Nashville attractions

Erik88

The girlfriend and I are going to Nashville around the 1st of the year and we were wondering what we should see/do.

We would like to know some good places to eat and she will of course want to know where to go shopping.

Is the Grand Ole Opry worth the money?

What do you all recommend?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and she will of course want to know where to go shopping.

Keep her away from Green Hills, or your wallet will disappear quickly.

Keep yourself away from Guns & Leather, or your wallet will disappear quickly. :up:

Is the Grand Ole Opry worth the money?

If you like country music, then you should go at least once in your life. It's an institution that's unique in the music world. The weekend shows are pretty good & keep the pace moving; each artist usually does 2 songs, then on to the next one. There's a mix of old & new, big-name acts & people you've never heard of.

If you're looking for music entertainment, there are quite a few bar/music joints around town that have good talent on a regular basis. Quite a few of the top-quality studio & touring musicians, as well as the songwriters play together locally. Rules for 21 & over will vary depending on the time of day & the particular venue. Most of them are non-smoking.

Some good (small/med) venues:

- 3rd & Lindsley

- 12th & Porter

- The Bluebird Cafe

- Douglass Corner

- Zanies (stand-up comedy)

- Exit/In (everything but country)

There's a strip of places on Broadway (downtown) that are similar, but tend to be more touristy.

The Ryman Auditorium is a historic venue that hosts quite a few concerts, as well as the Grand Ol' Opry during the winter months.

The Wildhorse Saloon is a med/large size venue downtown that has been booking larger bands that wouldn't sell a big venue like an arena. Check out their schedule on Ticketmaster.

The Nashville Arena (former basketball arena) hosts most of the medium-size tours.

The Bridgestone Arena is an ice hockey arena that's bigger yet. It hosts the Nashville Predators games, as well as most of the large music tours.

LP Field is our football stadium that is home to the Tennessee Titans. Only the largest shows go there.

If you like theater, The Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC, pronounced "Tee-PACK") always has various Broadway shows going on.

Classical music? The Schermerhorn Symphony Center hosts the Nashville Symphony & will be re-opening from flood damage just in time for your visit.

- There's a science museum (Adventure Science Center).

- The Frist Center is a good art museum.

- The Hermitage is Andrew Jackson's mansion & estate. Lots of history there.

- Several antebellum mansions (Cheekwood & Belmont come to mind) have been turned into museums.

- Franklin (just south of town) has the Carter House & the Carnton Plantation that are dedicated to Civil War history & the Battle of Franklin (one of the bloodiest of the whole war). Downtown Franklin is a nice area that's very pedestrian-friendly to stroll through.

- The Nashville Zoo is kinda small, but tickets are only $14.

- There's the Nashville SuperSpeedway race track.

Opryland Hotel is huge, with 3 separate indoor atriums. The Christmas lights & decorations are incredible. Park across the street near the Cracker Barrel & walk in; otherwise you'll pay $18 to park at the hotel.

What brings you to our fair part of the state?

The Country Music Hall of Fame is a must see. There are several things around Nashville I really like; the Nashville Zoo, The Parthenon, The State Museum, Fort Nashboro, The Hermitage, and Gruhn Guitars. Opryland Hotel is worth seeing, and a cruise and dinner on The General Jackson is a nice, yet expensive endeavor.

For a nice steak (with prices to match) I recommend the Palm or Flemings. You can't miss with either one. If you are wanting to stick to a budget then you need go no further than La Hacienda (beware the 64 oz margarita). For more midrange eateries I recommend Noshville (deli), Midtown Cafe, Kens (Japanese), Browns Diner (meat and 3), Swetts (meat and 3), Bricktops, Rotiers (meat and three)... and for a taste of old Nashville, the Elliston Place Soda Shop.

I eat out a lot, so if you let me know what kind of food you like I can make other suggestions.

As for attractions, don't forget the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Frist Museum, the Tennessee state museum and Cheekwood are all good stops.

If you like beer go to the Flying Saucer. They have over 100 on tap. I don't think you gf can get in at night but am pretty sure she can during the day/afternoon. What kind of places to you want to eat? Meat and 3? BBQ? Steak? Seafood? Fancy type place?

We aren't picky, it would be nice to go some place that is unique to Nashville, not some place we can go here in K town.

Last time we were in Nashville we ate at Darfon's at 2810 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN. and really enjoyed it. Fox's Pizza Den next Door makes one heck of a pizza too.

i am still trying to find a place in Memphis that can make a pizza as good as Fox's Pizza Den. I am very picky about my pizzas and that maybe my problem.

Edited by memphismason

Ok, you are staying at the Hilton Downtown for New Years? How long are you staying?

Good location, as there is a big bash on Broadway (yes, from the convention bureau who is anti-gun, but will prostitute themselves, if the money is right, just ask the NRA) Nashville Music City New Year's Eve Bash On Broadway and scheduled events on New Years: New Year's Eve in Nashville Music City

IF you like Football, the Music City Bowl will also occur: Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl - Nashville's Holiday Tradition, ACC vs. SEC Teams to be announced. Even if you do not go to the game, do go to the BATTLE OF THE BANDS On Dec 29th 5-7. Its on 2nd Ave and then followed by a free concert by Little Texas.

On the 29th the Zac Brown Band will be in Concert at the Bridgestone Arena.

Demos is on 3rd ave and Commerce. INEXPENSIVE BUT GOOD. (I know, I know, those are supposed to be mutually exclusive, but not at Demo's) Demos' | Home DO check their Lunch Specials out:

http://www.demosrestaurants.com/lunchspecials.cfm

IF you want Country Food: Arnold's Country Kitchen on 8th Ave. Hole in the wall atmosphere, food excellent. Meat and 3.

Arnold's Country Kitchen at HollyEats.com Yes, you are not seeing things, that is Peach Pie WITH Meringue... and is a piece of heaven...

More Country Goodness? Monell's is a sit down and pass the plate home cooking! The Saturday Breakfast is a MUST... Monell's Germantown Nashville

Bar-b-que? Rippy's on Broadway will fit the bill...

Of course, the downtown country and western bars are on Broadway, and the regular clubs are on 2nd Ave. IF you want something out of the way, a little less crowded, there is Printer's Alley. The Printers Alley

Yes, the Opry is worth the $. Particularly if it is in the Ryman Auditorium. Remember, it is a Radio Show, which gives a far different vibe than a concert.

Nashville Predators is a good idea. The Country Music Hall of Fame is EXCELLENT. Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum | Nashville, TN » Country Music Hall of Fame

The Frist Center for the Arts, if you want to be artsy: Frist Center for the Visual Arts - Nashville, Tennessee

As for Shopping: Well, two locations spring to mind, Cool Springs Galleria (typical mall) or the Mall at Green Hills (upscale Mall.) Sadly, IMHO, Nashville is not so shop friendly... (Worked as a mens' clothier for a few years, and no, you do not get access to the high end lines, you have to go to Atl, or C O with a "hicag" in the middle to get great styles...) FYI: Opry Mills Mall (beside Opryland Hotel) was closed by the Flood, and will probably not reopen..

Tell ya what. PM me with specific likes, and I will point you in the right direction. I am a native Nashvillian, and my Mom used to be a tour guide for those big tour buses (back in the 80-90's pre-closure of Opryland Theme Park.) Really, there is a lot to see and do. From Watching football and Hockey, to Historical sites (from Civil War, and earlier) to going to look at the country music star houses. Heck, I will even point you to some nice gun shops... LOL.

Edited by HvyMtl

Food

Another +1 for Jack's. Great BBQ.

+1 for the Loveless Cafe

If you want some really awesome pizza, try Pizza Perfect on 21st Avenue. Pizza Perfect: General Info

There are some places in "The Gulch" that are all urban-hipster chic. Sambuca and Casa Laredo come to mind.

Wild Wasabi is a sushi place in Cummins Station (Demonbreun and ?9th?). It's yummy and not overpriced.

Attractions

+1 for the TN State Museum. It's F.R.E.E. and that spells free. Hours & Admission > Visitors

Connected to it is the TN Military Museum. It is also free, but has different operating hours. They have some cool stuff. Military Branch Museum > Exhibits

The Capitol building is just up the hill and is also free. A couple of hours could get you through all 3.

On the back side of the Capitol is Bicentennial Mall. It's a park. Has some really nice features reflecting different parts and times of our great state.

Weekends at the Farmers' Market (just past Bicentennial Mall) are like a flea market atmosphere. If you need an airbrushed T-shirt of President Obama with some big gold dollar signs in the background, this is the place to go. :D

Opryland Hotel is pretty neat. +1 on the park across the street and walk over.

Since you'll be downtown, there's a place on 2nd Ave just up from Wildhorse called Laser Quest. I think there's one in Knoxville, but ours has one of the best mazes I've seen.

If you're a country music fan, do the Hall of Fame. If not, it's a lot of money to look at rhinestone jackets and guitars.

+1 on a Predators game if they're at home during your visit.

Shopping

The chains and malls will be primarily Cool Springs and Green Hills if you're downtown. Green Hills is the high-end stuff.

I'd recommend going to the Loveless Cafe for breakfast, and then driving the Natchez Trace Parkway down to Leiper's Fork. It's a small town with some unique shops, but not so many that you'll go crazy waiting for her to finish. From there, drive on to Franklin. Have lunch at H.R.H Dumplins or Meridee's. Both are just off the square. More shopping there too. Come back to Nashville on I-65 from Franklin and you'll go right by Cool Springs. Stop for the chain stores if she's into that.

Edited by monkeylizard