Haslam company bans firearms in parking lots

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

Haslam company bans firearms in parking lots | wbir.com

Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam's support for requiring businesses to allow their workers to store guns in vehicles parked on company property conflicts with the policy in place for the 20,000 employees at a family-run chain of truck stops.

Company spokeswoman Cynthia Moxley told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Knoxville-based Pilot Flying J prohibits workers from storing their firearms in their vehicles at both its travel centers and corporate offices.

Haslam, who was president of Pilot until he was elected Knoxville mayor in 2003, told reporters a day earlier that he didn't know the company's policy on guns in parking lots.

Gun advocates and business interests have been divided over efforts to repeal a state law that lets companies decide whether to forbid employees from keeping guns in their cars while they work.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47
and that he wasn't even aware of the policy.

now this could be very likely true. but the fact about hte policy could bring some interesting thing though

HR/Legal answers to the president of the company

This is true, but do you think every decision is run through executive staff? Many executives give broad leeway to how management runs their areas of responsibility.

EDIT: Many times it's insurance that dictates these types of policies too.

Guest bkelm18
HR/Legal answers to the president of the company

And that depends on who the president of the company is. Like it has been said, Haslam hasn't been president of the company since 2003.

I don't like the guy and am proud I did not vote for him.

He is a big phony, multi billionaire trying to play off like he is a good old boy who is a friend to everyone.

he is in it for the money he will make off of being the head goober.

Guest Sgt. Joe

He is a big phony, multi billionaire trying to play off like he is a good old boy who is a friend to everyone.

its called lip service, saying what the peeps want to hear. this newest gun support thing of his IMO is just for the gun owners vote. They all talk out of both sides of their mouths.

I could not agree more with the above two statements.

It is just like him claiming that he did not know what the Mayors against guns group was all about. Only he didnt figure it all out until right before saying he was going to run for Gov. He is no better than the worst of them. I didnt vote for him either and voted for someone who has no chance of winning....ME.

At least I wont have a foul taste in my mouth if he wins and when he turns on us as the political winds blow.

Nah .. he's so very very rich that more money doesn't mean that much to him, except as perhaps a means to an end.

There's plenty of rich pols I detest, but I must admit that if they were rich going in, more money in their pockets is seldom the cause for graft. It's the ones that have to get their nut AFTER getting in office that are more susceptible to that.

Haslam's just hooked on the power now, probably like most governors/US reps and senators of a certain age span sees the possibility of riding the notoriety to the presidency, depending on the cards he gets dealt and how he plays them.

- OS

I kept my word and didn't vote for Haslam either, I saw a list of independent canidates earlier and voted for Carl (Two Feathers) Whitaker. I liked his webpage and positions,he's a conservative libertarian .

http://www.carlwhitakerforgov.com/ Edited by K191145

I thought that we had been over this several times before.

Haslam is not 'pro-gun' in any fashion you or I would define it. BUT, he is not anti-gun. It's just not an issue he cares a whole lot about. He may not be pro-gun as an issue, but he IS pro-gunowner if they vote for him!

McWherter IS anti-gun. He believes in government telling you what kind of guns are evil, no guns in parks or other public places, no guns in restaurants, and pretty much the whole liberal package of restrictions.

To me, that leaves an easy choice. You can vote McWherter and understand that he will veto ANY pro-gun bill that gets on his desk as well as work towards removing existing freedoms. You can vote for a third choice and know for a fact that your candidate will not get elected. Or you can vote for Haslam, and know that he will sign what WE put on his desk. And also know that he understands the power that firearms owners hold in this state!

+1 Well stated.

Haslam is not 'pro-gun' in any fashion you or I would define it. BUT, he is not anti-gun. It's just not an issue he cares a whole lot about. He may not be pro-gun as an issue, but he IS pro-gunowner if they vote for him!

McWherter IS anti-gun. He believes in government telling you what kind of guns are evil, no guns in parks or other public places, no guns in restaurants, and pretty much the whole liberal package of restrictions.

To me, that leaves an easy choice. You can vote McWherter and understand that he will veto ANY pro-gun bill that gets on his desk as well as work towards removing existing freedoms. You can vote for a third choice and know for a fact that your candidate will not get elected. Or you can vote for Haslam, and know that he will sign what WE put on his desk. And also know that he understands the power that firearms owners hold in this state!

He belonged to an ANTI-GUN organization called Mayors Against Illegal Guns headed by Michael Bloomberg and Richard Daley. He only quit and joined the NRA when he decided to run for Governor so he was no doubt ANTI-GUN before he decided to run, and most likely still is but such a bootlicking politician he will claim he is not to buy peoples vote. The bootlicker will win but at least i'll know that I didn't sell my principals and help him win. The easy choice, and only choice for me was to not vote for either Bill (Bootlicker) Haslam or Son Of Ned.

Guest HexHead

If I had to vote for one of these two ass hats, it would have been McWherter. At least he's honest about being anti-gun. The enemy you know is better than the one that stabs you in the back.