values."

There are about 300,000 handgun carry permit holders in Tennessee. To qualify, they must pass a handgun safety course and pay a $115 fee. Permits are revoked for felony convictions and can be suspended for pending criminal charges or for court orders of protection in domestic violence cases.

"Having some gun regulation clearly is in the interest of the public safety of Tennesseans," McWherter said outside the Memphis convention center where Haslam spoke to state prose

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Armgdnman

Son of Ned!!!

I prefer the name "Boss Hog Jr."

When is everyone going to realize that no matter how you vote, the politicians are still going to get in.

One of the few things I agree on with Lewis Black was when he said, talking about politicians, "they are all ****, the just smell different".

I love how the elected officials call our civil liberties enumerated in the Bill of Rights 'anchors'.

I also love that we live in a free enough state that jackwagons like the current governor can't stomp on our rights.

NRA Endorsements:

Haslam B- (turd sandwich)

Son of Ned C- (foot long turd sandwich)

I swear I need to be the one running. I guess it is 2 late for me to put up signs. You know where my votes would be. I would be aiming to have us a Gold star state for carry. 18 and up as long as a person has no felony convictions or mental health problems.

So to paraphrase South Park, no matter who wins we are either going to have a Turd Sandwich or Giant Douche?

douche-turd.jpg

Sad part of it, though, is that his statement that he would sign a permitless carry bill undoubtedly lost him more votes than he gained.

I'd bet the farm that if you ran an actual referendum about no permit carry, it would fail hugely.

Matter of fact, I'd bet half the farm that a referendum about handgun carry period would fail.

This is one reason our republic fortunately doesn't really have majority rule, and shouldn't.

- OS

Haslam's statement sounds like someone willing to say anything for a few votes. I don't know anyone who thinks the carry requirements are unfair. Two things to remember, anyone traveling to another state has to have a carry permit and bad guys don't have permits now. I don't think this is an issue.

Haslam's statement sounds like someone willing to say anything for a few votes.

It's hard to tell until he gets into office. My take on Haslam's position on guns is that it's not on his list of priorities at all. He's ok with the existing laws, so there's nothing for him to do. When he discusses his priorities, it's about budgets and the other bigger issues.

Son of Ned, on the other hand, seems to have some anti gun activism in his blood. Some of the folks that aren't willing to "hold their nose" and vote against him may change their minds after his first term. It's a bad idea to allow any anti to get more power.

Don't forget Haslam was a member of Bloomberg's mayors against guns group. I heard Mike Holloway, use to put on gun shows in Knoxville area, on a radio show really put Haslam down when it came to supporting gun rights. All this being said, is Ned's son any better in this area?

Don't forget Haslam was a member of Bloomberg's mayors against guns group. I heard Mike Holloway, use to put on gun shows in Knoxville area, on a radio show really put Haslam down when it came to supporting gun rights. All this being said, is Ned's son any better in this area?

Rock-----Hard Place. Haslam-----McWherter.

I'd just as soon all you anti Haslam voters stay at home so my vote for him counts.

Anyone voting for McWhatshisname is making a mistake by default. I would gladly take

a chance with Haslam, for the next four years, than the Democrat.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Haslam's statement sounds like someone willing to say anything for a few votes. I don't know anyone who thinks the carry requirements are unfair. Two things to remember, anyone traveling to another state has to have a carry permit and bad guys don't have permits now. I don't think this is an issue.

I wouldnt say that the steps for getting the permit are unfair. However requiring that the person be 21 instead of 18 to get the permit may be unfair.