NEWS FLASH about Gun Belts. Prepare to be stunned.

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

I ordered my first gunbelt from Midway USA. It was the leather casual belt from 5.11 tactical.

As it turns out - and here's the good part. Using a good gun belt makes wearing a gun on the waist (IWB or OWB) much more comfortable and easier to conceal. I know, I know, you are all totally shocked.

I mean, who knew??? :rolleyes:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my first gunbelt from Midway USA. It was the leather casual belt from 5.11 tactical.

As it turns out - and here's the good part. Using a good gun belt makes wearing a gun on the waist (IWB or OWB) much more comfortable and easier to conceal. I know, I know, you are all totally shocked.

I mean, who knew??? :rolleyes:

:D

Guest spoolie
I tell friends all the time, a good gun belt makes carrying so much more comfortable. I have a Wilderness Tactical, it is some of the best money I have spent on gun stuff. I've converted a couple but still have a few non believers.

x2. The wilderness Tactical is an awesome belt.

I use a Dickies leather belt that I bought at Walmart. It is one of the style that has double 'tines' with two rows of holes. Being gluteally challenged (as in I don't have much of a butt) those type belts seem to hold my pants up better, in general. When I bought it, I did the 'test' where you pinch the edges of the belt toward each other to make sure the leather is stiff enough to not collapse. This one was and holds my carry guns in place just fine. This type does, eventually, soften a bit with wear and I find I need to buy a new one once a year or so. I think they run in the neighborhood of ten or twelve bucks.

I mean, who knew??? :D

Ok, dumb question, but WHY is the 5.11 belt so much more comfy? I've looked at them, but I can't find anything special about them. Can you explain what makes them more comfy than the Dickies from Walmart or the Fossil from Belks that I wear?

Ok, dumb question, but WHY is the 5.11 belt so much more comfy? I've looked at them, but I can't find anything special about them. Can you explain what makes them more comfy than the Dickies from Walmart or the Fossil from Belks that I wear?

I can't comment on the 5.11, but for me I am much more comfortable wearing a handgun on a belt that is thicker than a leisure or dress belt and one that has some stiffness to it. I am not always jacking up my pants.

this thread got me thinking about my wilderness belt being to long since ive lost a little bit of weight. So i called them and they wanted like 30 bucks to shorten it!!!! the sowing kit is coming out boys.

• 5 months later...

I worry about that too. I want to lose weight, and my Cobra Rigger Belt may then require some reworking. I don't think I could do it myself though. The Cobra is just great. ONLY problem with it is that it is so wide it wont fit thru some belt loops. But then I have a really really thick bullhide belt that will usually fit. Both make carrying a gun so much easier.

I use a Dickies leather belt that I bought at Walmart. It is one of the style that has double 'tines' with two rows of holes. Being gluteally challenged (as in I don't have much of a butt) those type belts seem to hold my pants up better, in general. When I bought it, I did the 'test' where you pinch the edges of the belt toward each other to make sure the leather is stiff enough to not collapse. This one was and holds my carry guns in place just fine. This type does, eventually, soften a bit with wear and I find I need to buy a new one once a year or so. I think they run in the neighborhood of ten or twelve bucks.

I hadn't thought of the pinch test, but it seems like a good one so I tried it on the Beltman belt I'm wearing. I squeezed as hard as I could with thumb and two fingers of both hands. It barely moved at all. My fingers compressed more than the belt (and now they hurt a little). Oh, and I've worn this belt daily for 4 years.

Understand the difference now?

The stiffness means your belt doesn't have to be tight to keep a gun from flopping around.

Seems like a super stiff belt like that would be very uncomfortable when sitting, driving, etc?

Maybe for the first week or so until you realize it doesn't have to be tight to hold your pants up. Most comfortable belt I've ever had. And most durable by a mile.

I can't comment on the 5.11, but for me I am much more comfortable wearing a handgun on a belt that is thicker than a leisure or dress belt and one that has some stiffness to it. I am not always jacking up my pants.

;) Agreed. I made my own belt using stiff 1 3/4" wide 12 oz leather. I'm a big guy & it's actually more comfortable than my regular belt and keeps my pants up better.

I have a Wilderness tactical and it is indeed comfortable, but also looks like a "tactical" belt. The Black hawk dress belts I've been using are excellent, fairly priced, and look like a normal belt. I can wear them for any occasion without worrying about looking like I want to be wearing a photog vest as well. ;)